TKR FitGal’s Recovery

@Poctdb - thanks for checking in!!! I actually don't go back until tomorrow morning. I will definitely post how I did.

On a separate note, I am getting stronger with walking (with one crutch). I think I may switch to the cane, since my knee seems to buckle sometimes (thinking that is due to my weak quad and my limited ROM). The only thing that seems to be driving me crazy is the sensitivity around the incision and on the sensitive skin where I had the allergic reaction to the tape. Any suggestions on what to put on that skin? I am trying to be very careful as to what I put on that...I just finished with the corticosteroid on it a couple days ago.

I have also been dealing with full body hives, but they seem to be getting better by the day. It seems that by taking a warm shower and then putting cold compresses on the legs and arms prior to getting out of the shower works to keep the hives at bay. Not sure what is bringing them on, but thinking it could be stress?

@FitGal
Stress is a hives producer for sure.....did you ask your dad about what to do or take?
Same with the sensitive skin....

I always found when skin is sensitive, at least with my rosacea, my best answer was to put nothing on it and just let it be for a bit.

My iPad emojis don’t work on this site but I give the walking with a cane a big “thumbs up!”
Don’t get discouraged if you have to go back and forth a few times when you do decide to try the cane.....crutch...cane....crutch...cane... Listen to the knee....it will tell you.
My knee occasionally buckled at about the same point in the process where you are. (3 weeks-ish)
The PT asked the question of me “Does the knee buckle? “ at every session during the first 6 visits.
Let me know how it goes tomorrow.

Good luck at PT today.

Stress can definitely bring on hives. Emotional or physical, and the knee is a bit of both. The compresses are a great idea. Normally I'd suggest aloe vera or OTC hydrocortisone cream to start as I've had good luck with both, but post surgery with various meds and processes going on, definitely check with your doctor before trying anything and see what they say. Hopefully they'll just fade quickly and stop annoying you.

Good luck with PT today! I went yesterday and had my intro to rocking the pedals on the stationary bike. It felt good to stretch my muscles a bit, even though I couldn't move the pedals very much. I'm sorry to hear you now have hives added to the mix. Hopefully they'll calm down and you can get some relief. I recommend trying the cane, but it's taken me about a week of using the cane in the house to feel even slightly comfortable using it when I go out. I also have to remember to add on about 15-20 minutes if I do go anywhere because I'm still super slow. We'll get through this!!! :flwrysmile:

I’m using the cane exclusively now and speed is not part of the deal at all. A nice added benefit is that when I walk around the neighborhood (a short block or two) other people give me a wide berth! Makes me feel much safer.

Thanks all for the well wishes!

@Steelergal - looks like you and I had a similar PT plan for the day :) They stuck me on an upright bike, sized me up, and told me to pedal - not to worry if I can't get the pedal fully around. I pedaled back and forth for 10min and then was told to put my foot fully in the foot strap, point my foot and try to push pedal all the way around - and I was able to do it! I have to tell ya, when I first started pedaling, I became emotionally upset as the whole surgery hit me at once and I woke up to the fact that I have a long way to go until I am back in a spin class.

Anyway, ended up with about 100/+2 today....so a little improvement in ROM. The therapist did not push me too hard, but the knee is screaming right now, so ice, ice, ice and Tylenol! The therapist was also impressed with how my scar/allergic reaction area is healing, so that was a positive!

hoopsgran, steelergal, and Poctdb - buying a cane today!

Great news! You're an inspiration on the ROM and bike! I'm just hoping to get to 80 or 90 in the next week or two! For the cane, this is what I'm currently using and provides a bit more support. Then in a few weeks, I'll switch to a single "foot" cane. The best part is most CVS stores carry this one!

Last edited by a moderator:
@FitGal
HOOHAH! A Camo cane......and ROM improvement.....

You are closer to spin class than you realize. The spin class may not be for the whole hour.....or at your normal level....but you can PEDAL!

Look in the rear view mirror.....go back to the start of your thread....and SAVOR the fact you can pedal......swirl it in your thoughts like fine wine on the palate....

I have learned more about me in the last 8 weeks than I have almost in my 58 years prior...
One of the things I learned during this process was to celebrate and recognize the small things in life. These are things in my rush, in my seeking of better ways, better things whatever, that I never noticed before.

You can pedal......so AWESOME!

Signed Fellow Type A in Texas.....

505D3A8E-4279-448B-A78F-DB95999648BE.jpeg Out of the garage and into the bedroom.

@FitGal....
Chuckling at the bike picture.....it would have been exactly what I would have done....
:heehee:

@Steelergal - I finally transitioned to a cane today and it is going well so far - just can't walk outside as far as I was able to with the crutch, but it may be a "quad-confidence" thing with me.

@Poctdb - yes, got the bike in the house, but can't seem to get the pedal all the way around on this one yet....hoping to tomorrow :)

@Chemist.....
Good one....
@FitGal
He is right.... I can barely see the cane. The camo is great against the wall........

Ok, so pain in this 4th week has been higher than normal. I increased my Tylenol to a total of 3000mg a day. The pain resonates in the middle of the knee in the form of infrequent throbbing zingers when laying down to a sore/dull/stretchy ache when sitting in a chair, to an uncomfortable feeling when walking. Also, the scar is incredible sensitive and sore to touch. There is also a section of the scar (middle) that feels "black and blue" if I put pressure on it or move it the wrong way. Additionally, if I sit too long, it is painful to stand..... Just wondering if all this is "normal". I am more uncomfortable overall this week than I was during week 2 & 3.... especially at night, but noticing a lot more pain during the day as well....

@FitGal I would say what you're experiencing for Week 4 s fairly normal. Have you changed your activity level recently? Most of us started doing more by week 4, and the knee really complains when I do anything new---and I mean ANYTHING. After the second or 3rd try at something, my knee settles down and seems to accept the new activity, unless too much standing is involved. That still gets me every time, even at 12 weeks post-op. :no-fin:

I also have 2 areas of my knee that still seem "black and blue" though you can't see anything. I call them my hot-spots, for lack of a better phrase. I figure something had to have been done in those areas to keep them so sensitive for this long, and time will hopefully sort it out. I even have one area that still swells and burns when I overdo it, and I have no idea why THAT area is the only area of burning I still experience. Again, I hope time sorts it out.

I've found that as I feel better I keep wanting to do more, and every time I do more, I'm actually overdoing a little. It's been very frustrating!! I want to be better NOW!! But no. So I do what I can during the day and ice in the evening.

Howdy @FitGal :

Being uncomfortable at night was my knees' way of telling me that I had done too much. By week 4 I was settling into a routine and was doing more than I realized. May be time to cut back a bit?

Have a great weekend
Chemist

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom