Lounge Doctor

TKR Four Months Post TKR

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
The average recovery takes 52 weeks, so you’re not quite halfway through, so your knee is bound to let you know when you’ve done more than it likes.

On the bright side, you’re almost halfway through recovery! Things will get better!

Seatides

Country
Hi @Roux!

Then I start worrying about what other people may think (which is stupid, I know!): it's been 2-plus months, don't be a baby, don't be lazy, so what if you're tired, get moving, so-and-so was back at work and doing fine after 4 weeks! (People tell you stories.) It's all I can do to ignore this negative self-talk and thinking and stop comparing myself and what I'm feeling to anyone else. I think we have to have faith that we will get there by respecting our own individual bodies and recoveries! (I'm saying this for myself too.) It's so difficult to be patient about this, but I don't think we have a choice.
Thank you @Seatides I really needed this. I’m 6 weeks post op and I’m feeling the same way. Feeling I should be able to do more,Dont be a baby, don’t be lazy, just do it. And then I do more than I should have and my knee gets angry with me. I needed to hear what you said here. we have to have faith that we will get there by respecting our own individual bodies and recoveries. Thank you again! You just helped me to relax a bit!
You're so welcome, @Summer2020! The ups and downs and forwards and backwards of this prolonged healing and recovery process aren't what most of us expected or were prepared for. @Roux knows what I'm talking about: we think we're finally "getting there," then the next day we're stiff and sore and achy and don't want to move. There's a surprising amount of worry, stress and anxiety: am I doing too much or too little? What am I doing wrong, that my knee is still so ___________ (fill in the blank)? Will the physical therapist hurt me today? I went back to work about 4 weeks ago (surgery will be 4 months ago on Friday), and I sometimes wonder if I should have stayed home longer. My new knee is not too happy with me at times! I feel like I'm never really sure if I'm doing the "right" things to ensure the best possible outcome for my knee.

Summer2020

Country
Oh @Seatides you described it exactly! Some days what I do helps it feel better and so I do things the same the next day and bam pain is back, or it’s in a different spot, or it’s a whole new pain that I’ve never felt before. This is such a strange thing to deal with that my emotions seem to change on a daily basis. I go back to work in a little over two weeks. In some ways I’m so ready, in other ways I’m scared to death. I guess we just take things as they come, one day at a time. Thank you for helping me know there is someone else out there that gets it! One day at a time!

Qdogpa

Country
Not nearly as far as you, but do agree when I feel I have made progress, something happens to cause a small setback..lots of ebbs and flows.. I am told this can be a year long recovery, and while I don’t want to believe it, I will accept it if it happens..Be strong!

OP
OP
R

Roux

Country
Hello

does anyone know anything about patellar femoral crepitus. In the last 2 weeks I have developed pain in the anterior knee, worse with flexion, decreased mobility and a palpable crunching sensation in my anterior distal thigh. I have an appointment with ortho on Wednesday. But if anyone has experienced issues with this I would appreciate input. What is the treatment. How long does it last. I am 19 weeks post op from TKR. Thank you for your help

sistersinhim

Country
I'm sorry. I know nothing about this. I have contacted other staff members to help you.

Pumpkln

Country
Roux,
Glad you are seeing your OS, they will be taking x rays and doing a physical examination, and be able to give you a better idea of what is happening.
It sounds like you have lost ROM, is this correct?
In any case, suggest you cut back your activity and add some ice and elevation to see if your knee will settle down.

You will notice I updated your thread title to "Four Months Post TKR". If you would like something else, let us know and we will update it for you.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@Roux ... do you know if your surgeon gave you a patellar button? If not, it is possible that some of the things you're experiencing may mean you have arthritis under the kneecap or a slight maltracking going on. But.....keep in mind that you posted about a recent trip where you did lots of walking. This is pretty early to do something like that and the over activity can also contribute to what you're feeling now. When people talk about full recovery taking a full year, it's true for a lot of people. We don't usually recommend resuming higher levels of activity or exercise until after 6 months. And even then, the increases should be done gradually. If you take a trip and suddenly up your activity, your new knee is going to tell you about it.

OP
OP
R

Roux

Country
@Jamie ..I am not sure if I have a patellar button. But this maybe a result of overuse because these symptoms all started after that trip. I have been doing minimal activity, icing and elevating. Aren’t they supposed to debride that area of arthritis when they do the replacement. In any case I have an appointment with him Wednesday and will keep you posted. As always thank you so much for your help.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Aren’t they supposed to debride that area of arthritis when they do the replacement. In any case I have an appointment with him Wednesday and will keep you posted.
No, if they don't give you a patellar button, they leave your kneecap alone.
It's now been well established that debriding arthritis can increase the chances of it getting worse.
If there are any signs of arthritis in the patellar part of your knee, you should be given a patellar button. If there aren't, your surgeon should leave it alone.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Celle is correct. If the surgeon did any debridement on your kneecap, a patellar button should have been placed in your knee.

OP
OP
R

Roux

Country
hi jockette

I have a question. I am 24 weeks post op. I know yousaid my knee will improve with time. Did you still have pain and swelling during this time in your recovery. I exercise on the recumbent bike 5 min a day as Instructed by ortho and walk on the treadmill given the current pandemic. But I still have generalized knee soreness stiffness limitation in mobility and sometimes pain. Mostly in the morning But also sometimes throughout the day. How long did it take for you for these symptoms to improve. I’m trying to be positive but some days it is very difficulty. Thanks.

sistersinhim

Country
You aren't even 1/2 of the way through this year long recovery. We have found that walking on a treadmill causing a healing knee a lot of pain. You would be much better off walking around on the floor or outside. The treadmill has a bounce to it. That is bad for your knee. Many of us have tried it and ended up with swelling and pain.

General soreness is normal at the age of your recovery. If it hurts, don't do it. That's the easiest way to heal from this major surgery.

Momma-me

Country
@Jamie I read your question that asked "do you know if you have a patellar button" ?
I assumed with a TKR EVERYONE had a patellar button?

eaglemom

senior
Country
I was just going to make a comment about walking on the treadmill. My surgeon asks that you stop walking on a threadmill (pre-surgery) if you've been doing so. And post surgery he says they are a no no. Your never to step foot on one, period. Since I've been seeing him for several years I ask 'why.' Part of the answer was the bounce you get with each step, but also people tend to walk faster on the treadmill - then they get off and have more issues with their gait.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
How long did it take for you for these symptoms to improve.
I had all those symptoms my whole first year. I had much better improvement in my second, and even my third year post op.

My fear of a treadmill post op was, it keeps moving, and I may not be able to keep up with it. I was really afraid to get on one.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I assumed with a TKR EVERYONE had a patellar button?
Nope, that's not always the case. Many surgeons do place patellar buttons routinely with the idea that if you have arthritis in multiple compartments of your knee, but not under the kneecap, you'll be getting it there as well at some point. But some feel that it's best to leave the patella alone if no arthritis is there when the TKR is done. We see a fair number of those patients back at their surgeon's office for patellar problems within a couple of years after the TKR.

Usually there is involvement of the patella when arthritis gets going, so that's why you probably felt the buttons were always placed.

OP
OP
R

Roux

Country
Thank you everyone for your input. My physical therapist was the one who told me to use the treadmill. I will stop that and just do the recumbent bike and walk outside and around the house. I really appreciate this website because I receive so much important Information and support. Thank you

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
The best exercise you can do overall for knee recovery is walking on a flat even surface always remembering to place your heel first on the ground and then move forward to your toes, to improve your extension try and widen your step. I originally had a treadmill and post op my surgeon said it was doing my knees more harm than good so we then donated it to our local gym, after a while when you are more even footed you can progress to country walks.
Outdoor Walking is good for our general well-being, nothing beats fresh air :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
R

Roux

Country
I am in my 8 th post op month and am still experiencing soreness and pain with flexion Or excessive activity. I often wonder if I am not doing enough activity. I have a raised ranch so I go up and down the stairs multiple times during the day. I walk 2 miles. And try to do this at least 3 times a week. I wonder if my knee will ever be normal. When will I wake up without knee stiffness and soreness...is anyone else experiencing the same? Thank you

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GreenEyez
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Top Bottom