Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR From hip to knee and back again

So I had my 4 month check up last week. It was a little late because my OS changed practices. I wasn’t having any major issues and he did call to check on me during his transition so it was all good. So the bad news is I still have pain. It’s not worse but it’s still there, always. I don’t like taking pain meds so normally I don’t. But every now and then I need some. The good news is on the new x-ray my bone is starting to fill in where the hardware wires were. It also looks like there might be some bone starting to fill in where the greater trochanter break is. So that’s exciting. My knee is also still hurting. He believes it is patella tendinitis. He also says my patella is short so when my knee bends it’s hitting the replacement parts. It really is only a problem going up and down stairs. So unless something changes he wants to see me in 6 months! That’s a long break. I think that means I’m making progress.
 
Last edited:
Hi, Liz and thanks for the update. I'm glad everything seems to be moving in the right direction. I’m with you, if the doc doesn’t need to see you for a few months, must be good news. This is especially true considering how attentive he’s been even in his transition. I think only time will tell about the ongoing pain. You’ve been through a lot and it may come and go and change intensity for a while. Do what seems to help: ice or heat etc. and we’ll put some positive vibes out there for continued improvement.
@gavinmac
 
So my next follow up was to be 6 months from December. But I’ve noticed an increase in pain on the outer part of my leg with walking. Also when trying to do side lying leg lifts I’m getting weaker not stronger. So another set of X-rays. Per my OS the joint implant looks good but the broken part (greater trochanter) ‘shifted to the front which moves the location of the hip abductor muscles to a less than ideal location for mechanical strength.’ My poor hip. Less than ideal. I try to laugh so I don’t cry. He still doesn’t want to do surgery. He does not think at this point it would make a significant improvement. But it seems I’m not out of the woods. If it stays where it is I think I can just deal. I just don’t want to get weaker or have a fall. However, I also really don’t want a 6th surgery. When people say they need a hip replacement and what do I think or how did I do I usually say I’m that 1% (or whatever) and not to use me as an example.
 
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Please keeps posted and know that we're here for you. :console2:
@gavinmac
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom