Bilateral TKR Got my retreads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recovery day 18! Still seem to be moving in a positive direction, with no setbacks. Nights are still hell, but I understand this is pretty much to be expected since my OS straightened my legs. I see him in two days and will ask about muscle relaxers. Got staples out on Friday, replaced with steri-strips - 3\4 of which have already fallen off! Is this okay? Scar looks pretty good with no scabs. I am able to use my recumbent bicycle with the seat all the way back. Am able to complete rotations both backwards and forward. Not able to go fast enough to receive aerobic benefits, and can only go about five minutes at a time. My PT measured my flexion at 110 & 115 degrees. Still sleepy most of the time - I am napping more than my cats these days! I have also lost 11 pounds since pre-surgery. No complaints there, as I could stand to lose another 15! Swelling is still my main source of discomfort, and I am icing at least six times per day. But I really notice a difference when I walk now, compared to pre-surgery - no pops, crackles, grinding or pain - it is smoooooth! Flojo has no regrets! :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:
 
You are doing awesome. :):dancy:At this point you should not be biking more than 5m at a time anyways so you are doing more than great. I cannot believe your flexion - it is great. Sleep will come but that one takes a bit.

You might want to ice for longer time periods- it is not how many times but for how long. Also, are you elevating when icing. Pretty much any time you are sitting it is advised that you should elevate and ice even if it just a recliner.

I agree, no regrets and it is so great not to have the old pain when walking.
 
I have been told all through my life that icing should be done for no longer than 15 minutes per hour, so this has been my practice. Is this what one would call an "old wive's tale?" How long should I be icing at one time? What is the safe maximum? So far as elevation - I am doing this whevever and wherever possible, even when I have no swelling. I have my legs up on my foam wedge , with ice packs, at this very moment! It (the swelling) does seem to be getting better. Thanks for the advice & moral support! -FLO-
 
Hi Flo! Welcome to the other side! Sounds like you are doing amazingly well! Icing can be done for as long as you are comfortable. I would ice for hours at a time. Icing helped the pain and swelling so much! (especially the pain!!). I know its hard to break the 20 minute rule I was used to, but as long as your skin is OK (check to make sure its not too cold and "burning" your skin, you can keep the ice on as long as you like! Im at just over 4 m months post op from bilateral knee replacement and just recently stopped icing. Of course, the icing was for shorter periods as I got better, but when I went back to work 3 weeks ago, I iced as soon as I got home from work for 2 hours at a time, and sometimes went to sleep with ice on one or two of my knees (my right knee is my trouble child).
 
Wow mojoflojo your ROM at 3 weeks is close to what mine is at 11 weeks. Just remember to take it slow and easy so you don't lose all that progress. Can be a fine line between just right and too much and unfortunately most of us never know until the next day. Glad your recovery is going so well.
Stacie
 
Passed up my one-month milestone just a coupla days ago - while vacationing in the Florida Glades and living in a tent! Well, it was only for three days and we did have a good, firm, 2-foot-tall air mattress to sleep on. The weather was ideally cool with only a few mosquitoes zirring about at dusk. Hardest part was hiking the 100 meters to the toilet facility to "take a leak" during the wee hours of the morning! Oh - and the car trip was no picnic either, even though we stopped every hour in order to walk around. Still, all things considered, we had a wonderful time - but it is still good to be back home in my real bed, inside where the biting bugs cannot get to me!

I am doing outpatient rehab now, with work on the exercise bike and leg press machine. My PT showed ne how to use kinesio-tape on my knees to help the edema drain. It really works! Even though it looks like I have 4-legged octopi swimming up my legs!

Sleeping thru the night is still something that eludes me. Four hours at a stretch is about my max. I still get stiff so quickly, and this is my main source of pain. Wondering if this scar tissue will EVER soften up, and will I ever be able to get offthese pain meds (hydrocodone)? Still, I feel pretty darn fortunate. And still no regrets!
 
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I am at 2 weeks post LTKR and you said many things with which I identify.

[Bonesmart.org] Got my retreads!





Happy healing to all,
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks 2005- present
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004

My story: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/1st-tkr-surgery-veteran-new-to-tkr.21772/
 
Thank you, Kathy - for you encouraging words and the beautiful photo! I will be praying for your continued successful recovery!
 
Kinesio-tape:
[Bonesmart.org] Got my retreads!

(I know it looks funny but you can hide scars with it!)
 
Here are my scars a few days ago - uncovered and with swelling well under control.
[Bonesmart.org] Got my retreads!
 
For one month the scars look terrific! Great working healing!
Yes kineseotape can do wonders if you have soeone knowledgable!

We need to keep in touch, I am just 2 weeks behind you in recovery...and also in Florida!



Happy healing to all,
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks 2005- present
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004

My story: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/1st-tkr-surgery-veteran-new-to-tkr.21772/
 
Today is the first anniversary of my BTKR. I have not been on the forum for quite some time, but I have been recovering fabulously! My husband and I have taken up camping in places with good hiking trails, and are currently working our way through the local parks. Yesterday we hiked 12 miles of trails that had upslopes, downslopes, and LOTS of sand. I would like to report that today my knees have NO pain, whatsoever. My feet, however, are an entirely different matter! So, the short of it is that life definitely gets better. I did go through a bit of a rough spell when I was dwelling overmuch on my own frailty and mortality. I had let my exercise routine slide a bit, and I am certain this contributed. I have found that it is very important to exert myself everyday, getting up a good sweat and flooding my system with “feel-good“ hormones. And I keep my step count above 10,000 per day, whether on my bike or on foot. I like my exercycle because I am able to adjust the resistance upward as I get stronger, and I can use it whatever the weather. And we DO have some weather here in southern Louisiana! Well, that about sums it up for now. Hang in there, y'all!
 
@mojoflojo .... I'm just now reading your update!!! It's so great to know how well you're doing with your knees!!! Bravo!! And I admire your rearranged priorities in life....now YOU are first. Keep up the great work on "steps" and exercise. It will always be a good thing for you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Got my retreads!
update, @mojoflojo! It's wonderful that you and hubby can enjoy camping and hiking together with pain free knees. I know what you mean about the feet :heehee:.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom