Bilateral TKR Getting in & out of a kayak - suggestions?

So this week I was able to use the more conventional kayak with a cockpit, and launch from the dock. Thank you's to the forum members who suggested using the ladder. It worked great: I tied the kayak about 18 inches from the dock with the seat just along side the ladder. Then I descended the ladder til the water was up to my knees. The kayak was right behind my bottom and I just lower my bottom onto the seat. It was then a simple matter of swinging my legs into the boat. Getting out was the same procedure in reverse and it didn't feel tippy at all. The only thing I'd caution about is the need for pretty decent upper body strength to pull up to a standing position from a seated position as there was no foot purchase at all.

Again, I lucked out with a lovely day and a very refreshing hour on the water. There was no impact on my knees at all.

So if you are lucky enough to be in a warm climate, and have access to a boat, get out there!!!
 
Sciatica anyone???

I seem to have developed some hip/sciatica type pain. Probably from favoring one leg while walking; but I have had this in the past. Now, in the past, my favorite fix was to really stretch the hamstring and the piriformis muscles. I have no problem performing hamstring stretches.

When it comes to stretching the piriformis, my go-to exercise is to lie flat, put R ankle on L knee and then pull back on my L thigh. This makes the R lower leg move towards my head and leaves my R thigh mostly stationary. It really forces rotation on my R knee...and while it does not hurt, it I find myself fearful of somehow unseating the artificial joint. I haven't had a chance to discuss this with my PT yet.

Anyone else have any info on this???
 
@RimRoc We just recently returned from Cedar Key. It was a chilly January but I still got out most days. My first time there was 14 months after TKR. That year my husband helped me launch exactly as you describe (!), and get then as I came back in he helped me disembark. This year he seemed to think I was OK without his help, which was nice of him, really.

One day this year the rung I depended on when the water was lowest just broke off. A few days later the next rung up began to collapse. So I had to figure something different out. With the manatee kayak I was using pushed up against the ladder on the side, I was able to turn around in stages so that I was kneeling, grab the ladder high up for stability, and get myself out. In Maine my kayaks have cockpits but in Florida I appreciate the sit on top design because of the dock launchings.

Glad you're making progress. I found that my sciatica worsened in Florida. I don't know if it was the kayaking or the biking. I too have a tight piriformis, but it's really at the spine where sciatica originates. So I'm back to the mantra of stretching and strengthening the back. You won't unseat the artificial joint because it isn't really seated. The top rides on the plastic insert which fits into the tibial prosthetic. I would be concerned more about hurting ligaments so just be mindful of those babies!
 
Hello everyone,

In case anyone's looking at my thread...I've been silent as I am back at work full time and haven't much time/energy for posting anymore. I started back to work at a somewhat reduced pace at just shy of 3 months post-op. It was exhausting but do-able. Got better week by week. I continued PT once or twice a week for the next five weeks, just "finishing" last week. My flexion got to 130 in the left knee and 125 in the right. I have some exercises to keep working on. My bigger issue is just lack of stamina and overall strength. So I've got to keep working on that too. My knees still click. But the joints don't hurt, which is really nice. The muscles in my thighs, esp. where they connect to the knee, do hurt often and still feel stiff and tight. But it does all get better from week to week. I get by with tylenol and ibuprofen.

So the standard advice about patience, is really true.

Keep up the good spirits everyone!!!
 
So glad!

The patience thing has made me remember the thousands of times people have counseled me to be patient over my lifetime. Our age (62) is not too late to learn this lesson! Now I find myself giving the same counsel.
 
I think you're doing really well! You are right about the patience, though. "Complete" recovery can take many months or even years. But, the neat thing is....one day you'll just suddenly realize how good you are feeling and that you now move normally! It kind of sneaks up on you as you go about your life.
 
Glad you are able to resume your life and thanks for checking back in as It gives us an idea of what us ahead. Wishing you continued positive strides!
Pippi


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks for the update.
 
Hi everyone,
I think my old thread finally was put to rest. I had BTKR in late November 2013, so I am now 15 months post-op. Back to work full time, hiking, generally feeling just fine and the knees are really pain free. I do acknowledge I have NOT regained my former strength and stamina. But I suppose that is more my lack of effort than any side effect of surgery at this late date.

The question I have for you folks who are long post-op: can one do damage to knee implants in the normal course of yoga practice? I am stopped from doing things like a full lotus seated posture and child's pose by limited knee flexion AND limited joint rotation. I figure I can just push for flexion to the limit of my pain tolerance. But what about medial and lateral joint rotation? can that do damage???

Please share your knowledge and experience!!!
 
I do yoga, but with some adaptions. I carry a "C" shaped pillow stuffed with little beads/ I use it when I kneel for some of the poses--like child's pose. My doctor told me not to kneel and then push back onto my butt---too much torque on the knees.

I just adapt anywhere I need to do so. I cannot sit in a full lotus, so sometimes just sit with my legs stretched out in front of me. I cannot do royal dancer since I cannot get my knee high enough to grasp my foot behind me. I can easily do the Warrior poses---I, II and III. I can do sun salutations, down dog, cobra, etc. If I have a problem with any poses, I let the teacher know and she helps me find an adaptation. I love yoga and feel that it has helped me to remain limber.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think my old thread finally was put to rest.
@RimRoc I reopened it and added these posts!
can one do damage to knee implants in the normal course of yoga practice? I figure I can just push for flexion to the limit of my pain tolerance. But what about medial and lateral joint rotation? can that do damage???
I am happy to give you an unqualified assurance that you will not damage the implants. That's impossible.

But what you can do - especially with the "just push for flexion to the limit of my pain tolerance" approach, is damaged soft tissues with either inflammatory conditions or even tears.

Pain has a very useful function - it occurs to tell us when we are asking too much of our bodies and likely to cause damage. Take note of it, back off and don't go there again!
 
go kayaking but I can't quite figure out how to get in and out of the darn thing while it is in the water , along side the dock.
I haven't had my replacements yet, but because of very weak quads since my kneecap removals, I had a problem getting in and out of a kayak, too. I found that if I wade out into the water to where my thigh is level with the side of the boat, I can turn, lean and scoot myself into it. It's the same getting out. The water has to be at least knee to thigh high and I just throw my legs over and stand up. Hope this helps you.
 
Back
Top Bottom