TKR Got it done

Not sure if this is a setback everything has been going good with the knee as far as getting around the house been doing some exercises daily heel slides about 15 -30 a day about 10 leg lifts I use my walker and walk around my house about 5 times daily area nothing crazy also I go upstairs during the day bedroom bathroom 13 stairs about 6 times a day .But ever since Wednesday it has gotten really stiff looks like and feels like its swollen more on top part of the knee almost feel like something is loose inside when I walk is that possible? just a side note when I did walk up the stairs I was able to step up them normal instead of one leg in front of the other that's when it seems to have started. Compared to how it has been feeling doctor said it look great rom was 90 she took the staples out last week.Something just feel like its not right so for now just icing it a lot and back on the pain med as I was down to about two a day ...Thank You in advance for any input advice
 
I was able to step up them normal instead of one leg in front of the other that's when it seems to have started.
Something just feel like its not right so for now just icing it a lot and back on the pain med as I was down to about two a day
It seems your knee is not ready to do stairs that way.
also I go upstairs during the day bedroom bathroom 13 stairs about 6 times a day .
This many times up and down could also be making your knee unhappy.

You are very early in recovery and may need to slow down a bit.

I am going to tag @Josephine
our forum administrator and nurse director to address your concerns.
 
Last edited:
Yes I was thinking the same thing as far as going up stairs that way as that's when it seem to have started I'm going to cut back on the stairs and exercises for the rest of the weekend if it doesn't feel better next week ill get into the doctors office ...Just hope I didn't mess things up in there and thanks for your help
 
Usually it’s pretty hard that mess things up. Most likely it’s your soft tissues that were still upset from the surgery, started to feel better, then got upset again from more activity than it wanted.

New knees are very finicky and are not shy in letting us know when they don’t like something.
 
Thank you for putting my mind at ease I’m going to take it easy for the rest of the weekend and follow the ice and rest guidelines ...Again thanks for your help
 
You’re welcome!
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Just a update and so sorry Josephine as failed to answer your questions as I failed to see your last post.

I went to my 6 week follow up on the 13 of December the xrays showed it all looked good also started pt a week before that my ROM was at 110 now at 116. They have been real good as far as not pushing the pain thing as they tell me if I feel any pain to stop and going twice a week.

heel slides 30 x3 bike 10 minutes easy setting leg lifts 30 x3 all as tolerated but I’m still in some pain for a few days after PT and at night using lots of ice and advil. My doctor said they only prefer to give pain meds out for 6 weeks but I feel I still need them for pt was on but was just using the Tramadol do doctors usually have a cut off of 6 weeks? I hate to ask her for some more with the opioid abuse thing going on as I know there hands are tied
 
Make the connection. PT leads to pain requiring meds. If no PT - no need for them!!
 
My doctor said they only prefer to give pain meds out for 6 weeks but I feel I still need them for pt
If you need pain meds for PT, then you are doing more than your knee is ready for. Slow down and let your knee be your guide. If it hurts or swells at the time or 24 hours afterwards then stop it and wait a couple of weeks before you try it again.
 
No I meant to say I’m sorry that I didn’t respond to your question as to weather I would answer them So very sorry for the confusion on my part Josephine
 
If you need pain meds for PT, then you are doing more than your knee is ready for. Slow down and let your knee be your guide. If it hurts or swells at the time or 24 hours afterwards then stop it and wait a couple of weeks before you try it again.
. Im going to take off from pt for week to
let it calm down been using ice and also let my doctor know what was going on with it as well should hear back from her next week .Even though there not pushing me it still must be to much
 
You might need more and one week for it to calm down. Don't go back until it feels much better. You'll do fine just taking care of your daily needs at home.
 
I didn't set anymore appointments for next week in the mean time I'm going to do ice and Tylenol. Just very frustrated about all this I guess with what seems like one step forward and three steps back at times plus winter blues as well.Thankful for this site and for allowing me to vent.
 
Joe, it's not even 2 months since you had this major surgery. Your new knee is still a baby. It's bound to have set backs at this early stage in what is a year-long recovery.

Try not to get discouraged. As time passes, your knee is probably going to turn out just fine.
 
I know it will in time and thank you for your advice
 
After going through this knee replacement journey for 14 weeks it's time for me to start work again Monday. I drive transit bus.

Each day has gotten better my ROM is between 125-128 able to walk for a distant now so all in all very happy I got this done sooner rather than later as I'm retiring in May.

I wanna say thank you all for your advice help and listening to me whine lol and to all of you who just got it done it does get better overtime as it is true it's a marathon!
 
Best wishes as you return yo work!

Don’t worry if you have a bit of a set back as your knee adjusts to what your job entails, it will adjust over time. Be extra nice to it when you get home from work.
 
Good luck on your return to work. 14 weeks is still early days! Don't overestimate yourself anf and take lots of rest after work.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom