Guest viewing is limited

TKR Flying after surgery

PT was rough today. I have a ROM of 100 and I am 1 degree from being 100% flat. The therapist tried to put a 10 pound on my raised knee with a roll under my heel. I tried for 1 minute and I told him that is enough, I am done. He looked like no one had ever told him no before! 3 week in and I think I am pretty far along. I am doing my home PT stretches and walking around the house and yard. I feel like I am doing very well.

I am also having constipation issues. I took my last pain med last Friday. I started taking Mirilax tonight. This too shall pass!
 
Everyone, Please meet CJ. (chrome joint)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Flying after surgery
    EXP0000.1.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 156
The therapist tried to put a 10 pound on my raised knee with a roll under my heel. I tried for 1 minute and I told him that is enough, I am done.
That is a huge no no. Never use a weight on a new knee, especially one that's only 3 weeks old. :no-fin: It is way too easy to damage this inflamed, fragile tissues. Your PT needs to go to school and learn how to rehab a tkr! Please treat your knee like the infant it is. Why don't you just quit PT. With a ROM of 100/1 at three weeks, you don't need them. You will continue to improve all on your own.
 
It was a great Friday night. I slept in the bed all night! It's been almost a month but I finally made it! This morning my gut finally feels back to normal. Thank you Mirilax! I will be going back to work on 9/4. I plan on short days for the first week or two.
 
What a good report! There's really something nice about getting back into your own bed!
 
I am going to go to Phoenix for business. That will be 7 weeks after surgery. I plan on wearing my TED hose and staying hydrated and I will ask my surgeon.
Any other recommendations?
 
I am going to go to Phoenix for business. That will be 7 weeks after surgery. I plan on wearing my TED hose and staying hydrated and I will ask my surgeon.
Any other recommendations?
Ask for wheelchair assistance at the airport.
Allow extra time for going through security.
And this article offers advice, too:
Flying soon after surgery
 
@sparky9059, I took my first business flight to the west coast (4.5 hrs) at 8 weeks post-PKR. I made sure my flights were direct, no connections to minimize having to walk / rush between gates. If not an option for you, plan flights to give extra time. Even if you arrange for wheelchair assistance, they are not always timely.

I also booked seats on the aisle. That made it easier to stretch out my leg and flex my knee. I also made it a point to mention my recent surgery to the flight attendants so I wouldn’t have issues with me getting up to move around whenever it was allowed. Along with wearing compression hose, it’s important to get up and walk about as much as you can. Keeps you from getting too stiff (we all know how our feet and legs swell during flights) and it also helps to minimize potential for DVT to develop. Make sure you have an adequate supply of pain meds with you also, especially any prescription meds as they will be difficult to obtain or replace when out of town.

NG
 
When I flew to L.A , I got a small old fashioned ice bag. I had no problem getting ice for it during the flight.
 
I am 10 weeks out from TKR and I couldn't be happier. The swelling has gone down and the numb areas are gone. I am riding my stationary bike 10-15 minutes every other night. No pain or swelling. I took my business trip without any issues. I have been cleared to stop physical therapy and I continue to carry on with my home exercises. Dr.Frank Noyes and crew did a fantastic job. Matt and Tim the PT's and Kenja the PT at Arrow springs worked together for the best results for me. I will have no worries about having my left knee done in a few years.
 
13+ weeks out and I feel great!
My flights went well except for one screw up on my part. I only allowed 20 minutes between flights in Minneapolis/St Paul airport! I had to run from gate C5 to C22 which included a ride on a tram! I was the last one on the plane but I made it!!!
I have been done with PT for 5 weeks and I am riding my stationary bike and walking the steps at work without any issues.
 
Wow, you are doing great!!!:happydance:
 
I can't imagine that run you had to do! Your knee held up to the test!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom