Guest viewing is limited

Found this wonderful website!

Thank you Apricot - I hope so; but am stressing like mad all the time now & find it hard to calm down.
 
Muffikins, I can't tell you how much you sound like me before my hip replacement. I haven't been on this site for probably over 2 years and happened to look at it today and read your thread. I had all the worry, anxiety, sleepless nights, terror; you name it, I had it. I worried constantly about the "what if's" and was sure I would get an infection, etc.... It's been three years since my hip replacement and I'm here to tell you that none of the complications ever happened and all is well. I have a hip now that I can go on with my life and not worry about or even think about. This will be what happens for you! Have faith in God, yourself and the surgeon! Oh, I'm also a cat lover. The avatar is our Bailey that we had to have put to sleep 2 years ago. He was 22. We then adopted two older cats from the pound that were about to be put down. Love of our lives. You'll get through this!! Sending hugs.
 
Oh God thankyou Elaine - esp for the hugs; yes I think & feel just like you did - esp re the infection bit. And have no idea how I will manage once home & alone with a sick cat who won't eat. He's 'crashing' again today & cannot get him to eat. I know the signs now & so have put him on morphine & ant-sickness tabs as the vet said I should when this happens. Just his illness alone is so stressful, without even starting on the THR. Bailey is a lovely name & I understand how much you miss him. Muffikins was my previous rescue cat & she was 24 when she had to be euthanaised. She was heavenly. They all are really. Stewie (AKA Bunny) has been with me for coming up to 5 months. He was a street cat & more than half dead with numerous illnesses & a mouth full of painful rotten teath that had to be removed; he had also been eating various poisonous plants & other things that showed in his bloods. He'd ripped all his fur & a lot of his skin off from stress & Battersea, the rescue centre, were 3 times thinking of putting him to sleep, but each time thier vet said let's just give him another chance. In addition to the pancreatic disease (my vet found he had this, Battersea missed it), he also has an extremely low heart rate & a heart murmour. But I love him to bits. However his anorexia is utterly terrible to try & deal with. Basically I can't. So THIS is why I'm paying for a private op !!! Just so I can control how & when things happen around him. Sending hugs back to you !!
 
Have you tried this....

Nutri-Cal is a high-calorie palatable dietary supplement used for stressed or debilitated pets, pets suffering from illness, surgery or whelping, aging pets or picky eaters, who need increased caloric and nutritional intake.​

Benefits:
Added nutrition for dogs and cats
Provides extra energy for active dogs
Good for picky eaters good taste and can place the recommended amount of gel on your finger, on your pet's paw, or can mix with food
Can be given to pregnant or ill pets

How it Works:
The Nutri-Cal formula contains vitamin A, D & E, Phosphorus, Thiamine, Calcium, Manganese, Iodine, Potassium, Iron, Folic Acid, Riboflavin and other essential ingredients, and provides an additional 338 calories per feeding.​

[Bonesmart.org] Found this wonderful website!


This diet has been specially formulated to assist in the management of stress and anxiety in cats. It provides nutritional support for cats in stressful situations. It will also help with stress related digestive and skin disorders. This diet is formulated with milk protein hydrolysate and supplemental tryptophan and nicotinamide, which create a calming effect. This diet should be fed for a minimum of 2 weeks prior to encountering a stressful situation and it may take up to 12 weeks to see a response in high stress cats already in a stressful situation. This diet comes as a dry formula.​

I feed my old cat a C/D diet for her urinary tract that has added tryptophan for her stress levels. Since she’s been on it her appetite has been wonderful and her health has improved a lot. I’d ask your vet if they think it’s an option.
 
I tried RC for one of my cats who had kidney disease. He would eat it but he always brought it back. It's expensive too.
 
Oh yes - forgot to say - I'm really worried about infection; am already paranoid about bacteria, as in a previous very distant 'life', I used to sell bactericides to hospitals & the like. So am off to the dentist this afternoon to make sure he x-rays everything & confirms no bacteria in sight !! NOT that I like going to the dentist...

Have noticed a few threads about the dentist. What is the dentist connection?
Thank you.
 
Hi miscverb... have been told by my dentist, hygienist & consultant - that the fastest & most likely route (root ??? hahaha!) is via dental problems; more bacteria than anywhere else in the body reside in the mouth & well-cared for teeth & especially gums (ie: that do not bleed when brushed) is the safest thing you can aim for. Risk of infection is greatest AFTER surgery, so no dental or medical proceedures for at least 6 months after surgery. My teeth were all good & the hygienist said I had nothing to worry about as my mouth was no risk & I was doing everything well; but she gave them a clean & polish anyway. It was a great relief - paranoid as I am about bacteria ! And today saw my gastroenterologist, having brough my appointment forward (he's also medical direct of the Royal Surrey & head of infection control) & he's coming in on Saturday especially to do my yearly gastroscopy for me (I also have ulcerative colitis - amongst other things !). So at least I can worry about something else this week - the 2 days prep for the proceedure on Saturday - takes my mind off the THR for this week at least.
 
What fun! Lol The prep is the worst part. Glad it will take your mind off the hip for awhile. I love that you have a sense of humor. Really helps when your stressed.
 
Hey, @Muffikins, tomorrow is the big day. Hope you've got everything figured out and are approaching your surgery with as much calm and confidence as you can muster. It is a huge step you're taking, but having faith in your surgeon and in yourself, you will have a successful outcome, and be able to look forward to a wonderful 2019. Best of luck tomorrow.
 
Good Morning,
Wishing you the best as you head to surgery.
We'll be waiting to see you post on the Recovery side.
You're going to love the result!
@Muffikins
 
Bye bye hip pain:egypdance:
See you on the healing side!:tada:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom