TKR Glad I found you

FourCats

graduate
Country
United States United States
Good morning! I am in the initial stages of preparing for TKR and am so happy to have found this resource! I look forward to learning and sharing your experiences and wisdom.

Hi and Welcome!

Please tell us your surgery date, if you have one, and we’ll make a signature for you.

Here‘s some reading for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Thank you for the welcome and information! The date has not been set; I am currently in the stage of getting all the clearance letters from doctors and dentists. Final one today with labwork. I was somewhat surprised to learn that my surgery will be performed as an outpatient! There are a few hurdles yet to be figured out but I’m working hard to stay positive!

@FourCats Thanks for joining us. We will be here for you both pre and post op.
I was somewhat surprised to learn that my surgery will be performed as an outpatient!
We are seeing more and more of this approach. Don't worry - if you are not ready to leave the hospital they don't kick you out. Your top priority will be to get your pain managed and your medication tweaked just right on the day.

FourCats, I am also told mine will be outpatient now, too. It was NOT 5 years ago, so my bet is that Medicare doesn't cover as much hospital time now. I had a blood clot sneak out of my knee bandage last time so was in the hospital for 4 nights instead of the then-normal 3...

In the days immediately following my surgery, will my activity be limited or will I be free to do what I am able to do? I know PT will be part of the day with regular exercise time but will I be able to move about the house? I’m trying to determine how long I’ll need to ask my sister to stay, realizing I won’t really know for certain until the time comes. I have read the wonderful suggestions in the ”living alone” thread and am planning for some things I had not thought about such as routine “maintenance” for my four cats. I am rearranging my living room furniture to make my “rehab chair” more accessible. I am blessed that I inherited my parent’s home which has a walk-in shower and raised toilet. I also have other aids such as walker, cane, grabber, shower seat, and a few other things that may be helpful. I am doing some food prep and stocking up on canned goods such as soup as well as frozen meals that are easily prepared. And I learned how to make my own gel ice packs!

@FourCats You will be moving around on your own before you leave the hospital - including going up and down stairs. You can recover alone but it's nice to have someone on hand in that first week when you are trying to establish a routine.

Sounds like you have all the tools and your house ready for recovery. Well done!

@FourCats When I had my hips replaced I had 2 Maine Coon cats - big girls! I moved their feeding place from the floor to the end of my dining room table ( put water proof cover over it first). That way I could get them water and food without having to bend over. Also hired a neighborhood kid to come in every day and clean the litter boxes. The cats were wonderful companions during my recuperation - darling purr-a-medics!

I had my cousin with me for about 2 weeks - a few days before the surgery and for a week or so after. I also have a housemate (male) who was very helpful. Once my cousin left though I was home alone most of the day.

You should be able to get around your home fairly easily though for the first couple of weeks you probably won't feel like doing too much. They will make sure in the hospital that you can manage stairs, walk, and take care of basic things like getting dressed and using the toilet.

The thing I’m recalling for my first TKR is how badly the drugs affected my ability to remember if I had taken the needed medication! In my case now, soon to get knee #2, I’m also my husband’s caregiver, but he won’t be able to be very helpful as he is legally blind. So, I would make sure someone can help you arrange a super easy to use pill management system, whereby someone (not you because they don’t usually give you the prescription until after surgery) can fill up the boxes with each pill at the right time and all duly noted on the pill case! My husband did that fir me the first time, but I’ll be relying on an in-hone visitor this time to help cover that need.

Last edited:
@FourCats
Hello Fourcats,
I just wanted to pop my way into your thread to introduce myself... My name is Diana and I am assuming from your member name that you love cats. I have two of my own now but have always had cats throughout my life, indeed my avatar it's my soulmate Kitty now, his name is
Chi.
I see that you are having your surgery just two days after mine. You are scheduled for the 22nd of April, correct? I'm reaching out to a couple of different people whose surgery dates are close to mine. This is my fifth and hopefully last joint surgery so I feel it is important to stay in contact with others that are going through the same thing that I am. I can't even imagine rehabbing yet again from another joint surgery. I've already done it four times on my own, no official PT as I danced ballet for 20 years incorporating stretch classes as well for all of them. Because I feel that I have a fairly good understanding of my body, I have come to experience that rehabbing myself, through BoneSmart guidelines, have been much better for me than any physical therapist could provide.
Right now I wish I could just go to sleep and wake up and it would all be over. I am really tired of these joint surgeries I already feel the twinges of having to have another carpal tunnel release outpatient procedure done. I had one done on one hand about 3 weeks ago but I sense the other hand is not far behind...
How are you doing? I did not read your full profile so I'm wondering if you are working? Please let me know how you're doing...
ACIM

Hello, Diana! Yes, I love cats! My profile picture is of my four girls enjoying a bit of tuna juice!

I am retired on disability and live alone (well, except for my cats) which is a bit concerning but the thread about being alone has offered a lot of reassurance.

This is my first (and hopefully last) joint replacement. I had a carpal tunnel release back in the early 80s and a tarsal tunnel release a few years later.

I look forward to following our pre-op and post-op journeys.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mahaan98
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom