Finally off the dope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

alpha
Country
United States United States
I started taking Ultram six months before my TKR on Jan 17.
Since then, I've been on Oxycodone. I've gradually tapered off but on occasion had to up it some.
Today is the first day in 10 months I haven't been on prescription pain meds.
It feels great!!!
I've worked hard in the yard everyday this week doing things I haven't been able to do for the past two years.
I did get snake bit. Non poisonous...No I didn't wet my pants but came close. Fortunately no kids were around for my post bite discussion with the snake. I later found two more snakes in the yard...Summer is here!!!

CONGRATS !!!!!!!! Doug im sure glad your off em and i hope you have NO withdrawls awesome hearing your doig great !!! have fun ........... JIM

Good for you Doug! I'm at 9 weeks and tried to get off 10/325 hydrocode last week. Wow! Not good! RLS and heebie-jeebies. Went back on 5/325 vicadin Monday. I have been on hydrocode for almost a year.

I'm impressed......good luck!.....Steve

I've been getting the heebie-jeebies, but nothing else major. Some nausea, and weird quad quivering ..My energy level has jumped up a whole lot. Which probably explains the yard work this week...

Doug, I'm SO PROUD of you. You will only feel better and better as the days go by without the drugs. You worked hard to get off them gradually and that undoubtedly helped lessen your withdrawal symptoms somewhat. But....don't be surprised if you still have "moments" for a few days when you feel sick, jittery, can't sleep, legs hop, head spins around backwards (just kidding about that one). You're in great shape! I'm sure the snakes appreciate a drug-free bite too. Watch yourself, ya hear!

You will feel soooooo much better once you get them out of your system! Good luck the next few days.

Good for you, Doug. Now THAT is a milestone!!

Congrats to you Doug. Glad your energy level is returning. I think getting off the "dope" helps with that?

Just finished packing for John Island Camp weekend. Can't believe how much we have to take for a few days!! Obviously have to take a portable stove for my tea making. The coffee making system just doesn't boil the water enough. I am very fussy with my tea!! We take duvets for sleeping too as we don't fit in sleeping bags, (LOL) I get closterphobic anyway and I have too many hot flashes. Remembered to pack my ice packs !!

Going to check out the rest of the threads now, then I will check in after the weekend. Have a great weekend all!!

Well, is no one going to ask about the snake bite? How the heck are you? Did you need treatment? What kind of snake was it?

Okay, now that I've checked on your health - Congratulations! I am so proud of you! You've worked hard for this. You earned it and the recognition that accompanies it. You definitely are da man.

It does feel great to get off the heavy drugs. I go several days without and then something happens and I need something - but now I'm taking 5/500 rather than 10/325, and sometimes I cut those in half. I am going to make an effort to wean myself entirely but am waiting until after this weekend's hunting trip as I just think I'll need something possibly.

Doug, you are a great role model and you've inspired me so many times to get off my butt or cut back on meds. God bless you, bro.

Skeet

Well Skeet, thanks for the kind words..
It was just an Oak Snake..about 2' long...I was cutting some bushes back and thought I had stepped on a stick..Felt a hard thump on just above my ankle. When I looked down and saw the snake ,my new knee functioned very well..
I was 15' away from it before I slowed down. Oak snakes have a diamond pattern similar to a rattle snake..They blend perfectly with the woods and leaves.
This was my third hit from an oak snake and they've never broken the skin..It is surprising how hard that little snake does strike..I think it might just be a warning strike.
I don't intentionally kill non poisonous snakes. They eat the bugs and other little pests.

Ugh... I REALLY hate snakes... kind of on a phobic level....."just" a 2' one? It's not the bite that would get me-- it's the cardiac arrest.....

You really have inspired me Doug, with your hard work , great attitude, and humorous stories that have made me laugh out loud at times I really needed some cheer. Plus, you are just a darned good human being!

Thanks for all!

You guys are making me feel so good, I might have to go get snake bit again......just kidding..My heart can't take too many more of those.

I would handle it differently as it would thoroughly tick me off to be bitten. I'd probably hack the darned thing to death and then some. If I was packing I'd shoot it until I was out of ammo. They do provide some good services, but that is all forgotten when they bite me or one of mine! Just sayin'

Good point Skeet.
After I slowed down and realized that it was just an oak snake, I looked around to see if anyone had seen or heard me, then I started laughing.
When I was 16-17, I used to catch snakes and sell them to the Miami Serpentarium. We would go out into the Everglades and have a blast.
Young and stupid...

I remember when I was a little girl there were a strip of wooded rocks between my house and the house next door. Small boulders we could climb and sit on. We used to play house, store or school or Barbies. Plenty of snakes there, mostly Garter (gardner?). One day there was this pretty different looking snake. Now sure how they saw it other than maybe a bunch of screaming little girls ran to get their mommy, but the next thing you know the 2 moms were outside very upset with one (my mom) wielding the dirt shovel. Next thing you know CHOP the snakes head is off! Well guess it was a copper head.

I grew up in Texas and we had copperheads and water mocassins around all the time. You get used to it. That and tarantulas, armadillos, etc. The dogs used to grab the copperheads by the head and just snap it off. I think they got bitten once or twice but no one ever died from it. Copperheads are poisonous but only really dangerous to like little kids... not that I would want to be bitten, but I don't think I'd die.

We have copperheads hear but they are rare. As far as kids, the I used to be concerned about Coral Snakes. They are a beautiful snake with colored bands. They resemble King snakes which are non poisonous...
Thank goodness we don't have tarantulas. Now I can make it through a snake bite but a spider freaks me out. I hate armadillos. They tear a yard apart.
I have a friend who opened his front door one night and a armadillo ran inside his house. His wife started screaming. His dogs , big labs, got the armadillo and tore it up inside the house. His wife wouldn't even help with the clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013