Guest viewing is limited

TKR Feeling frustrated

Thank you all for your comments. As someone who suffers from anxiety and depression, I’m always interested in reading how other people coped with theirs. I was very depressed for the first six weeks after my TKR on the 11th October. The pain was excruciating, the isolation even worse as I live on my own and I’m not good at opening up to people about how I really feel. Fortunately once I was able to drive again and go out and about I felt much better. My knee is still very stiff and sore but what I’m worried about now is how my knee gets even stiffer when I’m worried and anxious. I’ve read that anxiety and depression delay healing as when your body is in that heightened state of arousal, it can’t heal. For example, I’ve been very stressed about something for the past couple of days which has now been sorted but both my knees have felt very inflamed and therefore stiff. This is exactly how they felt when I was stressed before the TKR so I keep asking myself whether I should have even had it done as I’m worse now than before. Fortunately I’m seeing my surgeon next week so will talk to him about it but I feel as though he only wants to hear success stories. I’ve tried getting my doctor to prescribe anti inflammatory pain medication but it’s impossible to get to see a GP in the UK as primary care here is at its worst ever since the pandemic. I can feel myself getting quite despondent again and don’t want to get so low again. I wondered whether anyone else has noticed that their pain is worse when they’re stressed.
 
Yes @Downsview, your are so right. Pain and depression are closely related. Depression can cause pain — and pain can cause depression. In fact, it can become a vicious cycle --our pain worsens the depression, and then the resulting depression worsens our pain. Sometimes we need help to break the cycle temporarily so we can recover.

Like you, I had a problem with pain and depression during recovery from surgery a decade ago. Thankfully, my surgeon referred me to a psychiatrist and, within a couple of weeks of starting on anti-depressant, my mood lifted and my pain began to recede. I didn't need the medication long term, just for a few months until I turned the corner in my recovery.

Could you speak with your surgeon about this? I don't know the protocols in the U.K., but perhaps you could get a referral as I did?
 
I also found my pain levels were higher when I was upset about something.
 
I’m now six months on from TKR and my knee is still very stiff. I can only walk about 3000 steps before both knees start hurting and I have to stop and rest. I’m fairly active in the mornings but take it easier in the afternoons. I still get very tired and go to bed early. Fortunately I don’t have pain or stiffness when I’m lying or sitting down.

I’m quite disappointed with my lack of progress and have become lazy about doing my exercises as I think what’s the point?!!! My question is, should I persevere with the exercises and for how long are we expected to do them after a TKR? Many thanks.
 
I'm at 4 months post surgery and only go to physio once a week, mainly to control my knee as I had a set back at week 4, other than a gentle session on gait training & doing stairs normally ( I still can't do them alone at home) I do no other exercises. as walking and daily living activities are all the exercise the knee needs. From my experience of my left knee which was operated on in 2019, healing is still ongoing, occasionally it too still swells and hurts, although it bends and moves perfectly, just wish my right one would do the same, but I know this will eventually happen, its just taking longer.
Are there any local slow walking groups you could join, as getting outside and enjoying the fresh air helps enormously with depression it will also take your mind off your knee or even art/sewing classes, here you can meet other people.
When you can talk to your GP and hopefully he will be able go help you x
 
My understanding is that having a MUA starts the rehab process all over so, if that is true, you’re only at the 2 month mark and what you’re experiencing is normal. Others may chime in and correct me if I’m wrong.
 
My understanding is that having a MUA starts the rehab process all over so, if that is true, you’re only at the 2 month mark and what you’re experiencing is normal.
Spot on - recovery starts all over again post MUA. Ice and elevate as much as you can and don't stress about ROM. You just need to give that knee time to heal.
 
Thank you for all your comments. I’ve been walking a bit more for the last few days and not doing any exercises and that seems to be helping. I’ve also started doing some mindfulness to help with my state of mind. Spring is here in the UK which always helps as the countryside looks so pretty. Onwards and upwards!
 
I’m quite disappointed with my lack of progress and have become lazy about doing my exercises as I think what’s the point?!!! My question is, should I persevere with the exercises and for how long are we expected to do them after a TKR? Many thanks.
As long as you are moving about during the day, which it definitely sounds like you are, “formal” exercises are not necessary. All your movements count as “PT” and they are what I like to call, natural PT.

Regaining our ROM, strength, and general recovery, is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
I'm one of those that never took formal PT. I was also alone and had to take care of things myself. The home, yard, and cats were all the PT I needed. As Jockette said, that's natural PT. I used the knee the way it was intended to be used and never did any exercises. This was after each of my 12 knee surgeries. My knees healed

Onwards and upwards!
Recovering alone isn't always easy, but you have the right attitude. Each day is a success and getting closer to the next week, which will be better! Just remember that slow and easy=a less painful recovery.
 
I haven’t written a post for ages but I’d like to hear from other people who might be in the same position as me. I had a RTKR in October 21 and a LTKR in November 22. I think I’m one of the unlucky one in five people who are no better off. Both knees are uncomfortable and when I’m standing or walking I’m always aware of pain. There is nothing wrong with the replacements as confirmed by Xrays and the surgeon’s response is always ‘give it time’. (I live in the UK)
I feel extremely frustrated that my quality of life is no better than before the replacements despite exercising, Pilates, Aquatherapy, physiotherapy, mindfulness and walking for my limit of 30 minutes.
I don’t want my post to put people off who have recently had a knee replacement or who are about to have one. After all, four out of five people are happy with the result.
I just wondered whether anyone had found a solution to a similar problem.
 
@Downsview Welcome back to BoneSmart! What was the date of your LTKR? I'll update your signature for you.

Unfortunately we do have members with the in the same situation. Have you thought about getting a second opinion?
 
Hello. I know the feeling. I had a left TKR in Dec 2022 and not only still have pain on any activity but am quite incapacitated now. I had to buy an automatic car at 7 months post op as gear changing was painful. I have never been able to go upstairs normally and still limp so this strains my other 9 year old partial. Physio have run out of exercises and say I must ring up the NHS every day as something is "catching" in my knee. My GP has written in June but not heard. I emailed the complaints dept Saturday and by this morning they had got an appointment for January. Wish I'd complained before.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your message, Jaycey. My LTKR was the 9th November 2022.

I haven’t sought a second opinion as the surgeon said the post op X-rays all looked fine.

I think I may need to go down the route of pain management even though I’ve been trying to do that myself with mindfulness apps like Curable.
 
I went through the same thing with my right knee. I injured my patella tendon at physio. From that point onwards, my knee was constantly swollen. I ended up at a pain clinic just as COVID started. I was prescribed tramadol and physiotherapy. Tramadol helped with the pain. Physio nothing. The pain finally subsided enough that I could exercise non weight bearing. Walking any distance was out. My OS did tests but could find nothing wrong. I decided to get a revision done. 6 weeks in and I am amazed at the difference.
 
Thanks for your message, Jaycey. My LTKR was the 9th November 2022.

I haven’t sought a second opinion as the surgeon said the post op X-rays all looked fine.

I think I may need to go down the route of pain management even though I’ve been trying to do that myself with mindfulness apps like Curable.
I'm sorry you are still having problems.

I would urge you to get a second opinion from someone not affiliated with the original surgeon and facility. X-rays can't show post op soft tissue problems (tendons, ligaments, bursae) that may be diagnosed and treated quite nicely.

Please don't give up!
 
I think I’m one of the unlucky one in five people who are no better off.

There is nothing wrong with the replacements as confirmed by Xrays

I haven’t sought a second opinion as the surgeon said the post op X-rays all looked fine.

I am in a similar situation. Unfortunately, second opinions are not always helpful. I‘ve had 3, and no one has found anything to fix or offered me any help. Of course, like yours, my X-rays look fine. It’s very frustrating. :console2:

However, you may have better luck with a second opinion. It might be worth looking into.
 
I also suggest you search for a second opinion from a doctor who doesn't know your current doctor. Look for one who is a revision specialist. They know what to look for in problem knees, and that is not just the xrays!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom