Guest viewing is limited

THR gwenc's recovery

PT will most definitely not improve things and will definitely make things worse!

I've edited your image because it was a bit .... revealing! But I can see there that my suspicions are pretty much confirmed. Of course a loosening can be seen in xrays! He's either denying it or doesn't know how to read them properly! I spent many years of my life working with very good hip surgeons and stood in while they taught their juniors how to read xrays (no MRIs then!) so I learned a lot more than many doctors did! And I am telling you that your stem is loose!

Remind me, have you tried to get a second opinion?
 
Going next week.

So @Josephine, in your opinion, you are 100% certain that the stem is loose, and the only thing to do is have revision surgery? Is that correct?
 
Last edited:
@gwenc ugh. There is hope, there is always hope, and whatever happens, it WILL become alright. I am glad you're going for a second opinion. I'm sorry it's going like this-- no fun at all. Do the horses know when you'e upset, and give you extra love like a dog or sometimes cat? I'd imagine they would. They look so loving and intelligent...(can you tell, I am SO not a horse person...)
 
in your opinion, you are 100% certain that the stem is loose, and the only thing to do is have revision surgery? Is that correct?
One can never be 100% certain of these things but I've pretty much as sure as I can be. And yes, a revision is the only answer.
 
Hi @gwenc. I also had very weak Left quad muscle so much so that when I started PT in early July, I could not move/slide my leg to the side when laying on my back. The Therapist had to assist me in moving it for several weeks. Gradually the neuromuscular connection came back and I slowly gained the ability to do that. However the thigh right above my knee felt very weak and I kept mentioning it. In early August one of the therapists did deep muscle massage and used a type of metal instrument to aid in the massage of that area above my knee. For several days afterward that area was sore but the massage helped alleviate the tightness in the muscle and it began to feel better. Over this month I've slowly gained strength although it still has some weakness especially walking up a slight grade. It just takes time. I continue to do exercises at home but it's a slow process. I always spoke up in therapy if I felt they were pushing me to do something that hurt or I had concerns about. I would kid with them and say "The patient has the right to decline to do this" It didn't happen too often though. I think it's very good you are getting a second oppinion also. Take care and be hopeful! It will all sort out.
 
So sorry Gwen. Small chance Jo , as she stated, could be unsure...
Please don't think me cheeky as I direct you to Jo's signature.

Please note: I am an orthopaedic nurse of 58 years experience in orthopaedics and joint replacement
 
I'm really sorry...really really.
You will do what you have to do so that there will be no more damage. OK?
Praying for you to find some peace with this.
 
I really am at a loss for words but I do want to let you know I'm sending prayers your way for a successful outcome to all this. I, too, think it is a very good idea that you have already set up an appointment to get a second opinion. We never want to see this happen to anyone and I am so very sorry you have to go through this. I can't even imagine how stressful it must be. Hang in there and know that we are all here to offer encouragement and support for you and don't be afraid to vent at any time if need be.
 
Gwen,
My heart truly feels for you in this.
Revision is amongst those words none of us wants to hear following joint replacement.
While you've yet to receive a confirmation, Jo's opinion, given her experience, is difficult to challenge.

Looking back over your thread, in your original post, you stated you are in very good shape.
That was mere months ago. You still have your age and physical health working in your favor.
You understand completely how this process works and IF necessary you will find the best revision surgeon and face this head on, with more strength and resolve than the first time.

You now realize how quickly one comes around post surgery minus the set-backs you suffered this time.
You have the love and support of family and friends and the many prayers we'll send up on your behalf.
You are not alone in this.

We will be here to encourage and cheer you on. I believe you will find your way back better and stronger
than before and have that second chance to grab hold of life, moving forward pain free. Please cling to that,
sweet lady.....it's coming.
@gwenc
 
@gwenc You've been on my mind and in my prayers for days now.
Just want you to know that I am thinking of you.:curtsey:
 
Thinking of you often @gwenc
Praying for your peace of mind in all of this.
I hope you get some concrete answers at your appt this week so you can best determine how to move forward.
Please stay in touch.
Best wishes for a peaceful day.....
 
Thanks @Layla ! All of your prayers and well-wishes from all of you are very valuable to me. I had my first PT yesterday and it went well. Have not got my second opinion firmly scheduled yet, but hoping for end of this week or beginning of next. I will keep everyone updated after that. Also thanks to @Mojo333 - your prayers and thoughts are much appreciated.
 
@gwenc I had a dream with horses in it last night! I must have been thinking of you, as I was all day yesterday. I'd gone back to my own xrays, of which the right strongly resembles yours, and the left does too but no little "protrusion of the bone" under the bottom of the stem. I was a little concerned, given what Jo has been saying. Anyway, I had my "8-10 week followup" today, and the PA was very pleased with the placement of both stems. I grilled him a bit! He said that the difference in apparent position in mine is due to the angle the images are taken from. They do one picture pigeon-toed, and another turned out and op leg bent with toe on floor. I could go with that interpretation! He mentioned a "ledge" that they like to form under the bottom of the stem, but not too much of one. I'd have liked to go into that further, but I'd already had two or three people's worth of what was supposed to be a 5 minute appointment.

How's pitty pat walkies on the new saddle?? :horseriding:
 
You crossed my mind a few times today Gwen.
I hope you're doing okay.....hanging in there.
Wishing you a relaxing weekend.....@gwenc
 
Hope you are getting answers Gwen.
Still sending out prayers. Take care of yourself this weekend.
 
Oh thank heavens...praying that all will continue to go well so no revision necessary. What exactly are they working on if you don't mind me asking? Certain muscle groups?
Prayers can be answered...I know this has been scary.
As I'm sure you are already doing as there are concerns, please try to keep any jarring activity to a minimum as well as heavy lifting etc. As active as I have had to be these few months, I have tried not to participate in those type of activities. I want that prosthetic stuck like glue.
No medical advice given to me in that regard, just an abundance of caution I suppose on my part.
Today will be a good:angel: day!!!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom