Guest viewing is limited

Going to have to walk the talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nurses are the worst patients! I was talking with some co-workers about that very thing today. The busyness is two group exercise classes per day. I think it's a way to do patient education and save PTs time not having to repeat the same things a billion times. There a social sit down lunch every day. I admit I was thinking that I was going to be the "one" who does this quicker. I've really listened to all of you on the threads and have lowered my expectations of the first month.

Today the right knee hurts awful and the left is fine. I've been fearing a picked the wrong one to do first. There's was one or two people who are getting bilats and I'm second guessing my decision to not do that. The nurse side of my brain has a list of reasons that's likely not best, but I just want the pain gone and function improved in both quick. Quick I've learned is not what in this procedures equation.







Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My hospital had two PT classes a day- at 9:00 and 1:00. I think it was their way of getting patients out of their rooms for socialization and doing all the PT at once. They wheeled us down in our recliners ( we did the exercises in our recliners) unless we wanted to walk, then they pushed the recliners behind us. I thought it worked well. Breakfast, PT, nap, lunch, PT, nap, dinner. I slept a lot in the hospital!
 
That's the same sort of schedule I'll be on. I had my first full fledged panic attack about this whole thing on Friday night. Today I did some shopping and am in total misery. Pre-op on Wed that I'm sure will be just fine since I just had a required physical in August. Off all anti/inflammatories tomorrow....this should be interesting.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Going off ibuprofen was the worst part for me. It was a definite indicator that surgery was the right decision. Did I mention bringing Sunsweet Ones prunes with you to the hospital? Worked great for me- no constipation issues. Just take a deep breath - everything will be fine!
 
I've been taking Mobic for about 2 years now, too. (Not with the Ibu). My supervisor has some arthritis issues, so she has told me if it's too tough to let her know and we will figure something out.

Prunes are just the worst!! I'll have to deploy other tactics.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Metamucil (or the generic from Walmart) works well also. I used that for a few days before surgery to make sure I was "clean" before surgery. Amazing the things we discuss on this website!
 
I'm a nurse and I have to talk about poop, pooping, color, quantity, size, frequency...I'm so immune to it my family is horrified.

First day off anti-inflammatories and owwie!!! Ice, elevation and early bedtime for sure!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi GamsGoneWild,

My left knee is scheduled on the 20th, too. Sounds like we are following a similar path--my right knee hurt more today than my left. Good thing I'm going back in for knee #2 in late December.

I also had a mini-panic attack that woke me out of a sound sleep a couple of nights ago. I talked myself out of it by convincing myself that these surgeries are my pathway to a healthier life. Seemed to work, as I have been more calm since then.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-op done except for lab work the day of! The panicking comes and goes. I have so much to do personally and professionally before next week that I think that pinch is making me panic. Thankfully my husband has 19 days off with me, so I need to take the Type A tendencies down a notch.

Being off the ant-inflammatories isn't too bad actually, only been three days though and I have modified my schedule to prevent overuse.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thankfully my husband has 19 days off with me,

That is great---he can be there for you when you get home---and,after you get home, in a short while you can be on your own and that will give him time to get back to his own job. It sounds like it is going to work out great for you!
 
I don't know that I'll need him that long, but we have a 5 year old and I'll take all the help I can get!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you can pre-prepare meals---cook and freeze then ahead of time, that would take some pressure off. Once your husband gets back to work, maybe some of your friends can stop in and look in on you during the day---just don't let them expect to be entertained by sparkling and witty conversation due to the pain meds!
 
talked myself out of it by convincing myself that these surgeries are my pathway to a healthier life.
That is great!!

A healthier life---you bet---physically, you will be more active!
Psychologically and emotionally---yes!!! you will not have to worry about pain or lifestyle restrictions!
You will be able to enjoy your life ins so many different ways---healthier all the way around!
 
You are a couple weeks ahead of me, so I'll be reading your recovery thread!

I'm a researcher and organizer, as well. I've purchased/read about half a dozen books specifically on TKR and another 3 books on preparing for, and healing after, surgery (in general). I've also purchased 3 different prepare for surgery/relaxation/meditation CDs and I have to say, they have really helped me. Being an organizer, I'm also an anxious worrier (even about fun stuff, like vacations!!!) - so taking 20-30 minutes every day to meditate/relax using those CDs has helped keep me calmer. When the panic wells up, I actually find myself thinking of the exercises on the CDs and it keeps my head clear.

Something I'm also doing is keeping a stack of magazines for my recovery. Not sure I'll feel like reading my books, but I figure magazines are probably a good way of staying busy.
 
@lunula I so agree with the value of the prepare for surgery/relaxation/meditation CDs. Truly believe they helped me off to a good start on my recovery. Like you, when anxiety was building pre-op, I would breathe and get back into a relaxed state of mind. I also continue the relaxation techniques post-op...usually resulting in dropping off to sleep! :)
 
We do a meal prep every Sunday and that's the plan this Sunday! My eldest kid (22) moved home last night. Add to the chaos that's about to ensue, but will be extra hands and a driver around here.

I am on day 11 of a 21 day Deepak Chopra meditation series. Love Gabby Bernstein, too!!

I saw some on here refer to "The Knee" ruling their life. I so agree with that and cannot wait to get this over with and start living again!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It is interesting to have two group pt sessions and a "social" lunch---I did not feel like I wanted to socialize in the hospital. The first day after surgery, I got up and walked to the bathroom---the nurse asked who changed my clothing and when i said, I did---she actually yelled at me. Apparently I was supposed to call for the nurse--but since no one told me to call for the nurse, of course, it never occurred to me.

The second day I left about 4 pm. I had one pt session where I walked up and down some stairs. I could not even imagine going to a group session or a group "lunch". I left because i was afraid of infection and because i wanted some peace and quiet. My doc wanted me to stay another day, but for what? I wanted out and so that I could eat dinner at home---bliss to be in my own bed. I went to the gym for pt on day 6.
 
At our preop class, we were told not to get out of bed without "staff" assistance- family and friends were not to help. I was employed by the same hospital at one time and remember the "falls risk" training. There are many factors which affect a hospital's accreditation status and they also try to avoid lawsuits. Luckily, when I called for bathroom assistance, I had help within minutes.

Group PT didn't bother me, but I wouldn't have wanted to socialize at lunch- I'd much rather take a nap!
 
I had one pt session where I walked up and down some stairs. I could not even imagine going to a group session or a group "lunch". I left because i was afraid of infection and because i wanted some peace and quiet.

Same as skigirl.
My dr was fanatical about getting me out of the hospital asap to reduce any chance of infection.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom