Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Getting in & out of a kayak - suggestions?

I'm five weeks post BTKR. I can bend to about 95degrees and my legs are fine for walking but not all that strong yet. I cannot stand from a seated position without using my hands/arms. That said, I am also pretty limber and can place my palms flat on the ground while standing with straight legs.

I am in Florida and am dying to go kayaking but I can't quite figure out how to get in and out of the darn thing while it is in the water , along side the dock. If the boat is on the beach (sadly, not an option) I'm sure I could do it.

Anybody solved this problem???
 
If a seal launch is possible, then getting in on dry land would be easier. I'm an open canoeist, and getting in isn't difficult, getting out is a lot more difficult. You have to do it as if you only had one leg!
I've tried kayaks a few times, and that's the same, only worse. In both cases, I paddled in groups and waited for others to come and help stabilise the boat (and me). The only time I tried exiting a kayak on my own, I finished up in the water.
Why not come along to https://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk, there are hundreds of paddlers on there who might well be able to help, it's International and you would be made welcome.
 
Getting out would be the worst part, since gravity will help you get in. Short of doing a half roll and swimming out, I'm not sure if I could do it and my ROM is approaching 130. (And I can do the beach thing here on our pond.) If you can get the foot blocks back as far as your knees can flex you might be able to push against them and use your arms to lift yourself up, bracing against the dock, or maybe use a rope tied to the dock to pull yourself upright-ish. That or borrow a skyhook! Or perhaps mental imagery would help--like imagining a giant anconda got in the kayak with you and you have just realized this.

I would do research on this for you by personal experimentation but would have to tote a kayak to the neighbor's pond (which has a dock) AND wait until the temperatures here in GA get a lot higher than predicted for the next couple days. Ask again in May!
 
Hi, RimRoc,
Personally, I would wait until about 12 weeks or so before doing an activity like this. You don't have much strength or mobility in your leg yet. You will also get exhausted very easily at this early stage.
I'm a sailor, and my 26 ft boat has very high freeboard, which makes it difficult to get in & out of. One has to step up & over the hull to board or disembark. At the 4 week mark, I asked my home PT when it would be appropriate to go sailing again, and she said 12 weeks. At 6 weeks, I started out-patient PT, and my new PT also agreed with that assessment. I actually cheated a bit, and went out on the boat at 10 weeks. By then I had 120 degree ROM, and pretty decent strength. I was 2 weeks away from going back to work. I didn't sail, but just motored the boat around the bay. That meant that I didn't have to go up on the deck to raise & lower the sails. I was able to get in & out of the boat fine, but the whole trip took an exhausting toll on me. I didn't go back out again until about 14 weeks.

If you do decide to go kayaking, I would strongly recommend that you have a companion, either in your kayak (if it is a double seater), or in another kayak, to accompany you. This is just in case you run into trouble. And definitely wear a PFD. If you are ocean kayaking, then I would suggest going out only when conditions are calm.
As to how to get into the kayak: Does the kayak sit level with the dock when it is in the water? Or do you have to step down into it? Stepping down into it might be more difficult, but I would suggest that you have someone available who could steady the boat for you. Go in both feet first in front of you, with both feet down into the boat, then use both arms behind you to steady yourself against the dock. Then slowly turn yourself around, still using your arms on the dock, and sit down.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your recovery, and I hope you heal quickly!

Cheers,
Roger
 
Wow, I can't imagine getting in and out of a kayak! Definitely something for you to look forward to though.
 
RimRoc,
I was originally told I would have to wait at least 7 years before I could get BTKR because of my age (fortunately I found an OS who was willing to do it after waiting 5 years). Anyway, I did not want to become totally inactive and my husband helped me by finding an open kayak. It is like a raft in that you do not have to slide your legs in but ride with them extended out in front of you. I could get on and off of this kayak (BEFORE BTKR) with my canes and my husband's assistance. I would use 1 cane (I was using 2 canes to walk at this point) and him holding on to one arm to help lower down onto the kayak. To get off the kayak was a little trickier for me (because all of my joints are unstable and I cannot have anyone pull on my arms or my shoulders would sublux/dislocate). He would pull me up onshore and hand me my canes and I would push myself up with him there to help catch me under my arms and help if needed.

I have not tried kayaking since my BTKR (September 30th) since the weather is much too cold in Washington state right now, but am hoping to once the warm weather comes. I personally would not consider trying it until at least 4 months post-op. I am just now able to get myself in and out of my jacuzzi tub and still have to have my husband available to help me out on occasion. But for an open kayak, I think it could be doable. I am thinking I may need a stool at first to lift my butt up on and then go to standing. My plan is to have my husband take the stool (hospital step-stool) that we use to take on the motorcycle for me to get on and off (before BTKR-this is also something I have not tried post-op) with my bad knees, place it behind me on the kayak so I can use my arms to lift myself and sit on it, and to go to standing from there. This is all theoretical at this point, but I have been wondering how to get back to kayaking since I was first scheduled for BTKR. Right now I am just waiting to get rid of a nasty lingering cold I got from my grandsons so I can go to an indoor pool and resume my water aerobics for PT and to get reconditioned. It is amazing how fast I got out of condition during the initial recovery phase.

IMHO IT IS STILL TOO EARLY TO TRY KAYAKING. I would also have someone go with me (I always do because I cannot swim). My husband would go in a separate kayak but always carries a tow rope in case I tire out (which unfortunately has happened to me twice) so he can tow me back.

I will be following your thread to see if anyone answers that has kayaked after BTKR, or for any better straregies. GOOD LUCK AND GOOD RECOVERY!
 
I agree about it being a bit too soon for this activity. Check with your surgeon before you attempt something like this. You have to think about what you would do in an emergency in addition to getting in and out of the kayak. Should something happen and you tipped, you might not be able to swim safely and/or get back into the boat.
 
I wasn't able to use my kayak at all last year because of the pain in my knees. I'm so looking forward to the 2014 season though. My own technique is to go in at the boat launch. I step in with the kayak's bow in the waster and the stern on the incline of the launch. I sit down and just shove off. Getting out requires paddling like a mad woman to get the bow on the incline and step out. I wear water shoes so wet feet aren't a problem. Don't know if this is useful info for you but I'd love to hear how you manage.
 
Thanks everybody. I was hoping there was some sort of magic trick I could emulate but I guess not. Given the limitations of my kayaking opportunities (no beach, only access to cockpit type kayaks, no one with big muscles to help out) I guess I will wait a bit before attempting a launch.

I'm in SW Florida where it is usually in the 70's or low 80's (tho we have a cold snap right now, too). It is SOOOO inviting to think about paddling about the bay and mangroves. Worse that happens is I go swimming!!!

So for now I will just keep working on the darn exercises and stationary bike. My big "worry" is that I will have to go back to work (up north in frigid Chicago) before I get able enough to kayak...boo hoo! I guess worse things could happen.

thanks again, everyone
 
Magic tricks, eh? Well if you ever manage to find any, do let us know, won't you? :heehee:
 
Do you have access to a pool, preferably a warm water one? Give that a try. I'm counting the minutes, practically, before I can get back in the water. I'm at three weeks plus a day, so I'm going to give it another week to make sure the incision's really sealed. Also, as for the pool -- especially since you had a bi -- see if you can find one with steps in, rather than a ladder. Much much easier to get in and especially, out.
 
Thanks for the ideas, @PDF. While there is a pool at the condo where I'm staying, there is no way to get a kayak to it. I'm just going to wait a bit. There is a group of kayakers going out, from a beach launch, in two weeks and I plan to join them. I'll be 8 weeks post op by then, and I'm confident I'll be just fine. I'm actually going to take my 85 y.o. mother with me and will probably end up towing her kayak behind me. There's some nice sheltered water in the mangroves in Sarasota bay.

Just fyi, I was advised to wait at least two weeks post removal of staples (so almost 4 weeks post op) before immersion in any pool or body of water. Definitely not worth any risk of infection!
 
Actually, I meant swimming or water aerobics, not kayaking in the pool. But have fun, whatever you decide.
 
During recovery, I got in my other car to fetch something; it is a very low to the ground sports car and was parked in the garage. I could not get out of the car, couldn't put weight on the leg to push and stand up and couldn't open the door enough to swing my leg out. :blush:

Fortunately I had the car keys and finally managed to back up the car, open the door wide and swing my leg out. Plus, I had my phone; I carried it everywhere and had my neighbors on speed dial as a safety line. :yes: But it was a very long 20 minutes getting out of the car.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Almost 10 days since my last post. I happy to report that exercising and stretching is working for me, I'm definitely getting better flexion (like a 10 degree improvement) and making great progress on the stationary bike. The bike is an Airdyne, so I can use my arms to power the pedals and let my legs just go thru the motions. 30 minutes gives me a nice workout, especially my core muscles (or so it feels) and doesn't stress out my legs too much.

I was able to walk further on the beach than last week, and without much fatigue or pain.

Still get stiff by the end of the day. No surprise there!

I'm now six week post op, so I feel fortunate to have made a pretty adequate recovery so far.

My PT fellow told me not to expect such rapid progress EVERY week...it slows down a lot. So I will stay diligent and patient. Not doing as much icing as before, but it just doesn't seem to be needed.

I also got a second lesson in the massage to do for scar mobilization. it actually feels kind of good.

I've even got a kayaking date set for 10 days from now. Gotta keep working on that flexion!!!
 
Dear RimRoc, if I read this all right you and I are just about identical in surgery dates and age, I will be hitting week 7 post op on Monday January 13. You did much more over the holidays than I did because I didn't have the energy to walk more than around my house and my pain was bearly under control, which left me a little depressed at times. I do have a little click in the new knee now which my PT says is normal, means things are loosening a little as my ROM has gotten better. Bonesmart folks have told me to rest, elevate, ice and take my meds. That is what I have done everyday. My flexion and ext. #'s are good, I am still fighting the pain thing though and still have swelling, do you? I know we aren't supposed to compare ourselves, but I would love to know when the pain starts to diminish so I can walk a few blocks and not pay for it. By the way PT should not hurt, mine has been very gentle and I progressed well. Good luck to you, hope we are in great form soon. SBee
 
@RimRoc have you thought about trying to get and out of a bathtub before tackling a kayak.
 
Back
Top Bottom