Guest viewing is limited

Future problem for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any infection anywhere in the body can lead to an infection in the knee replacement at any time. My dentist told me of a man that that had happened to.
All the evidence is that this is apocryphal as recently announced by various esteemed organisations - Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures. Your dentists' story was also anecdotal as he had no proof that the two incidents were connected and all evidence is become clear that they were coincidental. However, it is certainly very prudent of your surgeon to postpone surgery until this dental problem is resolved but this would also be the case for any other type of surgery.

I state this for the benefit of other readers and visitors to this forum and not to dispute with you @flash85
I really don't envy your situation and do hope you find solutions soon.
 
As my surgeon's instructions for pre-medicating were somewhat ambiguous, I re-checked with the PA last week about taking antibiotics before a tooth extraction next week. He asked the surgeon on duty and he said most definitely I should take 4 pills between 1 - 2 hours before procedure. The oral surgeon completely agreed and both said that there is not enough definitive proof one way or the other about pre-medicating; and they agreed that infection in the implant would be catastrophic and considered a failure and it is better to be overly cautious than risk such an infection. I guess we each have to make our own carefully considered decisions based on how we react to antibiotics. I am convinced that for me it would be wise to avoid any possibility of infection and so will be doing the pre-medicating for at least this first year.
 
I am convinced that for me it would be wise to avoid any possibility of infection and so will be doing the pre-medicating for at least this first year.

@caridgway I have to take antibiotics before dental and other procedures for a different reason but I feel the same as you do. With no definitive proof, if it doesn't kill you, why not take the antibiotics and be safe.
 
@flash85 -It sounds as if you have made up your mind to not risk a TKR. Your situation is unique at best and you will probably be hard pressed to find many with your same situation even here on Bonesmart. If you have more reasons why you won't risk a TKR then reasons to do the procedure then I would say you have your answer. We all have limits and draw certain lines in the sand when it comes to our health. If this is something you are not willing to compromise-the risk of infection via dental issues-then by all means do not do the surgery. God forbid if you followed through with the surgery and then developed an issue with your teeth or knee you would forever be wondering if the two were linked and could you have prevented it. Sometimes the stress of worrying about all the what ifs is not worth it. A knee replacement is still considered an elective surgery even though many of us feel like it is far from an elective procedure so perhaps putting it on hold is in your best interest. Take some time to figure out what is going on with your teeth. If that part of your health levels out or changes then come back and assess your knee situation. I wish you the best of luck in trying to figure all of this out.
 
No, flash85, I don't think anyone on this site will think any less of you for your decision. TKR is a huge surgery with a long and grueling recovery (for most patients). I believe that you have to trust your own instinct based on your personal health challenges. As you say, things may change in the future that will allow you to take another look at TKR.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom