Glue vs staples

@Eeek, my first knee was stapled. The home health nurse removed the staples and I honestly don't remember a lot of pain, just an "ouch" sometimes. This second knee was glued. It's still early but I don't think the scar on #2 will look as good. #1 has a very thing white line. #2 is still red but is just wider. I don't really care because I don't wear shorts but even if I did, I don't think it would bother me. My post-op is tomorrow and I'm going to ask my dr. why he changed closing techniques. I think I would have preferred staples in both legs.
 
I had glue with both my knees and thought it was great! Yes, there were stitches "inside," but I thought it was a plus that I could shower right away!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had the staples both times. I would have preferred glue based upon the experience I've had with my veterinarian using glue to suture after spays and neuters for my cats. I had no trouble with the staples, but the glue seemed more efficient.
 
I had the same experience as @Jajakio—two c-sections with staples (no fun) and two TKRS with glue (which I loved so much I would marry it—it just flakes off over time). Glue is AWESOME.
 
Oops....So sorry! I meant "stitches" inside, not staples!! I really need to read what I type before I post! Sorry for the confusion.....
 
I had lots of staples and (fortunately) felt nothing at all when they were taken out.
 
I cried too, with every staple removal on my left knee replacement. So when I had to do a revision, I begged for glue - and this was awesome. But could you have imagined my disappointment when I had my latest revision surgery on the right knee, only to find our that this had been stapled? Apparently, I didn't mention it so they went for their standard. Thankfully, this time round it wasn't as painful, but I will definitely opt for glue over staples anytime ....
 
I had half my staples removed yesterday. Didn’t hurt at all, but my skin was irritated from the bandage. Going to have the other half out on Tuesday.
 
I'd prefer glue if it was a viable option. Apart from being one less procedure to endure in recovery, there must be one less infection risk.

When I had metal staples in one of my knee wounds I managed to put some weight on them and felt the sharp pain well under the skin and it pressed onto the damaged soft tissue and bone. I've never had that with sutures or glue. A small difference but every little helps, eh?

I've also been allowed to do the staple removal myself, under nurses supervision, but that was because they were being awkward and I'm used to using hand tools.
 
Ive had staples in my scalp before, so thats what I know. I took them out myself with a hand tool. Once, I took plastic ones out of my gums after dental surgery. Took them out after my bilateral scopes also, but those were plastic stitches, and I wasnt about to drive 90 miles to have stitches removed (that surgeon was far away-I live in a rural area). My only experience with glue was when my former dog had hernia surgery. She was such a happy camper afterwards, she kept trying to play, lol...something about the idea of glue creeps me out.
 
Does anyone know if any surgeons do both, and might listen to preferences? I do keep a list of questions for my pre-surgery class coming up.
 
My OS told me before my last surgery, when I asked him, that he'd glue rather than staple. He said he has stopped stapling, mainly because so many of his patients complained about them, so now glues whenever possible.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom