Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Femoral neuropathy and laxity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gig went FANTASTIC on Saturday! I stood for about half the songs - sat the other half. I did manage to break a string in the middle of a solo though - LOL!

Feeling pretty good - staples come out this week. Need to build up strength though, leg is pretty week.

Rich
 
It's too early to be thinking about strengthening your new knee. Let it heal first.
 
Hi Rich, just logged on by chance. I was amazed to read that you've had a revision and are now out and about doing gigs :wowspring:. For an old cynic like me it really brought a smile to my face. I know its early days but you do seem to be doing well.

Now you've been to hell and back and lived to tell the tale, what's your take on it all?

Carol
 
Now you've been to hell and back and lived to tell the tale, what's your take on it all?

Hard to say yet but - so far it's feeling much more stable. Still have leg length issue... I feel A LOT better whenI'm wearing my elevator shoe on my other foot. :)

thanks Carol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you @Josephine Why is it so hard for me to accept that? lol! Rest and elevate.... ice ...

:-)
 
As the elevated shoe does the job doesn't that take care of the `leg length issue'?

Not completely. My length has changed again (a bit) after the poly sway. Doctor told me I went from a 9 to a 13 sized spacer (I think this is centimeters but not sure). Which makes my leg even longer now. My new doc told me that in order to get the exact measurements of my legs I'll need some kind of imaging done - not just a tape measurement. So - I guess I don't have the correct balance yet. At the advice of my PT guy - I added an insert to my right, already elevated shoe. This feels about right.
I don't know though, my right leg is a bit bowed but a 1 inch difference (I live in the US :) ) seems like a lot - doesn't it?

thanks @patient 99
and thanks for sticking with me these last two years!
 
Doctor told me I went from a 9 to a 13 sized spacer

Hi Rich, 9cm = 3.5 inches 13cm=5.11 inches. Boy, that's a lot. Its no wonder you were experiencing looseness. I've this image of you having over 2 inches of knee with nothing much in it (the layman's take on things:wink:).

and thanks for sticking with me these last two years!

Welcome. Time passes soooooooo quickly. Truth is because I was there at the beginning when you were going through the `should I shouldn't I stage' , I have a personal interest.

Is having a spacer changed much less traumatic than having a total knee replacement?

Do you see what's happened Rich? Once you were the one asking questions, now you are the one answering them. The world of TKR sure throws us some curve balls.
 
Doctor told me I went from a 9 to a 13 sized spacer (I think this is centimeters but not sure).
I think that's millimetres, not centimetres. 13 mm is about half an inch.
10 centimetres is 4 inches, so if your spacer was 13 cm you would be a whole lot taller!

Yes, Carol, @patient 99 , a spacer replacement is less extensive than replacing the entire implant.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
In order to properly manage leg length, you must get an X-ray of the entire leg from hip to ankle. It is then measured and compared to the other leg.

I found that the little things you put in shoes hurt my back a lot, so make sure you are not raising your hip with the inserts.
 
I think that's millimetres, not centimetres. 13 mm is about half an inch.

You are correct - centimeters would be quite a big difference :-)
you must get an X-ray of the entire leg from hip to ankle.
correct @skigirl - I did this on Friday. Hopfully I'll get the results this week and use it to get new shoes with the proper correction!

Apparently, according to my PT, I need to work on my propriocepotion (sp?) My doc marked this off on my outpatient PT slip. Start PT this Thursday.

Rich
 
Is having a spacer changed much less traumatic than having a total knee replacement?

Yes - they still cut into you of course - and need to cut through scar tissue so it's no picnic, but it's not as painful as the first time around. MUCH less swelling too!!! :-)
 
Proprioception is the feeling of your knee in space. For instance after my first tkr, I would think I was bending my knee, but was not sure how much. I had to look in a mirror as I bent my knee to relearn how each stage of bending felt to my brain. Also, I wear a neoprene sleeve while skiing---which helps with the proprioception of my knee. I can feel the brace and thus am very aware of how much bend I am making.
 
I wear a neoprene sleeve while skiing

I am amazed that you can ski with a TKR!! That's fantastic - but is it recommended? I received a list of activities that are NOT recommended and things like running were on there ( although I know there are people who run with a TKR). I don't remember whether skiing was something that was frowned upon or not. I'm still just trying to stand and walk!
Rich
 
Rah2435,
Some OS's are more restrictive than others, the key is knowing your own limitations and listening to your knee.
I know of a woman with BTHR and BTKR's that skis. It just depends. My TKR is out of alignment and skiing is out for me, trouble enough with it just walking.
That said here is an article about sports and replacements, bottom line is for the most part active people do better than those who are inactive.
Sports after TJR: knee replacements not harmed by most sports
 
That said here is an article about sports and replacements, bottom line is for the most part active people do better than those who are inactive.

I would love to run again - maybe this revision will allow it but - I need the other leg done as well. I have a considerable leg length difference so running or even jogging might hurt my hips/back. Like you, I have enough trouble just walking and standing right now. My knee IS aligned correctly and now that the spacer is fixed - we'll see how much more I can do. I used to lift weights on a daily basis and use the elliptical or something similar at the gym. We'll see how PT goes with this revision and go from there... I was hoping I could do more after the TKR but I've been in pain now for two years as a result of it. It actually made things worse.

I'm hoping!!

Rich
 
Rich,
With a revision, you should be even more cautious. You might want to look at the Zero Runner. @Shortie had a revision and uses one a couple of days a week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom