TKR Final PT TODAY

Congrats on being done and home. Rest, ice, elevate and medicate is the name of the game right now.

Yep! I am doing the bone smart mantra!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hi @dmetz and welcome to the other side (we need a downloadable clip of Adele singing!)
Hope you are comfortable and resting today!

Thanks keefsmom

Glad to hear you're doing so well and the patch is also working!

I know. I am thrilled not having to deal with nausea. Hopefully it will continue. Thanks Pheebs.

Well today is day 4 post op I think I'm doing pretty good. Leg is extremely swollen and stiff but pain is under control. The only exercise I'm doing right now are the ankle pumps and the quad tightening. My knee is so swollen and tight the heel slides would be unbearable. Fortunately I don't have PT until Monday. It's the same PT I had for my other knee and she is very gentle. I remember after my last tkr I said I will never do that again. I think it's like having a baby and you fall in love with your knee and become willing to do it again! Lol

Hi guys! I'm having an issue with constipation. Tried the miralax twice. I've been taking the colace morning and night. Finally resorted to fleets enema but still not feeling like I had a full bm. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

i had the same problem as a side effect from the Oxycocet (Percocet); was taking Docusate Sodium since surgery, then after 5 days, no b.m., (but gas pains) started taking Senokot. Took a few more days, then had severe diarrhea , ended up stopping all meds at the 3 week mark as i was also so nauseated i couldn't eat. i'm not recommending anyone else do that, but i just had to get it out of my system. i started eating a brand of natural black liquorice and that has kept me regular since, along with the fact that i'm eating normally again at 7 weeks post op.

i really do empathize with you ~ sorry i can't be more helpful. a lot of us have the same problem here. feel better soon.

Thanks liam!

I have had a constipation for most of my adult life to to taking pain meds. I have had to take a dose of miralax morning and night along with Dulcolax for a week or so I have to take 3 tablets of the Dulcolax every other day. Then I finally have a good clean out. I just got home from the hospital I had my Right hip replaced. Hope you are healing up good. Kate Kimmer [emoji254]

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Thanks kimmer! At this point I'll try anything.

Hi guys! I'm having an issue with constipation. Tried the miralax twice. I've been taking the colace morning and night. Finally resorted to fleets enema but still not feeling like I had a full bm. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I suspect most of us have a problem with constipation when taking pain meds. I tried the stool softener pills and nothing. Tried Milk of Magnesia and it worked but messy and extreme. So I settled with Miralax and waited the 3 days. A full capful in a big glass of water. Miralax works much better faster when you are well hydrated and keep well hydrated. I also started taking 2 Probiotic tablets a day and that helped also. [emoji6]

susieo461

Senekot was what finally helped me. After a week of that, I went back to Miralax with success. And lots and lots and LOTS of water!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@dmetz

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't be concerned that no one will see you new question. Between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. It's a good idea to do that.

As for the constipation, yes, it is a side effect of the pain medications, unfortunately. We do have an article about it, here:
Constipation and stool softeners

It's the pits, isn't it? I found 1 Senekot and 2 Colace daily works, but I also take a probiotic and increased my fiber with Bran Flakes. If those aren't helpful, someone, perhaps Celle, mentioned Kiwi for those like me who are prune averse. I like @liam2015 's idea the best; sounds great and will have hubs look for some!

Yes, that was me! Kiwifruit is very good for curing constipation. Don't eat a kiwi, though - that's a bird! :heehee:

Once I'd cured the initial constipation, I found that if I took Senokot regularly, that kept me regular.

Lol. Thanks for the warning! [emoji3]

Hi all! The magic anti nausea meds quit working yesterday morning. I thought this time I was going to make it through the first few weeks taking the pain meds and getting better. To no avail. I stopped taking the pain meds yesterday morning. The nausea was off the charts. Today I feel better but still very queasy! I'm going to just do the tylenol / ibuprofen cocktail that is recommended here. Which if someone can kindly repost for me I would be so grateful. I had cancel PT this morning because the nausea was still so bad.

I'm so sorry that nausea came back. Here's the schedule:
The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
aa-tramadol-routine-2-jpg.51125

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks