THR Happy to be past the surgery

@CricketHip somewhere here I came across your instructions on Manual Lymphatic Massage to help reduce swelling. It’s a game changer for me. I’m on THR #2 in two months and the swelling really was accumulating. I’ve been careful to ice and elevate which seemed to get me through the worst of the first surgery swelling, but my system seemed to be bogged down with a second surgery so soon after the first. I had many abdominal lymph nodes removed during a hysterectomy 10 years ago. As I have been reading about the lymphatic system it isn’t surprising that mine needed a little help clearing the accumulation of fluid. I‘ve been doing the lymphatic breathing and light massage for a couple days now and can really notice an improvement in swelling. Thanks for the information.

I’m back to all my frustrations about moving between my walker and my cane. I’m sick of the walker. It’s in my way. I’ve been moving around my bedroom and my bathroom without the walker, but I can tell I’ve got quite the uneven gait without the walker. It also seems to me that I’ve got that same limpy gait with my cane. Now, maybe this is just sort of residual gait memory from when my hips hurt. I don’t know. when I walk with the walker I walk very smoothly. I’m going to check in with my physical therapist about it all today and see if I can make some sense out of it. And yes, I know it’s only 2 weeks since hip#2 was born and I need to be patient. But I am starting to come out of my surgical fatigue fog and realizing that I’ve been stuck in the house for over 2 months. Blah!

Your blahs and frustration are as real as the fact of your baby hip... Is there any way for you to get out with the walker for a bit of fresh air and brief change of scene?

seems to me that I’ve got that same limpy gait with my cane.
Is your cane the correct height and are you using it correctly? Here are some tips from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons on canes:

Proper Positioning

• When standing up straight, the top of your cane should reach to the crease in your wrist.
  • Your elbow should be slightly bent when you hold your cane.
  • Hold the cane in the hand opposite the side that needs support. For example, if your right leg is injured, hold the cane in your left hand.

Walking

• To start, set your cane about one small stride ahead of you and step off on your injured leg.
  • Finish the step with your good leg.
  • Be careful not to lean on the cane, which can contribute to limping.
Just remember that you are early days in this second recovery and your body needs more healing time.

:flwrysmile:

Your blahs and frustration are as real as the fact of your baby hip... Is there any way for you to get out with the walker for a bit of fresh air and brief change of scene?
That’s exactly what my PT told me. “Try to walk outside for 10 minutes .” She also said my gait was very balanced using my walker and that my hip was only 2 weeks old and I’m doing great. Thanks .

I’m ending my week on an high note after having my two week post op visit to the surgeon yesterday. She removed the dressing from my incision and everything is looking terrific. She also gave me permission to start driving again. This is a really big step forward for me in my full recovery. I’ve been off my opioid meds for a week and not really needing to take much Tylenol. it’s wonderful having both hips functioning well. I’m driving myself to physical therapy this afternoon and maybe I will stop for a Dairy Queen. Life is good.

It's so good to feel "normal" again, as in driving yourself to appointments. Hope your PT session is a good one.
Enjoy your favorite DQ treat, you've earned it! Happy Weekend!
@Freyagirl

I had a bit of a worrisome day yesterday when the area around my incision seemed to look extra red and hot. It also looked to me like at least one area the incision was opening a little. I just had the bandage removed four days ago, which is a bit of a pressure bandage and all the stitches are under the skin. Nothing on the surface.
So it was the weekend and I called the orthopedic, urgent care. Fortunately, they were just a half an hour behind, and I was able to get a quick spot in line.. however, before I got there, the nurse called and said that if indeed I needed some stitches put in, I needed to go back to the hospital ER. She said there was no one at urgent care who could do stitches. So I trekked back to the hospital which is about 45 minutes away and spent about four hours having various people look at it. They did a variety of blood tests and sent a picture of it to my orthopedic team. The end result is my blood test showed no infection whatsoever and my orthopedic team said it looks fine. So that’s all good and I can have a relaxing Sunday after my Saturday night at the ER.

Sorry you had to go through all that, @Freyagirl, but glad to read that everything is okay! Hope you are resting, icing and elevating today.

Aww. Glad you received the reassurance needed to put your mind at ease
I would have wanted it looked at, too!
I hope you are enjoying a restful day of ice and elevation. :flwrysmile:

Sorry to read about the anxiety you likely experienced yesterday.
Thankfully you had it checked and all is well. I hope you're having a peaceful Sunday.
@Freyagirl

After my Saturday ER visit, I was supposed to check in with my ortho team on Monday. They pretty much told me that I belonged to the ODIC. The extra redness and swelling around my incision was from overly enthusiastic, physical therapy, and time spent with three of the grand children. Today I have put myself in a time out in my recliner with my feet up and some ice. I used the day to catch up on phone calls and socializing with friends. I think it’s about the same time with the first hip that I overdid it. I am mostly off painkillers and feeling really good, but obviously not recovered. Well, no permanent damage done. I have physical therapy again tomorrow, and will strive to take it easy.

Devil's advocate here: Do you feel you need the formal PT?

Devil's advocate here: Do you feel you need the formal PT?
6 PT sessions were Scheduled and required by my surgeon. They have been beneficial in helping me do stretches to deal with sciatic pain and work on my gait. That said, I move a lot and would recover fine without it, l think, because of the information I get on this site and from my Medica account. Honestly, I don’t do the exercises at home, just the stretching. I also work to apply my PTs gait suggestions. The overdoing it is my bad.

Thank you for clarifying. It sounds like "you've got this!" well in hand :yes:

I am so dissatisfied with how I walk with my cane I thought that I would try a set of trekking poles. I borrowed a set from my daughter-in-law and have been starting to walk around the house with them. It’s definitely more exercise than walking with the walker, but it feels way more balanced than using the cane. I think these will come in handy when we head to our cabin in a few weeks because the ground there is very uneven and the poles will help me walk around outdoors safely. In the meantime, I’m trying to do a lot of practicing with them first in the house and then around my front yard. One thing I’ve learned from my PT is that using the cane and the walker has made me rely a lot on my upper body strength as I sort of lean over and carry part of my weight on my arms and shoulders. I can’t do that with the trekking poles and that’s probably a good thing to getting back to a straighter walking style. My PT has also been working with me to stand up from a chair without using the arms to push myself up. This is a process that will be very helpful for when I am out and about and don’t have chairs with arms or a toilet with a riser. I have been able to get out a couple times with friends and it’s wonderful to feel like I am finally passed the surgery mode.

Brilliant idea!

I thought that I would try a set of trekking poles
I went for a walk this am using my Nordic walking poles. It helps maintain a balanced gait and provides some upper body exercise. They are somewhat different than trekking pole, which I also use, in that they simulate the arm motion of cross country skiing. The poles strike the ground to the side and behind the walker rather than in front. The Nordic walking system may be too early for you now but it could be useful when you are more comfortable with your balance.

Took my trekking poles to PT and she assessed my walking which she said was very even and correct. I’m happy with that. She told me to stick with smooth surfaces for a while until I’m stronger. I also worked on balance and am vastly improved from when I had one operated leg and one wobbly leg. It’s a big improvement. I can also go up stairs step over step although downstairs is still toddler style. I’m getting out more and starting to feel like I’m moving out of full time recovery mode and into my new double hippie future. Whooohooo!

You're doing so well, Freyagirl and truly seem blessed in your recoveries.
It's not even three months since you began your journey and you've come so far.
May it only get better...Happy Saturday! :SUNsmile:
@Freyagirl

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom