Guest viewing is limited

TKR golfgal's recovery

@Roy Gardiner ~ Yes!! So good to stand up straight!

Just found your exercise thread, good ideas there. The skateboard idea is great! May need to borrow one and give it a try.

To relax and release my quads and hamstring/back of leg muscles, I recently purchased a muscle roller (see image) that I use prior to stretching. I am hoping it will replace the PT massages so that I can finally stop formal PT.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] golfgal's recovery
    41Mx+gbyyvL._SY180_.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 176
Today's OS appointment, the third in 10 weeks, was a very positive experience. My OS was "impressed" with my progress, even admitting to me that he didn't think I would ever progress without an MUA. He said I'm "nearly there" with ROM (95/2), and encouraged me to continue "doing whatever it is you're doing" to get to my goal of 110/0 ROM, also saying that he believes I can do even better with time. It was SO GOOD to hear him say that, I almost hugged him!!!! :friends: After his prior scare tactics with the MUA I didn't think he'd ever be happy with me.

He also gave me a prescription for Meloxicam, 15mg once daily, to try to control and reduce swelling in my knee, and help gain more ROM. Continuing PT is my decision. He wanted to see me again in three months, I said 6 months and he laughed but agreed, and told me to contact him before then if I had any concerns.

I will do two more PT sessions, as I'm so close to the zero extension I need to feel comfortable walking and my PT has done an amazing job helping me get there. And I will continue with my 'slow and steady' Bonesmart program to total healing. THANK YOU!! to everyone!! for your support and encouragement!! :thankyou:
 
If you haven't got adhesions, which is in effect what your OS is saying, then there is no limit to the ROM you can attain.
 
that's excellent news. you have a very good and open-minded surgeon and you're lucky to have a good physiotherapist as well. i think you'll enjoy not having to go to those appointments anymore and get back to your life. i predict you'll be on the golf course as soon as the snow melts and the course is ready. my hubby goes to a golf dome in the off-season.:flwrysmile:
 
At not 3 months post op you’ll gain a lot of ROM is the days ahead. Just listen to your knee and don’t do anything that hurts.
 
@liam2015 Your prediction for my golf season is quite accurate! Still snow on the ground here in New England, and really cold too, but there is an indoor PGA golf simulator nearby that will be booking a tee time for me in a few weeks! :happydance:
 
And I predict practicing your swing will do wonders for your extension. :) Walking the links is also great for extension, so your choice of sport will naturally get you there whether you do PT for it or not. Make your knee your golfing bud and the two of you will be quite the pair!
 
Wow, I did not know there were indoor golf places! That’s great!

I have a friend who said when he retired he was going to golf every day. And now he does, most days! I asked him about when he stops for the winter and he said he doesn’t, he’s in a winter league. We live in Delaware so we don’t get a lot of snow, so he said only snow or ice on the course that day would stop him. I asked him one time if he’d had a good golf day and he said, any day I golf is a good day.
 
Hello @golfgal56 from a fellow golf fanatic also hunkered down in the great Northeast. Your recovery and rehab have been good I take it? Being motivated to get back to the game is a great reason to continue with a Bonesmart recovery plan. There's so much helpful information here and experiences shared. I'm quite early in the process but also experienced from having a RTKR in Nov 2012. Have not gotten on a consistent med schedule since I was only discharged yesterday and just beginning to figure out my highs and lows with pain management, sleep and managing ADLs and a little bit of gentle exercise to encourage my knee to move what it comfortably can. Watching golf on TV just isn't the same but will have to do, for now. I'll be watching your journey back to the fairways and greens and hoping you arrive there safely!
 
Hello @Carpediem! Yep, another golf fanatic here; I love your avatar with the golf balls. You are so early in your recovery but, as you say, you've had experience and know pretty much what to expect. Take it slow and steady, ice-ice-ice, rest-rest-rest, and listen to your knee as far as exercise goes.

For my first (and hopefully last) TKR I'm doing very well, with much of the credit going to the wonderful people and information found here on Bonesmart. At almost 16 weeks out from RTKR, I am pain free and back to doing all ADLs, only issue of the hamstring mildly hindering full extension. With this recent bout of warmish weather, so rare for New England, I've been able to play two rounds of nine-hole golf, walking with a pushcart. Hope to get out for a few more nine-hole rounds before the weather returns to winter. I've not had any problems swinging a club with the RTKR, as it's my back foot. But it's WONDERFUL to have the leg support me without pain or fear of collapse!

Good Luck with your recovery! And when you're ready -- hit 'em straight!!!
 
That’s awesome you are pain free and have been able to golf again!
 
ONE YEAR UPDATE: Today is my one-year new-knee anniversary! :happydance:

Since my last post back in February, I have been fortunate to experience nothing but good things relating to my new knee. No problems at all walking, up/down stairs & chairs, basically any ADLs, and all of it PAIN FREE! My range of motion, although only about 105 degrees max, is enough to allow me to do everything I did before, plus more! Unfortunately my golf game has not really improved, but it is so much more enjoyable without the pain. My ortho released me in July, now only yearly checkups. I am SO glad I had this knee replacement, it has changed my life for the better.

Thank you, Bonesmart, for the encouragement and support during the tough times. And best wishes to those in recovery, hang in there, it is worth the journey.
 
Yahoo! What a wonderful update! That's what this surgery is all about!
 
Awesome report and we’re so happy your new knee has given your life back to you!
 
Back
Top Bottom