Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting better every day

Don't worry about cutting back your pain medications yet - you obviously still need them. It's much too early to just be taking Acetaminophen (Tylenol). If your surgeon wants to get you off the heavy-duty narcotics, perhaps he will be willing to prescribe Tramadol for you. It's a useful step-down drug that you can take with Tylenol.
My knee kills me after PT and I have a hard time sleeping every night with Ambien.
If your knee hurts after PT, you are doing too much. PT should never hurt, at the time, or afterwards. Remember, "If it hurts, don't do it." Doing PT to the extent that hurts doesn't help with ROM. It just upsets and inflames your wounded tissues, making them more stiff and swollen - and causing even more pain.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

I'm afraid that problems with sleeping are part and parcel of this recovery -
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
- but you can help yourself by keeping well medicated and not doing too much exercise.
 
I agree. PT should never hurt, not during or afterwards. Your tissues are inflamed from the surgery. Painful PT inflames them more, thus causing your knee to swell more limiting your ROM. You are much better off just doing your daily living activities. Walking is the best exercise for your knee.
 
I have not posted as much as most people on here, but this web site has kept me sane and hopeful. It's been almost three months now and I go back to work Monday.My knee has finally started to come around and I still have a hip to be replaced in the future. Therapy made the different for me and do as much as you can at your home. It is worth it even with bad insurance and large medical bills. I don't know where my future is going, but I am better prepared to face it. Thanks to everybody here and never give up. I also found that most people including my family does not want to here of my problems for more than three minutes. Just something to remember. Earl
 
earlgrey, congratulations on your recovery! And good luck at work tomorrow! I'm curious about what type of physical therapy did you have? Aggressive or nonaggressive?
 
Hi again, @earlgrey
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Therapy made the different for me and do as much as you can at your home. It is worth it even with bad insurance and large medical bills.
I'm glad that PT worked for you. It doesn't for everyone.

The important factor is to have a therapist who doesn't over-work your knee or do anything that causes it pain.
 
Good for you Earl. I'm post surgery 5 months and road my Bicycle yesterday with my son and it felt great. I haven't done any formal PT just have been staying active - walking, camping, gardening and now feel great.
Thanks again to Bonesmart for getting me through those few tough months.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom