THR Has anyone had experience of femur fracture during hip implant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Chris. Funnily enough, I didn't pay much attention to the fracture as he was so proud of the replacement! I was supposed to get a plate and three screws removed from my femur (been there from age 18 months) but even with special drills, he couldn't do it. But he was so thrilled that he managed to successfully drive a shaft in behind the screws that he just tossed out the fracture info. I need to know more. I have not had much pain......more like discomfort. But I pop a percocet or extra stregth tylenol. My anesthetist visited me three times in hospital and stressed that it is important to take pain meds to increase mobility. I was quite touched. Once home I stopped the dilaudid because it bunged me up but switched back to the percocet, which I was taking before surgery. I did go through three days of awful thigh pain. But reading some posts on this site I quickly related it to leg lifts with weights that were part of my physio program. Once I stopped that..I gradually felt better. I know I have a way to go.. he said he thought I'd have a limp of some sort but I'm determined not to. He removed a lot of scar tissue from previous surgeries so I will have to relearn how to walk properly. My goal is to go as planned to Argentina for a month in mid-Feb! I wil follow your progress and send good vibes.
 
Wow, that was some work that he did there, no wonder he was so proud of it and deservedly so!

How nice to have a special goal to aim for. I am sure that you will make it too. You have obviously been through a lot so your positivity deserves to be rewarded.

Bye for now

Chris
 
Hi there Vida

Leg lifts with weights.. With a fractured femur.. With due respect, I would recommend that at just a tad over one month since your surgery, this is fairly aggressive.. I think you are very wise to ease back on those for a while.

It is so important to stay ahead of the pain and there are stool softeners to help with the 'bunged up' feeling.. Maybe have a chat with your OS about your pain med regime. :)

Adequate pain cover Is going to help enormously with your mobility to try to prevent a limp and regain a normal gait.. We all strive to achieve this. Are you using walking aides?

I am keen to follow your journey :)
 
Poppet, in Vidas defense she did get full clearance from the OS, Tammy and I couldn't believe it, but I am onboard with you too, if it hurts DO NOT DO IT!!.
 
Thanks Beth, bellaroma I read Vida's post on this thread which stated 'I quickly related it to leg lifts with weights that were part of my physio program'.

I must go read Vida thread - ta!
 
Hi all, thanks for caring. As some of you know a few days ago, at 6 weeks, I got clearance to full weight bear. My OS is very happy with me. I asked about restrictions obviously, and have only to sit 'unladylike' and never rotate inward. I'm to go back in 7 weeks for more x rays. Meanwhile back to physio for new abduction exercises. I am forever grateful for the major lesson I learned from this board about not pushing to pain and if it hurts or I suspect it causing pain, I stop doing it. I walk very well wih a cane -- not so well without. Dreadful in fact but in just three days it has improved. I have the length differential issue, although I watched him measure them and they are the same length. I am not worried about that though, thanks again to this site for the comforting information. That off-balance feeling, not the discomfort of healing muscles etc. is clearly causing the limp. I expect it to even up with time. Today I went to the pool...we have one here that you can walk into. Grabbed a noodle and cycled then dangled - heaven. I even did a bit of PT in the shallow end.... way more comfortable. I have the discomfort and bunging under control, and am taking it slowwwwww. I still plan on the Argentina trip in mid Feb (we rent an apartment for a month and there's no moving around plus we have biz class tickets on points) but will decide for sure in a few weeks. I'd like to be a lot more stable. So its all good.. for now. Best wishes to everyone from rainy Vancouver.
 
Hi Vida

So glad to hear that you are now fully weight bearing. What a difference that makes doesn't it? I was exactly the same as you at six weeks. I could walk really well with one crutch but within the following six weeks I gradually got better until one day I realised that I was walking without hardly a limp and without a crutch. It sounds silly but it was a surprise! On odd days I would have to use the crutch but only briefly as I was told at my twelve week check up to stop using the crutch altogether.

Now at 19 weeks I can walk normally which is wonderful and it won't be that long before you reach that stage too. I do still have some discomfort and the operated on area is still very sore. It seems that only stiffness affects walking briefly after sitting for a period of time.

I wish you well in your continued recovery and look forward to reading that you are walking normally again.

Chris
 
Hi everyone,

Thought it was about time that I updated my posts. I am now seven months into recovery and I am pleased to say that the fracture that occurred during implant has now healed which is a great relief to me as I must admit it did worry me somewhat. Also during my six month check up I was told that my good leg is now 5cm shorter than the other. I now have a heel lift in my shoe and I was amazed to find that as soon as I walked with it, I could walk completely normally and without any pain whatsoever. What a difference! No limping now (only a little through stiffness after sitting for too long), and no more of a strange feeling and pain at the top of the femur when walking.

I feel that the worst is over now, there just remains some soreness, I cannot lie on my new hip and I still have to use a sock aid but these are very minor problems in comparison. Also my get up and go which got up and went has just decided to get up again and come back to me gradually increasing in strength week by week.

I have to go back to the hospital in what will now be 11 months time.

I sincerely hope that you all will have good recoveries, I will still continue to watch all your threads.

Take care,

Chris


Josephine

Could you please advise when it is ok to have any dental work done following a THR or do I have to contact the hospital where I had the surgery to check. I would be grateful for your advice as my dentist thinks that it is 6 months but asked me to enquire.

Thank you

Chris
 
I was told to wait 3 months before visiting the dentist, unless its an absolute emergency. Some surgeons want you to take antibiotics every time you go to the dentist, others don't worry about it. My dentists prescribed two pills, which I took an hour before my cleaning and prescribed enough so I could take them before my next two visits Glad you are doing so well.
 
Evening
Lovely to hear from you and that you are doing so well. I am still struggling and see the doc again in may.
My gp insists I have antibiotic cover for all treatment at the dentist even cleaning.
Are you getting about any better. Bet you didn't go out in that snow earlier ? Was very cold on the school run.
Hope the boys are ok
Px
:kittykiss:
 
Hi Millie

Firstly, lovely to hear from you too. Secondly not so lovely to hear that you are still struggling. I am really sorry, wish I could wave a magic wand for you and make you well again. Are your problems due to the implant moving do you think or are you at a loss as to know what could be causing the trouble. I was really hoping that you were getting on much better as I haven't seen any recent posts from you.

No I haven't been out today, I just couldn't face the cold. It was bad enough watching my grandson playing rugger one night last week - that will teach me!!

I do hope that things improve for you before you see the doctor again. Thank you for info regarding dental treatment, I will get in touch with my doctor and surgeon as I don't want to take any risks.

Do take care, keep in touch

Best wishes

Chris
 
Hi Chris
I think I am just taking the scenic route. The hip still feels funny although is much better than it was. Am hoping they will x-ray it when I go in may and we will see.
I am hoping as the pain is reducing maybe it is settling but I am not walking very good.
At least I am better than I was last year
Xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom