Bilateral TKR Having a bad case of the post bi-lateral blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was about time for an update.:dancy:

Back in February when I had my bilateral knee replacements I was in despair, I simply couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I am nine months post-op this week and I am a new woman. Virtually no pain, back in the exercise class as often as I want, sleeping well, walking my dogs on farmland and I completed a 5K sponsored walk a few weeks ago!

My surgeon has signed me off to do anything I want.

I wanted to pass this on to anyone who was in my position - it DOES get better, it really does.

I hope to start playing some tennis soon and expect that at about a year post-op I will be effectively normal for the first time in my adult life after thirty years of pain and operations

I hope this helps somebody as much as this forum helped me

Carolyn
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Carolyn... I think its very nice of you and others who take their time to post their success stories. New comers are literally craving good news about knee replacements. Other sites give bleak or scary news, but Bonesmart is where to come for the good stories and advice, and you Carolyn are one of the good stories. It will cheer up those who are still in recovery, and it will give hope to the ones who are facing the surgery and are scared...Thank you and I hope more people post about their good recoveries.
 
Hi Carolyn,
Thank you for coming back with such a positive follow-up report.
 
Thank you so very, very much for the absolutely great update!

I really appreciate it---those who are now in the depths of TKR or BTKR recovery can now know that there is a great life awaiting them---you have helped out many of our members!
 
Hi guys.

Thank you. I have been meaning to post for a few weeks now as I know that when things were really bad for me all I wanted to hear was that, given time, things get better!!

I can't pretend that it has been easy. It has been a really tough road and I have worked really hard, but nearly 9 months on, I can honestly say that my life has changed beyond all proportion and now I can see myself getting back to doing all the things I want to!!

To anyone having a difficult time, hang in there, work as hard as you can and you will get there too.
Good luck to everyone who has had surgery and about to have surgery in the future and thank you to you all!

C xx:spin:
 
@LabLoverUK Thanks so much for your update. I am 13 weeks out today from my BTKR - which I think is right where you were with your original post. While I have come SO far, I am still so very tight and stiff always, which makes it so difficult to try to return to regular activities. It is very helpful to read your update and know that there will be a time that I will finally feel better and be able to participate actively in life. Glad you're doing well!!
 
Hi ljrfrm,
13 weeks on was still very early days for me. I have to be honest and say the stiffness has been one of my biggest problems. I still get quite stiff now but it is definitely getting easier. I fine the exercise actually helps reduce the stiffness (even if I get stiff again later!)
Chin up and I I wish you lots of luck!!
C x
 
@LabLoverUK Thanks, I have no choice other than to hang in there. I actually have found myself having moments when I feel good, which is a first. I agree, I've notice the more I move and stretch, the better I feel.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Having a bad case of the post bi-lateral blues
update, @LabLoverUK! We love success stories---particularly those from folks who've had a rough row to hoe! TIME & PATIENCE gets you there in the end---and it's just wonderful to know you finally made it and things are going well!

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
It is indeed a long---perhaps very long process. For five months I had a limp, then, at six months, I began to get to 80%-85%---it was not until around eight months where I could say that I was at 90%-95%---and I slowly progressed the rest of the year.Ten months---back to normal---I felt better than I did three years before my BTKR.

I can certainly appreciate what you endured and what you went through, not to mention how you felt at times.

Your story, though is tremendously inspirational, and others can see that their future is a bright one, like your life is now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a great report!!! I so appreciate you taking time to post it. As the others have said, folks in the early days of their recovery or when they are awaiting surgery want to know that success is out there waiting for them. You've lifted spirits today, I promise you!!!

You'll notice that I've added a hashtag to your post in the hopes that it will make it easier for people to find it.
 
Thank you for the awesome update. I look forward to hitting that kind of milestone. Congratulations!!
 
I probably has as good a Bilateral recovery as can be had. I was walking with no walker at 6 days and stopped taking pain med's at 10 days and went back to work three weeks to the day after surgery which included driving 100 miles each way to work each day. Certainly I had stiffness and some discomfort which slowly faded away by about 8 months. I still have a little tightness but I have days where I don't even think about the knees. I have a bit of clicking in both knees which comes and goes. It is a long haul for sure but hang in there, good times are coming:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom