General Anaestetic vs. Epidural Block - experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an epidural with the so-called "happy juice." I was a little worried about the epidural....just the thought of it scared me. Wasn't bad at all and woke up with no nausea at all. I'd do it again that way!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I had my second TKR on Saturday, and my second spinal. I didn't hear a thing this time, just woke up fully aware and conscious and able to eat straight away.the painkiller effect apparently lasts for up to 18hours, so the pain of the TKR doesn't hit for a while, and by then I had a good meds programme in place. Definitely the best thing for me.
 
but I find myself afraid of waking up during the surgery if I have an epidural. The doctor said she could keep me asleep, but I really don't want to wake up and hear or feel anything. Can anybody share their experiences with epidural blocks and general anesthesia?
Believe the doctor. She knows her business and will keep you asleep if that's what you want.Actually, in all teh years I've worked in theatre and scrubbed for these cases, most of the patients had spinals/epidurals and nobody woke up in the middle of the op. NObody! I had a spinal and a femoral block and waking up in recovery was bliss because I was pain free! Actually, the anaesthetist teased me before the op by asking if I had any 'last requests' to which I replied that I wanted to know NOTHING from when the spinal went in to waking up in recovery and he was as good as his word. For me it wasn't because I was scared of waking up during the surgery or anything. I just didn't want to see any member of staff do anything I didn't approve of and have nightmares about it ever after! That's what you get for being a theatre nurse for 50+ years! OCD!
I had a spinal and made drowsy.
I can promise you it wasn't the spinal that made you drowsy, it was the sedative you were given along with it. Spinals or epidurals don't make the patient drowsy.
 
I totally agree with you Josephine....spinal will numb you waist down so you feel nothing and a sedative such as propophol (milk of amnesia ) keeps you out until you are heading to recovery ...the combination of spinal and sedative has shown a quicker recovery with less blood loss and stomach related issues than a general with the tube down the throat....with a little local anesthetic the spinal is virtually painless. You will NOT wake up until recovery........and you probably want a spinal rather than an epidural....
 
[QUOTE

I can promise you it wasn't the spinal that made you drowsy, it was the sedative you were given along with it. Spinals or epidurals don't make the patient drowsy.[/QUOTE]


That's what I meant!
 
Yes, you were "made drowsy." For me, I don't even remember the spinal. The sedative put me out and I remember waking up in the recovery area, like I'd had a nice deep nap. :)
 
Hi

I had the spinal because of my respiratory problems @PeterinMontreal, last January, when I had my TKR. I had the spinal again when I had the revision done in September. Both times I declined the sedative. I was fine except the first time around it sounded like I was in the middle of a construction site. I was awake through the whole procedure both times and felt nothing. Absolutely nothing whatsoever. I could have had the sedative but thought there was no point the second time either because I kind of knew what to expect x

I may well end up having my other knee done in the New year. If that's the case I would not hesitate to have a spinal. I might accept the happy juice, to avoid the noise but it's ok if I don't.

Nana moon 27 x
 
With my right knee I did NOT have a spinal (I think due to the arthritis in my L5 region) but just IV sedatives and a femoral block. The block did wonders for the knee itself but little to nothing for the muscular pain in the quad, hamstring and calf. With the left knee I did not have a femoral block but the anesthetist was able to inject me with a spinal in the L3/4 area and that along with the sedatives kept me pretty much pain free when I woke up in recovery.
 
I've had generals before and I always wake up in excruciating pain (especially last time when I had spinal surgery) so having seen my husband with a spinal and sedation for his THR, I was thinking it looked like a pretty good idea. Unfortunately I was so scared and psychologically scarred from the pain of the spinal and the failed epidurals before, I worked myself up into a near melt-down coming in to surgery. It really was the only thing I was afraid of. I was going to ask the anesthetist to give me a sedative before he even began the spinal, I had the speech in my head practiced perfect so I could tell him whilst I was lying on the gurney outside the theatre. I was ready for push-back and I wasn't going to take no for an answer.

He walked in with my chart in hand and announced that since I'd had previous spinal surgery he wouldn't do a spinal for this, I would be having a general. Let the wind out of my sails. Hadn't foreseen that possibility.

As usual, woke up after surgery in horrible pain. After the fact I'm braver - I should have asked if there was any way he'd consider a spinal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom