First TKA in October

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a saphenous nerve block which i had never ever heard of until i was in the pre op area. Didnt really matter. I was so prepared thanks to bonesmart. I also had a epideral which work incredibly well. My biggest fear was uncontrollable pain which thankfully never occurred. I was wonderfully medicated at hospital and even more so at home. Never ever missed a dose. Even during the night. My alarm woke me every 4 hours for at least 6 weeks. Not that i slept much. Instead of fearing yourself to death. Think about how much better life will be with new wheels (knees) ! Follow the mantras. Ice like theres no tomorrow! ! Proper elevation and absolutely do not let a therapist bully you or injure your healing knee. Medcoach is a excellent free phone app to help with med intake and alerts as it can be confusing at first and overwhelming with all the meds and different hours etc. Best wishes Iceman
 
I had the spinal and block for both knees. 2nd knee acted up first night a lot worse than the first one but by day 3 it had much less pain going forward than knee number 1 had. with both knees I had no trouble getting up and walking within a few hours of leaving the recovery room.
 
The femoral block failed for me both times--supposedly not common. But the spinal was great. And they were able to medicate me ok when it wore off. The key thing is to communicate with the nurses and not try to be a hero when you're feeling pain.
 
Tomorrow is the big day. This morning I am nauseated just thinking about it. I am sure I won't get much sleep tonight. Gonna try and nap during the day today. My knee that is having surgery has been surprisingly good lately but my rt knee is throbbing (which isn't the one being operated on tomorrow )
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom