BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Going4fun new hip adventure

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Going4fun, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Happy Two Month Anniversary!
    Hope you're doing well over the past couple weeks.
    We'd love to read another update when you have time.
    Wishing you a great week!
    @Going4fun

2. Juju171

Juju171 new member

The candy and flowers sounds great to thank the nusing staff. In addition to that most hospitals send out a survey asking how your experience was. This is the best place to indicate all the nursing staff was great but you felt. _______ and _____ were exceptional because they took the time to talk with you. These answers are shared with their supervisors and most facilities recognize nurses that are mentioned in the comment cards. It gives a little extra thank you....

3. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

The nine-week update:

I feel like I am at a plateau ... and I'm frustrated about it. I have been saying since week 6 that "I"m almost off the cane." Last week I walked a lot without the cane. Yesterday and today, I used the cane.

There's a weak spot in the thigh sorta below my incision, which is on the side, and that weak spot just does not seem to get stronger with walking and with time.

I'll call my surgeon's office in the next week to see if they have an encouragement. But I admit right now: I'm bummed about the hip. I know that may sound unrealistic to some ...

The good news: almost no pain ... was quickly able to go up and down steps ... and I enjoy using the cane. Energy has been great ... and mood has been good ... until now. The hip feels solid other than that small on the thigh that doesn't want to support or cannot now support my walking gait.

Now I'll note something: I'm a super-fast walker. Not sure if that has held me back or not ... Anyway, after feeling pretty optimistic all along, today I felt really frustrated, demoralized. I find myself asking--did my surgeon botch the tissue cutting or the sewing up of tissue? Such that the healing is taking longer than it normally would? I know I am speculating and guessing.

I'll talk to a nurse and if I feel the need, I will request to talk to my surgeon.

4. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Bummer, @Going4fun, to have this constant worry and frustration with your recovery. I think your plan to talk with the medical staff to see if you can get some answers is a smart move. I, of course, have no idea what the problem might be but after 9 weeks, and an otherwise steady improvement, I'd be upset as well. But glad to hear you are having almost no pain, despite the ongoing weakness. Hope that you're able to get some answers soon. Hang in there!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Two months, dear friend.
    rps20171117_054543.jpg
    Why won't this just hurry up and be okay?
    I really don't think you are behind any curve here...those muscles and soft tissue take a bit to get sorted!
    I'm sorry you are frustrated...for assurance, you certainly can see if the medical professionals have any concerns.
    Patience is hard to come by at this point in recovery.
    Wishing you a good weekend!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Layla

Hi @Going4fun
    I agree with calling the office of your OS with your concerns.
    You'll feel best getting reassurance from them.
    It sounds like you're doing well, and hopefully they'll be able to confirm that through a phone conversation
    or office visit if they feel it's necessary.
    Best wishes for a great weekend!

7. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

Thanks @Layla. In fact, just since I posted this update, my walking has improved--a lot. I don't want to jinx things and say I'm off the cane fully. But ... just in the past two days ... I notice a lot less startup stiffness. When I get out of a chair, I am moving much better than before. The tender-weak spot in my quad has gotten a lot better.

I did a little dancing last night .. and sure enough, I can bend and move much better than just a week ago. So the progress is there ... But yes, I will call my surgeon's office this coming week. Thanks for the encouragement.

And @Mojo333 thanks for that priceless diagram reminder. So true ... and so good to see--multiple times!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Layla

Thanks for updating again.
    Let us know how it goes next week.
    Warm wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving!
    @Going4fun

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mojo333

Very normal to wonder about ongoing or new aches and issues...but way too early to think all will be resolved. As you get more mobile...things tend to complain. Balance with resting, and icing.
    You've got this.:roseshwr:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Layla

Hi there...
    How's it been going since you last posted? Are you having any more luck with losing the cane?
    Wondering if you ever made contact with your surgeon's office about your concerns?
    If you have, hopefully they've offered you some reassurance.
    Wishing you a happy Sunday and a great week!
    @Going4fun

11. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

@Layla, yes, I have (pretty much) lost the cane. I held off on calling my doctor's office, because I wanted to just relax and check in with my body and get clear on what seemed to be the problem.

So I've been experimenting with some stretching and some light exercises ... I felt a weakness in my quad when I walked ... but no such much when I climbed steps or came down steps ... Anyway something told me (I would sometimes put my hand on my left side to feel the various muscles moving) that the problem wasn't with the quad ... but further up ... maybe the abductors ... it seemed the abductors weren't doing their job, placing an extra burden on the quads.

Anyway, I've been doing a little step down exercise that uses the abductors ... I try to isolate so that the sore quads aren't working, but the higher up muscles are working. It's one of the optional exercises my surgeon gives ... This exercise seemed to help a lot. And I've been just making sure my glutes were activating ... Yeah, I place my hands on my butt to feel how the glutes are working when I walk.

I got in an early afternoon walk today ... and it was the best walking I've ever done ... I'm a fast walker and that might be an issue ... in order to walk without the cane, I need to really have things working well. I can walk slowly and enjoyably when I'm walking with someone! But by myself, I walk fast. Go figure.

The other reason I held off on calling the surgeon is because each week, things get better! Morning stiffness is better, walking comfort is better ... Amount of effort and concentration required to walk without the cane--all better each week. In fact, there are times when I carried the cane with me and then walked without the cane (thinking I was close to moving off cane totally) ... and then later on ... a week later, I would realize how hard I was working without the cane (and how much easier things were becoming) ... So I wanted to let myself sink into that truth even as the panicked voice in me wanted to scream, "Why aren't I off the cane? What went wrong with my surgery?"

But I still might call the surgeon's office ... and I figure there might still be a day here and there when I bring out the cane ... Funny: a friend of mine thinks I "should have" called the doctor just for comfort ... and to stop myself from thinking so much about the hip. I guess I have this stubborn side that likes to try to figure out what's going on with my body ... to "listen" to my body and what it wants and needs.

So today was the fastest and best walk ever ... without the cane. I came home and threw my hands in the air in celebration. Thanks for asking, Layla ... I'll post a three month update in ten days!

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  12. Mojo333

:egypdance: good to hear things are getting better and better!

13. Layla

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
    Hope you're doing well. We'd love to read an update if you have time.
    Best wishes for a great day and rest of the week!
    @Going4fun

14. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

Three month update. It has been a zigzag experience ... with some blue moods mixed in for sure.

Weeks 1-4: The racer bolts out of the starting gate.

Flexibility was fantastic almost immediately after surgery and I think I showered maybe the next day after being released. I was pretty much able to take care of myself within a few days. Was off the walker in ten days. Hip felt solid and pain was minimal. Was quite mobile with the cane.

Weeks 5-8. The racer loses energy.

Around 6, I got worried. I assumed I would be off the cane at this point, and I was not. What’s more, I could feel the weakness in my quad that struggled to support my walk on the operated side. A quiet panic sneaked into my mind. Well, turned out, I needed the cane in week 6 and in week 7, week 8 and week 9 though yes, I was walking unassisted more and more. Looking back, I think the excitement from the surgery was dying down at this point independent of my walking. I really psyched myself up for the surgery and hyper-prepared and a friend of mine says I was due for a crash.

Weeks 9 and 10 and 11 ... darkness and light ... high and low ... lows and highs.

Some days I didn't use cane at all ... Other days, I needed it for short spells ... I began doing some of the optional exercises my surgeon recommended. Something told me that maybe the quad wasn’t the problem, that the problem could be the abductor or another muscle not supporting my stride and thus shifting too much load on the quad. I experimented with one of the optional exercises my surgeon gave me. It was a step-down exercise in which I concentrated to avoid using the quad muscle and instead tried get the abductor higher up engaged.

Week 12 … Walking freedom!

I don’t know if the abductor exercises helped or if the leg was doing fine without my “assistance.” But in week 12, I had my first Nascar walking experience. Walked about 2 miles downtown in Philadelphia (hanging with friends and then feeding the parking meter and going back). Felt like I was on the road with a new sports car. Of course, I overdid it ... and a few days later, I had shin pain in the operated leg.

Right now 3 months (13 or so weeks) ... the shin pain is there in the morning getting out of bed, but it's moderate and easing. Interestingly, after I take a few steps, I somehow adjust my step and can walk without pain (without limping).

The great news is that I've been to the gym three times in the last week. I got on the recumbent bike, the treadmill (for walking) and the elliptical (the shins feel great after the elliptical) and I moved a little above the lowest settings. No pain on elliptical like before surgery. Same with the recumbent bike. I also lifted weights, mainly upper body. It has felt so great to get to the gym and to be able to briskly walk to my car afterwards. This is why I wanted this surgery. And I'm still healing!

Dancing is my passion as @An54 knows ... And last week, I even put on my dancing shoes with the slippery-suede bottoms and threw on a few favorite swing-dance songs and had some fun. One reason I didn't full-scale panic about dumping the cane is that I couldn't deny that each and every week I moved better when I danced by myself.

I'll assess things at month 4 to see if I'm ready to give the dance floor a go. Of course, I'll listen to my body. Just want to thank everyone here for posting their stories and posting with honesty. I so enjoy reading others’ stories and learn from them. And thanks so much to @Layla and @Mojo333 for their warm and deft-touch support in the Recovery Forum. I learn from you guys even when you’re responding to others!

• Like Like x 6
  15. Layla

Happy Thursday!
    I like the way you've recorded your progress...and progress it is. It may not have happened as you expected but you're on your way. Putting your dancing shoes back on must have felt great. I've been reading and enjoying the communications between you and An54 in regard to swing dancing and had a vision of how heartwarming it would be to see you two hippy's take a spin on the dance floor together with your brand new hips. Aaah, a girl can dream, right? Thanks for the update and openly sharing your journey up to this point. It's inspiring to others. Also thank you for your kind words, you're very thoughtful.
    Enjoy the weekend!
    @Going4fun

• Like Like x 3
  16. An54

An54 senior

Canada Canada
    @Going4fun , Although we are not supposed to compare recoveries (because we are all different) it sounds like we are experiencing similar trajectories in our healing. Mind you I used the walker/zimmer longer than you-- for about a month-- before moving on to walking poles for another month at least, and I do recall a tweaky pain running down my op leg until about week 14. When that odd tweak finally vanished, I took that as a sign that I could ramp the activity up a bit, and danced at an event. It IS great when you find yourself out walking... for 2 miles! And when you stop feeling like a surgical patient entirely and are just getting on with your day.. your life.., that is the best of all.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    @Going4fun Thank you for your three month update. So very helpful. My body wants so much to walk by itself, but I need either one or two poles when I first get going in the morning, when have been sitting for a long period, or when I get tired. It is a back and forth, give and take as to what my body needs. I found reading your post very reassuring!! The hips themselves are fabulous, and are begging to be used. The muscles structures are saying, please take your time as we are trying to figure things out and regroup!!

I second @Layla and would love to see/hear about you and @An54 on the dance floor together! That would be so great!!
    In the meantime, complements of the season to you and yours :dancing:

• Like Like x 2
  18. An54

An54 senior

Canada Canada
    @Alitm , ummm, yes, well we live in different countries.... it's a bit awkward, but these two cheery faces will be our stand-ins -- two dancing hippys..:yes!: :yes!:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    @An54 I know:heehee:, but the thought of it just makes me smile!! :) You'd have a wonderful dance! :egypdance::egypdance: Will have to suffice!!! :dancy:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mojo333

Love your update..
    It is a journey, for sure.
    All well worth it!!
    Have a great weekend!:happydance: