Guest viewing is limited

THR Finally on the other side

I’ve had a ‘google’ over CRPS. The redness and swelling and burning - hmm potentially fits but main thing is if you are seeing improvements just continue doing what you are doing I would say and treat it all as THR recovery at this point. I have pain and nerve fireworks/burning all down my leg into calf. I also have lots of muscle twitches.
 
@Goma - Thank you for your reply, I don't think it's restless legs as I've just googled the symptoms and I don't have any twitchyness nor do I have the need to move my leg as such. From the sound of the symptoms it doesn't sound like much fun, I'm glad you've managed to avoid it this time round.
 
I am still seeing swelling as well. It is part of healing but not fun as it is slightly worrisome. I will let you know what my doctor says next week.
 
my husband then mentioned the difference in colour between my two legs
I believe many experience this. I've read it on the forum and noticed the color difference in my own recovery.
Blood flow increases to the area to support the healing process, which results in the warmth, swelling and redness often experienced.
Enjoy the weekend, Esmerelda!
 
9 weeks post op today - Hi @Clairebella and @Hippie Chick my fellow 9 weekers :flwrysmile:

Unfortunately I don't feel that I'm moving in any direction at the moment and have felt this way for a few weeks. At my last PT session it was suggested that I start walking around the house without a crutch for short periods of time, which I have started doing but it's causing me to hobble/limp quite badly and it also feels quite uncomfortable in the hip area. I'm also finding that I'm leaning over quite a lot on my operated side when walking, I've reduced the size of my stride to tiny pidgeon steps and I am trying to walk heel to toe but I feel very awkward and ill at ease without my left crutch. I'm also wondering if my operated leg might be shorter than my left leg which is why I'm leaning over on that side but it's hard to tell at this stage.

Also when I'm out and about walking with two crutches, after about 20 mins I start getting a deep ache in the top of my thigh, it dosn't feel muscular but surely it can't be the implant ? I also can't seem to walk for longer than 10 minutes before I start leaning heavily on my left crutch which is disappointing as I would have expected to be more weight bearing on my operated side by now. I'm trying to keep positive but I feel that I've come to a complete stand still, when I should be moving forward :sad:
 
Last edited:
it's causing me to hobble/limp quite badly
If you are still limping keep using at least one crutch until that limp resolves. Sounds like you still need the support of that walking aid. Keep doing the heel/toe walking with a nice, smooth stride.
 
It's best to walk properly with assistive device than to walk poorly (and painful) w/o crutches or whatever your choice of assistive device is.
If you are in pain with no crutches by all means keep using them.
I had a walker for 8-10 weeks then graduated to cane.
I was ok in the house holding onto counters in kitchen or chair tops around the table but I took no chances of falling and used the walker.
You will get there.
 
Happy 9 weeks @Esmeralda and @Clairebella! It’s amazing that it’s been 9 weeks. I do not return to work until the last Monday of the month. I am very grateful for this time! Standing up for long spells and increased walking tires me out still. Teachers are no longer behind the desk all day. I will be busy from arrival to departure. I still experience swelling and discomfort when I do a lot but so much better than problem hip pain. I saw a mention of mini-ice packs which sounds like a great idea. My gait is improving slowly. I use my walker around my dogs- they are still very playful and learning not to jump on me. I have not seen a PT since prior to surgery. I am walking independently more around the house but still use my cane a great deal. It has four prongs which helps provide stability. Carrying anything on that side causes gait issues and more walking pain. I am learning to rethink these things. Outside I definitely use a cane due to uneven ground. My surgical leg seems straighter/longer but I think that’s where I am now pain free in the joint (still experiencing healing pains). I would love to be able to walk outside more or walk in the pool but getting ready and driving there would zap all of my energy. I feel like I can feel my internal scar and swelling when I am sitting down. Things are slowly getting better. @Esmeralda I am sure you are making great progress! I can easily relate to what you are experiencing! My OS says I will see lots of improvement over the next month and you will as well!
 
I can relate @Esmeralda and happy 9 weeks to us including @Hippie Chick

If you are limping I would definitely use one crutch. I spoke with my PT yesterday as I continue to have pain. She said I won’t get pain from the implant at all as it has zero pain receptors. However, all the surrounding bone and soft tissue will still have healing and ongoing remodelling at this point still. The femur has to get used to its new metalwork. Our own bony socket which was drilled and cleaned out will still give pain. Pain receptors and our neuro system is all still fired up.

One thing I would be looking and checking is for signs of infection which is what my PT asked me given I still get quite sore. But I have no temp and I don’t feel unwell. I can get swelling still though.

She also advised that I should have a weekly timetable of activities/exercise and rest but only when I feel ready. So maybe go to pool Monday then rest Tue then a walk Wed then rest and some gentle exercises Thur etc etc.
 
Thank you @Jaycey and @myglasshalffull for the good advice. I was in two minds whether to continue to push on walking crutchless or go back to single crutch use for a little while longer and I think staying with one crutch definitely makes sense for now. I really don't want to go back to limping having spent two years pre op with a limp, I just need to be patient for a little while longer but sometimes that is easier said than done :)
 
@Hippie Chick - I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling about the prospect of returning to work soon especially as you will have to physically be there. I never thought I would say this but I'm really glad I'm retired !

It does sound like you are doing really well so hopefully come the end of November, it won't be too much for you. Will you be going back on a phased return or are they expecting you to jump straight back in ?
 
@Clairebella - Thank you for sharing your PT's advice which does much sense. I broke my big toe several years ago and I had forgotten how long such a small straight forward break took to fully return to normal and be pain free.

My scar area is a pain - literally ! I will definitely keep an eye on it re possible infection.

I'm sorry to hear that you are still in considerable pain, hopefully speaking to your PT has helped put your mind at rest regarding this. Have you been able to reduce your pain meds over the last few days or are you still having to take codeine to cope with the pain ?
 
I still need to take codeine but I take it on an as required need. I take 15 mg with 2 paracetamol which the surgeon did say 2 weeks ago was a small dose and not to be concerned.
 
I am going to be expected to jump right in there! I am fortunate to be out 12 weeks for this. Things are going to have to look different because I simply cannot do everything I was doing before. I am making adjustments at home so will need to at work as well. I see this reconfiguring as a positive. It is so easy to let work take over your life. I was scheduled to present at an upcoming conference. I had to step back from this. My associate wanted me to prepare the presentation materials and backed out when I did not. I also have an event in early December that I will have to facilitate. I am also looking at what brings me joy and what have become expectations.

@Clairebella when are you expecting to return to work?
 
@Hippie Chick I’m jealous of your 12 weeks off. But it also gives me a little bit of anxiety thinking about not working for 12 weeks.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom