TKR Feeling Fortunate

Dragoness

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've just been reading through some of the TKR Recovery threads and, after reading some of the negative experiences, I feel that I have been very fortunate so far. I had my left TKR with lateral release on 11th January 2016, under spinal anaesthetic, and came home on the 14th. For the first 10 days I felt extremely tired most of the time, but I just gave in to it - especially as I had problems getting comfortable in bed at night. This is now resolving and I find I am gradually getting more energy.

As far as pain control, made sure to take this at regular times - breakthrough was only occurring at night and as I was given some Oramorph to bring home with me I only used it at that time. My leg felt quite 'tight' at first, but this gradually resolved - I made sure never to force things, but just to do little & reasonably often. By the time the Nurse came on the 25th I was getting around the house using just one crutch for support. The dressing came off, the stay sutures were removed and the end of the continuous suture were snipped - a lot of the 'tightness' was relieved after this had been done.

Tuesday 26th was my first visit to the PT, they were quite pleased with my mobility - I have a flexion of 97 degrees and can do a full extension. They have given me more exercises to do and I return again on 2nd February. I am now getting about the house without the crutches - all be it slowly and am able to tackle the stairs (up & down) normally. I am still icing and do get a bit of an 'ache' after exercise, but nothing which causes undue discomfort.

As far as the operation, I work as an operating theatre sister and have experience in orthopaedic theatres, so I knew what my surgery entailed and I think this has been a great help for me personally. My outlook regarding pain also helped me - prior to surgery I lived with chronic pain and there seemed to be no end in sight, but since - the pain is different and lessening as my recovery progresses.

I'm hoping that my recovery continues like this and am taking each day as it comes, because I know that the body has to consolidate every so often in order to move forwards with the healing process. I also know that I will be doing this all over again when I have my right TKR.

I have attached today's' photo (hopefully) - there is still some swelling and bruising visible, but I am happy with the result so far.

I wish you all a good journey as you heal from your surgery.

I also had a fairly easy recovery. I will tell you that your recovery might continue at this pace, or you might have a blip. Most of all, do not overdo---which is so easy to do when you are doing well. Now is not the time to decide to shop for groceries, you have many weeks of healing before you are all done.

I will give you the articles from our library that we give to new knee owners!! good work so far!

First are the BoneSmart Recovery Philosophy. . .

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds according to your prescription, don't wait for pain to occur, don't overwork.
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- Take note of the BoneSmart view on exercise and how exercise may affect pain and swelling.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it; if you must do it, short and sweet, not hours on your feet.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Thank you,
I have been reading the articles and have found them very useful.
I have been out of the house once so far - to visit a friend who is a week behind me with her surgery. My husband acted as chauffeur and although I enjoyed getting out I was glad to get home again. and get my leg up in my recliner.
He will be taking me out again on Saturday as I return to my local Slimming World group for a weigh in, then again on Tuesday for my next PT appointment.
I'm certainly not 'resting on my laurels' with this and I know my progress could slow down, stop or even reverse if I try to force anything - so I'm just taking it a day at a time.

Hi @Dragoness
:welome:
It sounds as if you're doing very well. :yay:

So that we can see it at the bottom of every post you make, and so that we don't have to keep referring back to your first post, please will you create a signature, in which you put your knee surgery and its date? That will make it easier for us to advise you appropriately.
Hover over your username (top, right of the page and select Signature from the drop-down list. Then create and save your signature. This article also explains how to do it:
How to create a signature
Thank you. :flwrysmile:

Best wishes for continued good progress.

Hi Celle,
Thanks for the good wishes, also for the info on creating a signature.
I was wondering how people had managed to get their details down - I'm a bit of a numpty with things like that.:heehee:

I work as an operating theatre sister and have experience in orthopaedic theatres
You can't be a numpty if you're a theatre sister! No way am I having that! :snork:

I'm so delighted to welcome a fellow theatre sister.
May I ask which hospital you work in? Are you a member of the AfPP?

I am so glad you are doing well. It is good to have a nice balance of recoveries on the site.

Now, I must go look up what a numpty is!

Sorry Timetoilve,
Numpy is a Northern English term which is generally used to describe someone who isn't very clever. Thanks for the good wishes.

Like you, I had a relatively easy recovery compared to so many here on this site. It sounds like you have a wonderful, positive attitude that can only help in your recovery! Keep us posted as to your progress! It's always nice to read about the successful recoveries….stories like yours give hope to so many others who are struggling.

May I ask which hospital you work in? Are you a member of the AfPP?
Hi Josephine, I will be happy to send you more details about the hospital I work in as soon as I have reached the 'target' number of posts which will enable me to send a personal message, if that's ok.
I am not in AfPP - just a Unison member.
I don't have anywhere near as much experience as you. I didn't begin my nurse training until 1993, a few days before my 40th birthday. Within 3 months of starting my training I had decided I wanted to work in theatres.
On qualifying I started in Orthopaedic theatres and remained there for approximately 18 months. From there I went into General theatres, with a brief stint in plastics.
I have been in Emergency Theatres for the past 12 years and that's where I got my sisters' post. The hospital I work at has separate orthopaedic trauma theatres, but when working 'out of hours' the Emergency Team take on anything which comes through the doors.
When explaining to non medical/surgical people I usually say 'we work with the squidgy bits and the trauma team deal with the crunchy bits!'
You are amazing to still be working, it's not exactly an 'easy' place - although it is always interesting.

Thanks Lovetoread, I'm pleased your recovery went well too.
For me Knowledge is Power so I think I had prepared myself before surgery and I always find that if you remain realistic it helps.
I was also aware of the potential risks of surgery, but because I had confidence in the team who would be doing the procedure I knew that everything they did was geared towards my having a successful operation and as uneventful recovery as possible.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Helpmyknee21
Recent bookmarks