TKR Grateful for Bonesmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still doing very well - that feeling I've heard others refer to as the "other side." Saw my OS last week and he was impressed with my progress, so I told him about Bonesmart. He seemed genuinely interested and wrote down the site.
Going down the steps feels weird, up is fine now. Are there any particular exercises that prepare us for going down steps that someone could recommend?

Thanks all and have a beautiful day!
Marc
 
I don't know of any exercises--I just practiced going down a few steps every day. Gradually it got better.
 
Hi @sporti9 your recovery has been a very positive experience for you. It's great reading your posts!!
The stairs can be tough. Take your time. That is also an area where you cannot take it fast. One wrong move or slip can cause a fall. My bathroom is upstairs so I had to mess with them early in recovery. Did ok but my first day home I slipped. Not fun. Used a convelescent potty in the bedroom for a couple weeks. Each day I slowly worked on the stairs. Still have to take it slow tho.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok, I really overdid it past weekend. In-laws in town, my sons birthday and my wife surprised me with concert tickets on Sat night (my birthday is today). I woke up today completely fatigued pain. I took the day off slept, iced and slept some more. Now I get what others have shared about taking it easy when you start feeling good, you still need to get rest.
 
@sporti9 Well, that's how most of us learn about overdoing it! You'll find that you recover more quickly each time. It's just part of the process of getting back into your normal life. I'm at three months post-op today and still have those overdoing it episodes. No biggie - I just take it slower, rest and ice. The pain level should be easier to control now. It sounds like you had a fun weekend, so it was worth it!
 
Hi it's been a long time since I've checked in. I am 4 months out from surgery and doing very well overall. For those of you who are new here I wanted to share that by following all the advice and support from this forum my recovery has been amazing. I am now looking forward to getting my other knee done next August.
Now I am working on my core strength, which was compromised by this difficult surgery. I am also happy to be completely done with pain meds. I do wish my ROM was better, it's at 95 and standing for any length of time is still painful, so I need to pace my activities. For those of you who are 1 yr out from surgery, have you noticed improvement in standing/walking for long periods? Just curious when I can go for longer hikes, but of course my left knee is still pre-op and won't last long hiking without pain meds.
Again, good luck to all of you who are new here and best wishes for the holidays to everyone.
Marc
 
How wonderful to hear from you!!! And even better to know that BoneSmart helped you get through your first surgery. You know we'll be here for you for the next one as well.

I am one of those people who have noticed improvements well after a year. I like to do a lot of home remodeling projects and find it easier to do things now than that first year. I can stand and walk for as long as I want and ladders are much easier. One of the things I did to regain strength was to start back at the gym with my personal trainer at about a year out. She works primarily on core strength and balance, but we do slip in some leg strengthening too...and I ride the bike. I truly believe I could do anything if I worked up to it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom