Neecey
junior member
- Joined
- Feb 16, 2023
- Messages
- 27
- Age
- 74
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
I’m now six months post-RTKR with an avulsion fracture of the patella two weeks after surgery that had me in a brace for two month. I got out of the brace in mid April, so my rehab really started about 3 months ago.
I am now walking without any kind of assistive device and pretty much doing most things that I did before surgery. My ROM is only about 96, which the surgeon considers acceptable given the patella fracture and the condition of the knee before surgery (my ROM pre-surgery was 90). I’m still going to PT.
My question is, should I be completely pain free at this point? When I walk my dogs in the early morning my knee still hurts a little (not like before) and feels stiff. It loosens up as the day goes on but also can get tired/sore if I’m on it a lot. I have no pain at all if I’m not using it. My surgeon and PT both say it can take up to a year for a full recovery.
What are your experiences? How many months before you felt no clicking and no pain when you walked, and were glad you had the surgery?
I am now walking without any kind of assistive device and pretty much doing most things that I did before surgery. My ROM is only about 96, which the surgeon considers acceptable given the patella fracture and the condition of the knee before surgery (my ROM pre-surgery was 90). I’m still going to PT.
My question is, should I be completely pain free at this point? When I walk my dogs in the early morning my knee still hurts a little (not like before) and feels stiff. It loosens up as the day goes on but also can get tired/sore if I’m on it a lot. I have no pain at all if I’m not using it. My surgeon and PT both say it can take up to a year for a full recovery.
What are your experiences? How many months before you felt no clicking and no pain when you walked, and were glad you had the surgery?

which felt comforting early on. I really like the Body Pillows in particular which are longer than normal bed pillows and inexpensive. I think they cost approx $15 at Target.