Getting anxious

Status
Not open for further replies.

cripplenomore

I am so glad to have found this site! I have LTKR scheduled for June 22nd, less than 2 weeks from now. I have been in agonizing pain with my left knee for over a year now. My ortho surgeon told me I needed a TKR, but I've been putting it off. As of about 2 months ago, I had to give in, due to the horrible pain. Last July, 2008, I had the knee scoped. It did help somewhat since I had a bone spur that was really killing me, but other than that, the knee has gotten worse.
Anyway, as it gets closer to the surgery, I am getting more anxious. I work in the hospital where I am having my surgery, so I hear stories, but of course, the memorable ones are the worst ones! The OR staff and nurses don't remember the easy patients, so I am hearing the bad side. This is causing me a lot of worry, about the pain and other possible issues, like nausea. I almost had a panic attack over it yesterday just thinking about it.
I realize that if I don't do this, the pain will get worse and worse. I can barely walk anymore. I've been able to keep working (by the grace of God, and with the loan of a scooter), but when I get up from sitting, I can barely walk. I have to stand and hold myself up at my desk to get my strength to take a step. So I wonder, how much worse pain could the surgery cause? I also realize that no matter how bad the pain will be, it will get better each day, where as now, it's just getting worse.
I have a new granddaughter (3 months old), and I am really looking forward to being able to actually play with her and take her places as she gets older. Right now, I can't even go to the supermarket, let alone anything fun. So, this is my goal - to be a normal human who can walk without a cane or walker, and to not have to have everyone doing things for me all the time. I named myself "cripple", but I don't want to be a cripple anymore! I am only 54, but I feel like I'm 94.
I really need some encouragement. Thank you all for posting your stories. I've ready many of them already.
Paula

0oh Paula!!!, You MUST change your Bonesmart name! You WILL be able to lead a wonderful pain free life after your surgery! Just know, it HAS to get better! As one grandma to another......get the surgery over and start enjoying life again! Life is waaaaay too short for this kind of pain putting the damper on everything! Good luck and let us hear how you are doing!

Paula, welcome to BoneSmart. You have chosen a good place to come because both the mods (Jamie and I) have had knee replacements and so are in an excellent place to advise and reassure you. Along with all our other wonderful kneesie members as well, of course!

As you can see, I have spent my life in joint replacement surgery and I DO remember the good cases - hundreds and hundreds of them! Sure there were some that had problems as well, but with all of them, the problems were
pretty short-lived and the patients were discharged with good outcomes.

As for pre-op jitters, well, we all have those! Even me! Some people try to cope by focussing on other issues, preparation and planning for when we get home. Others let their imagination carry them away into a dark place of horrendous issues, uncontrolled pain and other things we can't even imagine! It's called fear of the unknown and is very, very common.

See, you're about to go into a totally strange environment (unless you happen to work in the OR!) and hand your life and well-being over to a bunch of strangers and trust that they will be on the ball and look after you properly! Well, let me tell you, this might be a once-in-a-lifetime event for you but to them it's just another day at work. They do this (as I did!) all day every day and there isn't one issue, problem or event they haven't considered, discussed and trained for. They're like the SAS; there's nothing that is going to take them by surprise or catch them on the hop.

As for afterwards, the wards staff are the same. They know about post-op pain and they have protocols for dealing with it. This means that the worst you should experience is some discomfort and soreness in hospital. You'll get up the next day (as we all did) and put your foot to the ground and your eyes will light up with a great big "WOW - no pain! I can put weight on my knee and there is NO PAIN!"

What you will have is soreness in the wound but that is tolerable and managable. Have no fear - that pain is a totally different thing to what you have now. The physio can be no picnic but if you're really lucky, like I was, it won't be that big a deal.

So stop getting yourself in a panic, focus on that wonderful pain free life you are going to have in 3 months time (give or take a few weeks). The op and the recovery will be over and done with in no time.

Welcome to the world of the kneesies!!!

Paula

I am with judles, change your name. You will feel sooo much better after the surgery.
You may not have much pain at all and your OS will give you something to take care of it if you do.

I only took regular pain meds for about two weeks and then as I needed them. (I know I know I know Jo.) Ok scratch what I just said. You should take your pain meds on a regular basis, ice and
elevate!

But my point is you may not have much pain and if you do, your doctor will take care of it. You will do better than you think,
and being a nana with 3 wonderful grandsons (dang no granddaughters, but there is hope) you are going to want to run around with them and have soooooo much fun. Then you can take
them back to their parents once you have spoiled them rotten for a day and their parents can deal with them. Pay back is so much fun,
so don't miss out on it.

Please don't worry most folks like to tell the horror stories, but just think of how many wonder stories they don't mention

Paula, I just realised that you posted in a part of the forum intended for techincal forum/computer questions. So I've moved it to the knee surgery discussion forum.

You will be thrilled when you are "on the other side". I had my first TKR last July and the second is scheduled for this July, and I am still nervous--even though I know better now.

Thank you all for your quick responses! I really needed to hear all you had to say. I will change my name, to maybe "cripple no more?" I am usually a pretty strong person, but this is the scariest thing I've had to do (other than giving birth a few times, which I did ace!) I will try very hard to concentrate on a positive outcome, and not the horror stories. Like I said, I'm already in so much pain (and not taking pain meds other than Naproxen). So at least I will be well medicated when dealing with the post surgical pain, right? Oy! Thank you all again. I will try to stay positive!
:thnk:

Just keep reminding yourself, as I did before my first surgery, that if you do nothing, the pain will only get worse. But if you have the TKR, the pain will get better and eventually subside.

Hi Paula!
I see you've found the kneesies side of the group! Way to go girl! We're all here for you and if you'd like, when you come back from surgery, we'll help you think of a name to better fit your new life! That's what you're going to have you know... a new life to play with that grandbaby! Time will fly by and as Jo says there are a couple of different ways to spend this time. DON'T listen to the horror stories you hear in the hospital. Most of them are blown way out of porportian anyway. It's always more fun to make the op's sound much worse than they were anyway. I worked there many MANY years.... and again, as Jo says... hundreds of knees and hips later.... the good far outweighs the bad. I'm tickled that you've decided to join us. We care Paula and we're hear for you.
Blessings to you!
Nancyo

it seems pretty daunting at the time. But now I ask myself, what was I doing six weeks before the TKR, and then compare that to what I am doing six weeks after. It's pretty amazing. I was six weeks yesterday, and I am boating, walking, going up stairs. Spent today up and down crawling under a Land Rover I am fixing, and walking up and down a very steep driveway. I mean, REAL steep. Rocks roll down it. I had to tack up it before, and crab down it. Not now. Straight up, straight down, and I have been taking big strides. With a grin on my face, too.

And instead of that naproxen that kinda works, you are gonna get the good stuff that really works.

Git it fixed. Its mo' better all around. really

Hey Paula,

Change that name to "FORMERcripple" because in a few months, that's what you will be. Keep reading all the old posts--you'll see that probably 90% of us are thrilled with the results--especially if you ask us 6 or 12 months later.

If you have not yet, please read my post about what a difference a year makes...I'm 58, could barely walk up a set of stairs a year ago, and last week I was climbing a pyramid in Egypt :)

There is absolutely nothing like getting your life back!

yep, easily 90% of the people here on this forum, and to put THAT in further perspective, if you haven't already seen Jo's thread on forum content, then you should definitely read it at https://www.bonesmart.org/public_forum/showthread.php?t=2730

That 90% happy customer list is even heavily weighted toward the more high risk situations, that tend to keep people on here posting a greater average of complications than is actually representative of TKR recipients in general.

I had my TKR three weeks ago this past Monday. I was pretty anxious myself. I had been doing pre-op exercises for about two months, including 80-100 leg lifts a day. I felt I was as prepared physically and mentally as I could be, but all I heard was one horror story after another. Like you I wanted to hear one good story. So far I am one of those really good stories. I was walking without a brace the second day after surgery, went home on the 4th day, have had little pain or swelling, and have made great progress. My PT and doctor both released me last week and I went back to work this week walking with a cane. Last week my ROM was -5 to 120 thanks to the dreaded CPM machine.

For the first time in a long time I am looking at the possibilities in my future - adventures and experiences that won't be hampered or affected by a bad knee.

Bluegrassanne,
So nice to met you. It sounds like you have had a great recovery so far. That is wonderful. What was your surgery like? MIS??? It does sound like you had a great OS.
I do believe that the surgery itself has a lot to do with ones recovery. Less cutting seems to be better.
I bet you are enjoying every minute of your new life.

Well, I wonder about that. I think I had a relative large amount of cutting, two ligaments gone, a lot of bone ruined....and I think I am doing okay. Six weeks and two days, and I am doing stuff I havent done in 20 years with this knee. Like, walking normally. Up and down ramps and inclines. Up and down stairs. I am having a hard time overcoming the automatic mental thing that I deveoped over the years living without an ACL and with no meniscus or cartilage. I just automatically planted each step so that the knee would stay in place. It is SO strange not to have to do that any more.

Paula--
Welcome to BoneSmart and all the wonderful people here! You've already heard all the great advise--it's really true. The pain after surgery is so much easier than what you have now and with that precious grandbaby to keep you focused, you will do great!
I'm 3 weeks out from BTKR and can walk easily with a cane around the house and on the driveway outside. I have little pain--mostly soft tissue discomfort from swelling--always my weak spot. Every day gets better.
As for being a grandmother: it is the VERY BEST club to belong to--each and every grandchild is more of a blessing than you can even imagine. You are getting ready to enjoy all the wonderful moments ahead.
Blessings,
Irene

My surgery was MIS. However my surgeon says I get the credit. That he wouldn't take the blame if I was doing poorly so he doesn't think he should take the credit since I am doing well. However he is an excellent surgeon.

That's nice! And an unusual take on the doctor/patient relationship!

Very unusual! Welcome Bluegrass! And every day will get better and better!

Thank you all for your encouragement. I am feeling better about this already! By the way, my OS has come up with this pre-op med regimen. By mouth, you take 2 Tylenol Extra Strength, 1 Celebrex 400mg, 1 Prilosec 40mg, and 1 Oxycontin 10mg. Anyone heard of this before? I have an appt just to talk to him next week. I don't like the idea of all that stuff in my stomach right before surgery! My stomach is pretty touchy after 20 years of Naproxen (long story on that). ALso, I've never taken Oxycontin, so I don't know how I'll tolerate it. I want to opt out of that totally. Thanks, Paula

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022