TKR Four weeks today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been using the frozen water bottles for a few weeks now, and they do last longer. I have used a tea towel or pillowcase between my knee and the polar cube wrap, but it still makes me freeze all over! I guess I am just sensitive to it. On a positive note, while at the beach, it was great to have it one while sitting on the hot deck! I alternate between the polar cube and gel packs, so it is better....I am no longer wrapped in a wool blanket!!
 
Snooz, congratulations on your recovery. Like you, I cut way back on the Norco etc very early on. I just wasn't in that much pain, and there's no sense taking more of that stuff than you need, for longer than you need. It makes you stupid and frankly, I think slows recovery. You're in charge.
 
My feeling exactly pdx. Some people here seem to get quite energized about this topic.

Pain is such an individual thing, and often a mystery. There are so many instances where a person is obviously in pain, but no cause can be found. It's reasonable to think that the opposite is also true - a circumstance should cause pain, but the pain is either manageable or is simply not there.

In my case, my knee joint has produced very little pain after my tkr. It's been 5 weeks, and I have no pain. After PT, a long walk, or a couple of hours working, the knee swells a little and feels tired. Aggressive PT or exercise causes pain in my quadriceps, but not in the joint.
 
Aggressive PT or exercise causes pain in my quadriceps, but not in the joint.
I think you're missing the point here. When I talk of pain, I am NOT talking about pain in the joint! That's gone, completely. I am talking about pain elsewhere around the joint as that's where the surgery went through the tissues and has caused the entire post-op pain issue.
Pain is ...... often a mystery.
In this situation, pain is no mystery.
 
Not sure this has anything to do with health systems and who pays for what. England has a fine health system by many quality measures.
I do believe that people don't realize how easy it is to take too much of a good thing -- and too many doctors over-prescribe. The older you are, the more important it is to take a "less is more" approach to pain-killers, too. And it's more than possible to get dependent on pain-killers first prescribed legitimately. They can and do interfere with sleep.
One size doesn't fit all. One to two Norco every four to six hours would have made me an utter zombie, yet that's what I was prescribed. After the first couple of days, I usually took ยฝ (or 2.5 mg) every 4 hours, and one before bed, plus aspirin for clot prevention.
Narcotics do nothing for nerve pain or for muscle spasms. They don't reduce swelling.
I will say that in the States the trend is for shorter and shorter hospital stays -- three nights maximum around here, most people out after two. Pain control's gotten better with the use of regional, rather than general, anesthesia, and it's easier to get up & about if you've avoided general anesthesia, too.
I'm grateful for Josephine's time, energy and knowledge. I also know that not everyone experiences pain the same way and that it's best that we support each other's choices (safe ones!) not knock each other down.
 
I'm glad you are having little pain. Many people who say this actually have burning, stiffness etc. which is actually treatable. Josephine is actually very protective of Bonesmarties if a little gruff at times and while i can't speak for her, I think she wants to make sure people aren't suffering needlessly.

The NHS and politics have nothing to do with this.
 
Note to the moderators: I apologize for starting another thread, but for some reason I wasn't allowed to post to the old thread. It has been quite awhile.

Last week marked my 10 and 20 week anniversaries for my tkr's, and my final visit to the surgeon. He said that there was really no reason to schedule another visit, and that I should always call if I experience anything that concerns me. So I shook his hand and said "Thanks and Sayonara!"

Everything is not yet quite 'normal'. My left 10-week-knee still gets a little tight every few days or so. However I can ice & elevate it and rest for a few hours and it is good to go. I can kneel carefully on both knees which is important, because I am getting back to my yoga stretches. I'm walking totally without a limp. The doc said I could start hitting golf balls on the range if I go easy. So I did and it really wasn't bad. A little swelling afterwards, though. Ice and elevation and rest took care of it. I probably won't get out on the course until the new year. I am off painkillers and sleeping much better.

For me, the sleep disruption from urination and nighttime medicating was the worst part of the whole experience.

Here's the important thing: The progress of both knees were almost identically similar. The benchmarks for me were when I was able to 1) get rid of the toilet riser and the shower chair, 2)
when I was finally able to lift my foot high enough to effectively wash the bottom of my foot in the shower, 3) when I was able to bend my leg enough to effortlessly get into the car, etc. Also measuring the flexion and extension - the recovery was much the same for each leg. But here's the difference: July 2nd was the date for my right knee surgery, and I swear to God - I had almost no pain, ever. I stayed ahead of it with the medication the first few weeks of course, but the only time I would feel pain was at night while trying to sleep. Even that was gone after 7 weeks, and I was totally off the meds by week 8.

So, I went in for the left tkr 10 weeks later, totally fearless. Gosh, was I surprised. The left knee hurt when I woke up in recovery, and I still have discomfort at night now!!! Like I said, the metrics of recovery were comparable to the right knee experience, but pain-wise, the two knees were night and day. So I've been on both sides of the pain issue. I liked the easy side better.

Bottom line: I'm so glad I did it. My advice is to learn as much as you can, read everything you can find here at Bonesmart, do your exercises, and take responsibility to listen to and work with your Physical Therapist. And be positive - Attitude means everything. Good luck to all of you.
 
Wow, congratulations on your surgeries, excellent outcome, and ongoing recovery! So- same surgeon, implant, everything?? As someone fairly new to knee replacement, I wonder about the variables that would result in more pain, stiffness, etc. in one knee vs. the other if everything else is about the same. Mostly I hope that my right knee, when I get around to replacing it, will be as easy as yours. :)

Also, "Hi" we're practically neighbors! I'm in Simi. Isn't this a lovely day?
 
Fabulous update - gives me hope that I can have a textbook recovery, too! :yahoo:
 
Hi Clipless, I love Simi. And it is a gorgeous day in Ventura County - wind is supposed to subside and we're going to get close to 90ยบ on Thanksgiving. Then I hope we get some rain. Lake Casitas is a mudhole!

So yes, the same surgeon, Dr. Tom Golden, CMH in Ventura. I must have talked to 20 people before I booked him, he's a local superstar. Nice guy, low key, humble and positive. He said that if he ever saw worse arthritic knees, he can't remember when. And he's never seen as many bone spurs in two knees. And I'm bragging about this ???

He uses Zimmer equipment. The OR has a huge wall full of parts, tools, jigs and guides. And I've never seen so many people in Haz-Mat suits. You would think I had Ebola.

As I said, I was surprised at the difference in the pain level with the second knee. Had I done the left knee first though and had the same amount a pain, I still would have proceeded with the right one, no question. And again, it was a difference in pain, not stiffness.

I am still working, I'm active, and this five months of down time are nothing compared to the next 20 years of work, play, and grandkids. Thank God, and Dr. Golden.
 
Fabulous update - gives me hope that I can have a textbook recovery, too! :yahoo:
Iunula, take charge of your recovery and you will succeed. Learn as much as you can so you have an idea when your recovery seems to stall. These hiccups happen to everyone. Trust your doctor and physical therapist. Ask their advice and do the exercises. You're very young - you should do better than me! Good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom