THR Graduate Of Spring 2011 Thr Class Now A Graduate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Told you the staples were not a "biggie"..... don't they feel good to be out? Sounds like you are cruising along!
 
And, don't worry about the look of the scar. I think I am proud of mine.... you should post yours (I did). When it finally stops raining down here in Sarasota, I'm going to get a little sun on it and post an update. The scar is a fine tradeoff for the horrible pain in my opinion.

We all have scars.... some are internal, some external, right?

Take care of yourself.
 
Hello all, just shy of four weeks post opp and for the most part all is going smoothly. One nagging issue has been plaguing me since my surgery. Often times when stand from a sitting position I find myself getting light headed. This also often happens if I exert myself to much during therapy. During my surgery I lost a lot of blood and bled through the wound for the first two days post opp. No blood transfer was given and I was monitored closely and given daily blood test. I was told I was borderline anemic and given iron pills. At my two week post opp doctor visit I was told I could stop taking the iron pills, which I did. Could this light headedness be due to the blood loss? How long could it last? Should I start taking the iron pills again? My next doctors visit is in three weeks. Thoughts and opinions please?
 
Hi Dave.
I don't have a clue whether the iron is an issue or not. I'm going to tag Josephine; so she can respond...if the tag works! Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Lightheadedness when standing up also sounds like it could be a low blood pressure thing, or a low blood sugar thing. Is your PT concerned when this happens during therapy? Definitely sounds like someone should be monitoring what's going on.

Sharon

Josephine;
 
Sharon - for you! How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you :wink: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...er-how-to-answer-when-someone-tags-you.15223/

The body will replace lost fluid within 24 hours, red blood cells will be replaced within 3 to 4 weeks. However, takes about eight weeks to restore iron lost. The picture you give is most likely associated with a drop in blood pressure at those points. This could be from anaemia, insufficient fluid intake or a reaction to your pain meds. I think you should get checked out by your GP or OS sometime soon (but it's not an emergency).
 
Dave,

Were you not advised to take Iron Pills for two weeks before your surgery? Mine are called Ferro-Sequels. I guess each surgeon is different. At the same time (two weeks prior), I was advised to not take any OTC pain relief, so it was a really rough two weeks. I, too, had blood loss and was given two units of blood.... but I didn't have any bleed through-wound/wise.

I agree with Jo... call your GP or OS. Meanwhile, do you have a BP cuff at home so that you can check your BP?

It it's anemia (there are different types) B12 can help tremendously; but I'm no expert and again encourage you to follow Jo's advice. (She's the BEST!)

Alicia
 
Sorry about the light headiness.. Jo's the expert here...
 
You are doing great. Keep it up. Remember take a easy. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Hey, Dave, sounds like you are doing well except for the light-headedness. Hope this is just a phase the body is going through as it recovers (mine did that for a while and I also lost a lot of blood) and yes, Jo's advice is always best!
 
Hey Dave, was not around for your first, but sounds like you are well on your way with the 2nd one. Good for you. 11 hour flight? Obviously you are going somewhere far, i hope it is for fun. My doc made a 10 wk restriction on flying for me but I know others have flown much sooner.

Hope you took the advice and called about your light headedness. You certainly do not need to be risking passing out and injuring yourself. take care of yourself, Cathy
 
Hi Dave, hope you manage to get your light headedness looked at. I just want to say that I also had this issue for a while after surgery and another member Jon mentioned this in his thread not long ago. Mine did go away eventually but took a few weeks. I had to remind myself to get up from a chair or bed slowly....not that I could jump up very fast anyway obviously. Good to hear that in the most things are going smoothly. Hope you are feeling better

Take care

Ann
 
Hi all and thanks for the helpful replies. I had my BP checked today and it was 111/66, which is not bad except that I normally have high BP which is controlled with meds. That being said it is probably a little low for me. This issue doesn't happen every time and I don't feel as though I'm going to pass out, just some what dizzy for a few seconds. Since other posters had similar issues that eventually cleared up, I think I'll give myself some more time closely watching the issue. I have another doc appointment in three weeks and unless it worsens I'll address it with him then. Thanks everyone again for your input.
 
Hi Cathy. Your on the money as I am flying to Hawaii. My OS told me before my surgery that his preference is six weeks, baring any complications, between my surgery and flying. I have an appointment three days before I leave so he will have the final say so. I generally feel pretty good so hopefully there won't be an issue.
 
Hi Alicia. My OS also had me stop any OTC pain meds ten days pror to my surgery and your right it was a bear. Nothing was said about iron pills though. With my first surgery last there was minimal blood loss so maybe that was the reason. Goes to show you no two surgeries are the same.
 
Hawaii ? talk about motivation to get well, guess you got that covered

[Bonesmart.org] Graduate Of Spring 2011 Thr Class Now A Graduate
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom