THR France is Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm also new to the forum....it has been a great source of information and reassurance reading some of the threads. I also had LTHP in France, December 10th. I think the type of anaesthetic used here depends on the surgeon and the anaesthetist, as I had a general anaesthetic whereas a friend in the same hospital at the same time for the same operation but with a different surgeon had the 'stay awake and listen to the sawing and hammering' variety. My operation was on a Thursday and I would have been assisted out of bed and on crutches on the Friday if the physiotherapist had been on duty, but on the Saturday he came in and saw me walk with the crutches, then I was allowed to have a shower which was a delight. Sunday all my drips were removed and I could march up and down the corridor, and Monday morning I was discharged after 5 nights in hospital.
Unlike many members of this forum who have had courses of physiotherapy, this was not prescribed and I was told the best way to recovery was 'walking, walking, walking' which of course I've been doing. The first week out of hospital, just before Christmas, I was in a bit of a state of euphoria with myself, so happy to be home, and even walked about with no crutches over Christmas, but obviously Iwas kidding myself and overdid it and I'm back with one crutch now 4 weeks after the op. Had post-op visit to the surgeon last week, he doesn't need to see me again till April. I've had nurses here every evening to give me the anticoagulant injections, their last visit was 2 days ago. And I've given those ****ing surgical stockings a ritual burning!
All the best for your recovery.
 
Hi @petitpois - welcome to this side of the fence!

I did like you, was using no crutches at home over Christmas but found it very uncomfortable. I also tried to reduce painkillers but my body shouted NO. So I am pacing myself. Now on one crutch and more and more I can manage without for short distances when I have taken my meds. Went to a yoga class today. Did no external rotations with my operated leg but otherwise it was very pleasant to stretch again.

I was operated in Brussels and the surgeon also said no physio needed, only walking. However I am living in Jakarta and pleasant walking opportunities are quite limited. I have a German GP here & I asked him about it and he said very definitely a "yes" for physio - at least to make sure I am walking correctly. So I will have to sort that out next week.

Good luck & keep taking it easy!
 
@Rusty67 it is interesting to see in France that they would do the second replacement 3 weeks later. Both my surgeries were anterior on Hana table . The OS recommended that I wait at least two and a half months before the second surgery. I wanted to do my second one 6 weeks but they recommended against it. I went back to work I own the business. Our work is terribly seasonable so it didn't pan out for me to have it done at 2.5 to 3 months when I wanted the two surgeries were were actually four months apart. I wish I could have had both mine done at the same time or very close to each other that is why your 3 week statement intrigue me. I cannot complain both of my surgeries and recoveries went pretty well. Good luck with your recovery and good luck with your second surgery ..
 
@Rusty67 good luck with your recovery. Do you have your own thread here? I couldn't find anything?


Siobhan
RTHR 25 November 2015
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Rusty67 - In the US we're also told no internal rotation ( I don't remember the specific length of time -- without going to read discharge papers-- but probably at least 6 weeks.) The OS really emphasized don't cross the legs, don't pass the center line, no crossing knees, ankles, when you sit, put the operated leg forward (straight leg style) before sitting down to avoid flexing beyond 90º , etc etc. 10 days out, I'm still on a cane, as I can feel tightness in the hip area -- and while walking, feel as if I should have pain as before (tonight I found myself trying to limp - putting my right foot down gingerly, expecting pain, and limping off quickly, before realizing there was no pain. I'm thinking I have a habit that will need breaking.
 
@petitpois I had surgery Dec.1 So I was just a bit a head of you . Nice to hear your recovery is going well at 4 weeks .
 
Hi @Rusty67 ,
How are you getting on with your recovery. Have you had your second hip done in the meantime. I'm always interested in reading about the different methods in different countries, and as far as I can see, I'm still the only German who posts here. I had left hip replacement on 20 April 2015 at a very competent hospital in Wiesbaden (around 40 km from Frankfurt). I can see similarities between Germany and France. To begin with - the terminology: the term for osteoarthrits of the hip is similar in German: Coxarthrose. A word like "cox arthritis" does not seem to be understood in the English-speaking world.

Besides, bed rest is usually prescribed in Germany for 48 hours (minimum 24) after the operation. We are also able to sleep on our side with a pillow between the legs. And they don't use highly potent narcotic painkillers. I had diclofenac twice a day which I was able to phase out in week 3 and did not use any painkillers after 4 weeks. For the anaesthesia, I had spinal with sedation. Standard hospital stay in Germany is 7 days, usually followed by a stay in a rehab centre for the 3 weeks after that.

Wishing you a successful recovery for both hips -
Constanze
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom