THR Finally pulled the trigger

CatchAll

Country
United States United States
I haven't stopped by the forum in a couple of years. I had Right THR in February, 2021, and was in pretty bad mood about needing both hips replaced in my 40s and having to stop my usual activities. Because of this I put my left hip off for too long. Then my surgeon retired, so I just ignored my left hip even longer. After realizing that I have almost wasted my entire 40s limping around I finally made an appointment and met the surgeon's replacement a few weeks ago. I was impressed with him and decided that he could probably do the job. Then his assistant said that he had an open slot in the next couple of weeks, so I took it. I told them that if they give me too much time to think about it, I will put it off again. So, here I am with a new left hip as of April 17, 2024. Everything went extremely well. The new surgeon is some kind of orthopedic wizard. Checked in at 5:30AM and was in the car headed home at 11:00AM. Not much pain or instability. Walked 3/4 of a mile today with a cane. Feeling good about the new hips now. Ready to move on.

Congrats!!!
That's a lot of walking on POD 2 - I hope you're comfy overnight!!!

You've been here before but just in case you can use a refresher...

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Oh good for you Catchall! You go! I am so very happy to hear that all is well. And as the weeks go by you will be happier and happier with your decision and your quality of life. That is great about walking 3/4 of a mile. Yes, move on and enjoy the life you deserve! Sincerely, your friend, Zorro

Well, that was easier than I expected. I remember the recovery from my right hip being pretty quick, but my left one has been crazy. I used the walker for the first day and a half. I didn't feel like I needed it, but thought I should use it to be safe. After that I switched to the cane until yesterday. Again, didn't really feel like I needed it much, but it kept me in the right rhythm going up and down stairs and drivers are more patient when a guy with a cane is crossing the road slowly. Anyhow, its day 8 and I don't even know where I left the cane. Walking, going up and down stairs, standing on one foot (surgical side) ... not a problem. I'm still taking things slow and there's still some tightness in my quad and my leg still has a lot of bruising. I'm taking a couple Tylenol for the minor pain and a mini aspirin to prevent blood clots. The incision on my left is about two inches shorter than the one on my right. I don't know how they got the job done in that little hole. Last time I had a numb foot for a day and then numbness down the side of my leg for a long time. I don't have any of that this time. BUT, there is one issue; my left leg seems to be too long. I guess this is a fairly common feeling? I'm going to start a new thread and see if other people have had this issue.

I had my left hip replaced last week 4/17/2024. My right one was done in February, 2021. When I got home after the surgery last week it felt like my left leg was too long and it still feels that way. I talked to the surgeon's nurse the next day and she said that this is a common feeling and that it usually takes care of itself. I have seen some information online that your pelvis can be tilted from favoring one side for too long and I would expect that post surgery swelling could also come into play too. Has anyone else had a feeling that the leg on their surgical side was too long? Did it finally even out?

Glad to hear your positive update. May your progress continue to be steady.

Hi CatchAll,
As far as Leg Length Differential goes, you're not alone, many feel this sensation post op. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.
Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Best Wishes for a great weekend! :)
@CatchAll

You are doing amazing!
Yes, leg length difference will right itself after a few months. Your new hip needs to adjust.
I felt my right leg was shorter & kept looking in mirror, now I'm all straightened out.
Best wishes.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
leonardcotton
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom