Revision THR Fractured femoral prosthesis

@helenium, having 'met you' on my hand thread I have just read here about your hip problems and can understand that your crutches will hurt your thumb. After my hip op I only had canes because the physio thought my fused wrist would struggle with crutches.

You have gone through such a lot of joint surgery and this latest experience sounds horrendous, especially the wait for an experienced surgeon. I hope your hospital check-up gives you positive news.
 
I actually surprised myself, I didn't mind the wait, I think it gave me time to get my head around what had happened. I thought I'd be nervous in the days leading up to surgery but I was really calm, I was just a little anxious for a few minutes when I was in the anesthetic room. A bit late then, and escape was impossible anyway! The eventual surgery went so well it was well worth the wait.

Hi @helenium - I'm so sorry that you have been through so much, but your story helps me to put mine in perspective. People don't "get" that living alone and taking care of oneself is difficult emotionally and physically as well.

I just wanted you to know that "sharing your story" really helps. Hoping you heal completely and quickly...:puppysmooze:
 
Hi @EmEm, welcome to my hip thread :flwrysmile:. I tend to use a walking frame when downstairs and that spares the pressure on my left thumb. I use crutches upstairs, but that's usually just to get from stairlift to bed, bed to bathroom etc. And as I can't go out anyway, my use of crutches is fairly minimal - but enough to hurt the thumb. I do have some gutter crutches which may be better when I'm allowed to walk more. Once I'm allowed to progress to one crutch (or cane) that will be much better because it will be in my right hand.

Awww, thanks for your kind words @DesertDiva. I admit I hesitated to start this thread for fear of scaring people!

I went for my post-op check on Monday. Had x-rays, saw them and was horrified! But apparently all is still looking ok. The big screw which is securing my greater trochanter looked like a big button to me! My 18 inch scar is looking good. Still a lot of swelling, explains why my stretchy 'big' trousers are so tight (I hope). It couldn't be a month of eating hospital puddings, could it?!! Next appointment is in 6 weeks time. Until then I'm to do the absolute bare minimum, no excessive walking, no active abduction, observe hip precautions, continue to lie on my back in bed :sigh:. So, continue to rest while the bones heal, just seems so lazy!

Happy healing everyone.
 
So, continue to rest while the bones heal, just seems so lazy!
Not lazy at all. You are in healing mode and all your energy is going to mending. Plenty of time for activity when you have recovered from all the trauma.
 
I hope the follow-up appointment goes well for you, @helenium. You've definitely been through a lot and are absolutely due--head of the line for you, girl--for some good and reassuring news! I hope you have a good weekend. Keep sitting by a window, elevated and icing, and enjoy the view outside. Cheers!
 
:hi: @helenium
Just wondering how things were coming along and if you were hanging in there?
Hope this finds you getting better and maybe you will check in and give us an update.
Have a great week.
 
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: @helenium
Hope at over 2 months out, things are getting easier and you are feeling well.

Wanted to offer some Christmas cheer to you on your thread.:christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Fractured femoral prosthesis Helenium, I haven't seen you lately and hope you are doing well. You should be coming up to your next appointment and trust all will be favourable.

In the meantime I would like to wish you and you family a peaceful Holiday Season.

[Bonesmart.org] Fractured femoral prosthesis Izzy xx
 
Hi @Mojo333, @Izabel :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:,

Thanks for your posts. Sorry I’ve not posted for a while; I’ve been lurking though! To be honest, I’ve been really fed up. Its about 4 months now since I “snapped”, and I’ll be 14 weeks post op tomorrow. Doesn’t sound all that long, but it’s seemed endless to me. My other hip has been very painful too (inner groin), and that has got me really worried. Common sense tells me that something's just complaining at doing most of the work (or doing too little) following the best part of a month lying on my back ...

Enough of the moans. I know I should be feeling grateful that my surgery was so successful, and I am. That awful post op fatigue has gone and I’m feeling much better. I saw my surgeon yesterday and things are looking good. Latest x-rays show that the bone is healing, and he was pleased. I can start to walk more than the absolute minimum, as pain allows (on 2 crutches). It will be so good to get out of the house other than for hospital appointments. More good news, I can start to drive! He checked my most recent x-rays of my other hip (taken 6 weeks ago) and thought it looked just fine. His thoughts too are that something is complaining because it’s been managing on its own for so long. That’s what I’d hoped, but I’ve had a lot of time on my hands to think the worst. He’ll check more thoroughly at my next appointment (in 6 weeks).

One of my daughters took me to my appointment and we stopped off for coffee (and cake, of course) on the way home. :wow: - there is a forgotten world out there - but summer has gone, and it really is Christmas! It was so good to experience some normality. However, it all came at a cost. Daughter has a 4x4, and getting in without breaking restrictions was a challenge. I found that I could stand sideways just perched on the edge of the passenger seat. Then, foot of the “good” leg on the step, hands on the seat, and up I went. Then easy swivel on the leather seat, and done! Same again after appointment, and again after our treat. And now I don’t have a good leg to stand on. My op leg is unusually painful from the assorted, painful positions on the x-ray table. My good thigh is very painful from that getting in the car manoeuvre. Neither want to help me get up from sitting, nor will either help me sit from standing. The ice packs are working overtime. I hope I’m recovered enough for tomorrow!

Best wishes to all!
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
I am glad to read you got out in the world with your daughter. @helenium

Cars sure are a challenge. Hope your pain goes as quickly as it came. I really hope 2020 is your year. I am sure you are fed up. The isolation is the worst part. Glad you have been given the freedom to drive. Sending healing wishes.

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Sorry about the pain from the car, hopefully you're feeling better today. Sounded like a good report so that's something to be thankful for. Wishing you a peaceful day.
:wreath::snow:
 
Thank you @Elf1. 36 hours of rest, ice packs and pills worked a treat, so Christmas Day went ahead as planned. I used a step to get into that car today! It's midnight here in the UK, time for bed. Hope you've had a good day too.
 
:wave: dear @helenium
Sure hope things are steadily improving this year for "bad luck lefty"
Not sure what state Wales is in with this cursed virus...our country is still trying to work out what is the new normal due to such large area and can vary from state to state.
Hope you are well and weather is fair.
Hugsxxx :roseshwr:
 
Hi there @Mojo333 :wave:
So lovely to see you pop up on my thread, you've made my day! We're still in lockdown here in Wales, with more restrictions than in England. I live alone and it's hard not seeing family and friends, but "bad luck lefty" has got me used to staying at home! I started driving again in February and just started getting out a bit more when lockdown struck, but at least I'd managed to get a much needed haircut! I was going to post an update at my 6-month hip-versary (18 March), but the cursed virus stole the limelight.

"Bad luck lefty" (love its new name, thank you!) is doing really well thanks. I'd been having 6-weekly checks and x-rays. All was coming along very well at my last appointment in February, I was told to wean on to one crutch indoors, but our routine health appointments are now on hold. I had just one PT appointment before everything came to a standstill - the physio looked at my x-rays in disbelief, watched me walking with one crutch, and was full of admiration. He said that my gait was perfect and to just carry on doing what I'm doing!

Unfortunately, there are days when I try to do far too much. I forget to use my one crutch (or think that I'll get away with it), both legs get tired and sore, and your wiggly recovery diagram comes to mind! But I consider myself so fortunate to be this far along in my recovery and that I can manage on my own.

Must just say that I'm so full of admiration for all the work that you do at the foodbank, yet still find time to be so supportive here on the forum. And you always know just the right thing to say. :loveshwr:

Stay safe and well all.
 
:hi: Happy Friday @helenium
Nice update! It’s good to hear from you. Wish you would have updated in March, it would have been a pleasant distraction from 24/7 COVID news. We’d love to hear from you whenever you have the time to stop by.

Hopefully restrictions ease in your area soon so you can get back out driving and visiting family and friends. They’re beginning to loosen things in my area. While it’s a welcome change, it can be scary for some also to begin venturing out again.

Hoping your weekend is all you want it to be! :)
 
You make me smile :) :-) (:...lady with the terribly long surgery signature.:wink:

I am so impressed that your PT is so impressed..but we could have confirmed that you are one who defies expectations, and your lovely spirit and persistance makes you a shining example of how attitude can affect our recoveries.
Huge hugs and healing mojo coming at you!:friends:
 
Hi @helenium :) :-) (:
Hoping this post finds you well...I see that you are still working on getting your hip in shape and didn't know what progress had been made regarding your knee issue...
I always smile when I see you on board checking on other Bonesmarties while I'm having my first cup in the morning :mcoffee:
Hope spring is springing where you are.
I love my little humble older street where I live this time of year... azaleas blooming everywhere, wisteria hanging down like grapes from the tall pines, and the dogwoods readying for Easter blooms.

Hope today is a good day for you
 
I always smile when I see you on board checking on other Bonesmarties while I'm having my first cup in the morning

Yes! Thanks for your continued sweet support here @helenium
You quietly and gracefully slip in and out leaving little messages of kindness and encouragement that I’m sure are appreciated by many.
Wishing you a lovely Spring across the pond. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Mojo333 :) :-) (:, and hi @Layla :flwrysmile: - you posted as I was replying!

Thanks for stopping by! Yes, still working on getting my hips back in shape, it's a long recovery for poor bad luck lefty! Nothing much happening here regarding routine hospital stuff, although some urgent electives are starting up again. So no news on the knee yet.

I promise I'm working on providing a long overdue update on this hip of mine, encouraged by @Schaargi - we've exchanged a few PMs. When it comes to boring, time-consuming exercises she's such a shining example!

Yes, spring is springing here too thank goodness, it's been such a long, wet, locked-down winter. Nowhere near as advanced as your spring though, my wisteria looks like dead wood, although close examination shows small buds getting ready for much better things to come. Some spring flowers are emerging in the muddy woodland parts of my garden. I nipped (haha) out there especially to take a photo for you.

[Bonesmart.org] Fractured femoral prosthesis


Wishing you both a lovely Spring across the pond, and all other BoneSmarties too.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom