19-month post-op update
Here I am at last with the long-overdue update! For readers who’ve jumped straight into my thread at this point, please don’t let my hip story alarm you, it’s an exceedingly rare occurrence.
@Mojo333 has named this hip “bad luck lefty”! Part of the reason I’ve not posted much is because I don’t want to put anyone off having a THR, but I hope that documenting my recovery will be helpful for anyone who comes searching in the future. For anyone who needs a THR, please, please, please get it done. Despite all that I’ve been through I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.
A quick recap because this story does get confusing …
Bad luck 1
2007, LTHR: To put it mildly, it was not well done. Bad alignment caused a lot of lateral thigh pain, then the subluxations started (partial dislocations which popped back in) and took years to diagnose.
Bad luck 2
2014,1st revision of left hip: Revision surgeon hoped to just reposition the cup, but it was so badly aligned he had to remove the stem as well. He had to resort to an osteotomy, the bone (greater trochanter) failed to heal, that resulted in a poorly functioning hip with poor gait and a multitude of aches and pains. I was unable to walk outdoors without a walking aid.
Bad luck 3
2019: The top of the stem reached the stage where it had insufficient support from the surrounding bone (non-union of the greater trochanter and progressive loosening) and the stem fractured from metal fatigue. Yet another revision.
And now, some good news

! A few weeks ago, for the first time since 2013, I walked outdoors without any walking aid. I took my walking stick with me and I started to use it after about 10 minutes, I didn’t want to join the ODIC! On my return home I cried, I was overwhelmed. I’d never imagined that I’d walk unaided again.
There have been, and still are, some problems along this journey.
After a month in bed, then 3 months of absolute minimal activity, I was plagued with bouts of plantar fasciitis in my left foot. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise in that it stopped me from doing too much too soon! Just the occasional niggle now thank goodness.
Following surgery, I was having 6-weekly follow-up checks. My last routine consultation was in February 2020, but the next one was cancelled because of covid restrictions. I'm hoping routine appointments will start up again soon. In October 2020, I had a bout of dreadful thigh pain and couldn’t weight-bear for a few days. My amazing surgeon saw me as an emergency, and x-rays showed the surgical fractures have healed beautifully. That was such a relief to hear. He put the episode down to soft tissue pain. When it happened again a few weeks later, my GP insisted I was seen face-to-face by a physio (only emergencies seen because of covid restrictions). Opinion is that one of the cerclage cables around my femur is irritating the muscle and sending it into spasm. So now I am one of the few (covid restrictions again) who can be treated by a massage therapist. Regular deep massage seems to have kept any recurrence at bay. She also helps with all the aches and pains that I attribute to my relative inactivity over this long recovery. The other silver lining is that I get follow up telephone consultations with a great physio.
The right groin pain, which my surgeon didn’t get to re-assess before covid restrictions, continues. It’s been getting me down because it's stopped me from progressing as fast as I would like. It’s now become more of a priority than my recovering left hip and leg. I’ve been holding on to the fact that my surgeon didn’t think it was my hip. I certainly did lots of sitting and resting in those early months (I wasn’t allowed to do anything else!), and I know that this can lead to tight hip flexors. That side has been overworked too. So, with input from my physio and massage therapist, I’ve added exercises for my psoas/hip flexors to my already long exercise routine. Mojo - I’m doing your exercise too, the one where the leg hangs off the side of the bed, and I promise I’m being extra careful not to fall off! It's still early days, but I’ve had a few days pain-free, not good today though

. I’ve worked with @Schargii

(how we both hate exercises!) to split my exercise routine into manageable chunks that are actually compatible with daily living!
I’ll stop for now, but wanted anyone who reads this to know that there is light at the end of this long tunnel. Thank you all for being here for advice and support when needed.
