tanvat
junior member
- Joined
- Jan 24, 2023
- Messages
- 87
- Age
- 53
- Gender
- Male
- Country
United States
I’m now 18 months out from my total left hip replacement and 16 months from the right. I thought I’d share my experience for those who are contemplating THR or are in recovery. After the initial swelling from surgical trauma settled after two weeks, I had rapid, noticeable improvement every week. The arc of recovery slowed after several weeks, but I still had noticeable monthly improvement in strength, mobility, and gait. For me, I benefitted from slowly and steadily increasing my activity consistent with comfort. I walked and slowly resumed lower body weight training to regain strength, endurance, and range of motion. The key, I think, is to slowly -and steadily progress, being patient and banking those small incremental improvements.
Last November, 5 months the second THR, my family and I spent 5 days walking all over Paris all day, every day. My wife and sons’ all logged a bit over 60 miles over the 5 days and the only discomfort I had was that my feet got tired! The hips…pure gold, not even a stitch of discomfort. Just fantastic.
This past summer, a bit over a year out, I did a week long hike in the Rocky Mountains, another 60+ miles, but over rugged trails with significant elevation change. Again, tired feet, but no hip issues.
My left hip has an occasional very minor, dull ache for no apparent reason, but its only something I notice if I think about it and it resolves with a walk or light activity. In my early 50’s I assume I’ll need revisions on both hips. So be it. Should I live long enough and enough fun to wear them out, then Ingot my moneys worth … and the resumes quality of life is truly priceless.
Unfortunately, not everyone has a rosy outcome and I know the tide could turn on me too. But I like the high probability of significant improvement and regaining quality of life over the certain pain and limitation of serious Hip arthritis. If you get THR, be in as good of shape pre-op as you can, be patient, move, exercise, and focus on the everyday small steps that, over weeks and months will get you to a much better place.
Last November, 5 months the second THR, my family and I spent 5 days walking all over Paris all day, every day. My wife and sons’ all logged a bit over 60 miles over the 5 days and the only discomfort I had was that my feet got tired! The hips…pure gold, not even a stitch of discomfort. Just fantastic.
This past summer, a bit over a year out, I did a week long hike in the Rocky Mountains, another 60+ miles, but over rugged trails with significant elevation change. Again, tired feet, but no hip issues.
My left hip has an occasional very minor, dull ache for no apparent reason, but its only something I notice if I think about it and it resolves with a walk or light activity. In my early 50’s I assume I’ll need revisions on both hips. So be it. Should I live long enough and enough fun to wear them out, then Ingot my moneys worth … and the resumes quality of life is truly priceless.
Unfortunately, not everyone has a rosy outcome and I know the tide could turn on me too. But I like the high probability of significant improvement and regaining quality of life over the certain pain and limitation of serious Hip arthritis. If you get THR, be in as good of shape pre-op as you can, be patient, move, exercise, and focus on the everyday small steps that, over weeks and months will get you to a much better place.