Guest viewing is limited

February 20, 2017

Also Margaret Shepherds Learn Calligraphy is another great book for the different scripts/fonts :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Sam,
Hope all is well with you. Just read your posts on Calligraphy and Lamy pens. Love practicing it and used to have a Lamy, but no idea where it is now! You have inspired me to dig it out and have another go! Off to hospital tomorrow for 6 wk check up so will let you know how I get on,
Diane x
 
Hi Sam,
Hope all is well with you. Just read your posts on Calligraphy and Lamy pens. Love practicing it and used to have a Lamy, but no idea where it is now! You have inspired me to dig it out and have another go! Off to hospital tomorrow for 6 wk check up so will let you know how I get on,
Diane x

Hi @Delphi was thinking your 6 week check up must be coming up! Hope it goes well and really look forward to your update!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sam,
Just read your thread as you seem a positive sort. I'm a week out and mostly good but had a bad time last night. Seeing you here and on mine and other's threads has been helpful. You are a couple of months ahead of my adventure and so a very good guide. I draw with a Lamy Safari and had one taken by one of the kids I work with - grrr. A friend from home, Halifax, met me in Newfoundland where I flew for durgery and brought me a new one. It has a converter but I haven't filled it yet (gosh, I don’t know why)but am looking forward to using it. I have taken many drawing courses on Sketchbook Skool and have one starting on Monday. Five weeks - perfect!
 
Hey @sammylou99.
Did I read on a post somewhere that you are out cycling again.
Can't beat the wind blowing in your hair eh ?
Delighted your improving.
Update ???
Joe........
 
Hi Sam,
Well done you, back on your bike again! It must have felt absolutely brilliant. You know that you're on the road to freedom now, don't you?!
Have a great trip to Tuscany,
Diane xx
 
Hi all, thank you @Irish Joe and @Delphi - ok an update!!! I am now at 11 weeks post LTHR posterior and I have noticed a lot of improvement over the past couple of weeks both in my range of movement and in my mood!! I will be honest that between 8 weeks and now I had moments of feeling frustrated. I think I just thought that at my 6 week sign off I would be rating to go again lol!! Actually what has happened is a gradual improvement that has crept up on me. The op leg was so weak, mainly from limping on it pre op for so long. I have been working very hard (and carefully) with my physio to build up strength in that leg. Small movements, a balance ball and a weekly massage (though I wouldn't really call it that!) to pummel the hard tissue in my bottom and loosen everything up a bit. I have realised this week that I am much more limber and can do much more. Walking the dog for an hour a day, sleeping on the op side with no pain, carrying heavy things (logs, shopping etc). Also, the left leg which turned in a lot because of the state of my hip and pre-existing hip dysplasia is now straight and I am walking better and straighter than I have ever done! I have also been doing some stationery cycling - building up time slowly - am now at20 minutes, with bursts favouring the left leg. And yesterday got on my beloved mountain bike and did a short bike ride - a little wobbly at first (it's been a long time!) but once I got going I was fine!
I think it's important for those behind me to remember to go at your own pace. I have learnt to really listen to my hip. If it feels sore I stop, or cut back the exercise. I am working out my limits and each week I can do more.
Off toTuscany this week to Montepulciano and am so excited to get away and have a change of scene! Lots of walking so taking a fold up stick just in case but will stop often for delicious coffee or a glass of vino!! Hubby and my favourite place so will be good for us both to go and have fun.
Thanks for the messages, this forum has helped me so much! Great community of lovely people.
@labanan I'm sorry I missed your message above from ages ago! Love my Lamy pens and Calligraphy kept me sane during my recovery!! Will be taking my pens to sketch away in Italy! Hope your recovery continues to go well.
Take care hippies,
Sam xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Such a lovely update and a timely reminder for me on patience for this decidedly unstraight path to health and movement.
I'm on the mend for sure but I have the odd bad night, last night being a stinker, when I get frustrated. What strikes me the most is that this is two recoveries - one is from the surgery, a really big deal (there were hammers and saws inside me!) and the other is the much more important subtle and profound recovery from what may have been years of pain and constraint of freedom. So thanks for giving us a picture of you engaging in those beloved activities with delight!

As for my sketching habit - thank Buddha for that in my life. I have a lovely little studio on my bed. Sketching everywhere I go has made it easy to sketch here.
 
Sam - excellent update and so good to hear it is going in the right direction. It can be frustrating when it feels like recovery is stalling. I totally agree with listening to your body. Exercise and strengthening is the key bit only at a pace that suits the individual and rest when you need to. Enjoy Tuscany! Xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Little update as I have just returned from six days in Tuscany and this was New Hip's first trip abroad [emoji23] (did get a pat down at the airport, as expected! They were not interested in my joint card)
All went amazingly well. I was really worried before we went that I wouldn't be able to keep up with everyone or do all the walking but I spent every day walking around very steep hill towns with a break for lunch and wine(!) and the new hip was fantastic. Maybe a tiny ache by the end of the day but considering how much walking we did (6-10 miles per day of hills!) it was remarkable. No meds needed even though I went armed with them in case!The only bit that was a little uncomfortable was sitting in the car for the journey to Tuscany from Rome and back but once I'd walked a bit it was fine. Should have stopped a bit more to stretch my legs.
So, to anyone who is earlier in recovery (I'm 12 weeks now) there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I would not have been able to do this trip pre-op and most of the time I forgot it had even been done. Slow and steady wins the race and this has been proof of that.
Feel like a new woman!!
Hope everyone's doing well with their recoveries.
How are you doing @Delphi @Irish Joe @Labnan and @ponymad
Sam xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Sam,
How brilliant to hear how well you did! I can't believe that you walked 6-10 miles each day and uphill! That sounds unreal! Were you in a walking group? Really delighted for you that it all went so well and so painlessly. Which towns did you visit?
I am still plugging away, getting there bit by bit, but light years away from your achievements! Never mind, one day....!!!
Diane xx
 
Hi Sam,
How brilliant to hear how well you did! I can't believe that you walked 6-10 miles each day and uphill! That sounds unreal! Were you in a walking group? Really delighted for you that it all went so well and so painlessly. Which towns did you visit?
I am still plugging away, getting there bit by bit, but light years away from your achievements! Never mind, one day....!!!
Diane xx

Hi Diane,
@Delphi
I can't quite believe it either. Was completely prepared to stop at lunchtime if it was sore but it coped incredibly well. We did stop for lunch every day so had a rest then. We were with 18 American friends who we get together with in Tuscany from time to time / mutual love of the Val D'Orcia and Italian food and wine!! It was a bit like herding cats with a group that big but we had a lot of fun!
Stayed just outside Monticchiello, went to Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Orvieto, San Giminiano, Saturnia and a few other tiny ones. It was very beautiful with sunny days and cool nights. The thermal baths were great for the hip!!
Car journies were hard, my hip does not like sitting for long periods so had to stop a lot and stretch my legs.
Hope you're doing well? Have you been swimming? I am still finding swimming hard but do like being in the water!
Been enjoying the garden today. Planted a few shrubs now that the earth has had a soaking from the rain - it was bone dry until now!
Take care!
Sam xxx


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@sammylou99 glad you enjoyed your trip, love Italy (the food!) and those thermal bathes sound divine :)

It's fun when you find that your new hips actually *do* work. By habit, when I try something new, I'm always sort of waiting for the pain spike and am thrilled when it never comes!
 
Hi Sam,
Sounds like an absolutely wonderful trip and great fun! Last time we went , we stayed in Montepulciano but visited Siena and San Giminiano - all stunning places. Can't believe your stamina, you must be thrilled to have reached this level of recovery! Definitely something to aspire to...Also lovely to have a great group of friends to share the experience with. How did you all meet?
Not been swimming since we were in ANglesey but going back this week so will try again then.
Forecast is great for the Bank Holiday so hopefully should have a good week!
Enjoy your pottering in the garden,
Diane xx
 
Hi Sam,
Oh how heavenly your trip sounds! I was quite interested to read about it as I'll be at 11 weeks post op for our trip. Little nervous about the car trip part as we'll be driving almost three thousand kilometres in all before I take a plane home but we'll stop lots. I'm impressed with the amount of walking you did- I'm a mad walker so can't wait.

And gardening! Tonnes of fun.

My recovery seems good. Have my xray and see a gp this week. No follow-up with surgeon as he is too far away.

Later,
Jan
 
:wave:How about a 2 year update?
You were a few months ahead of me, so I followed your journey!
Hope all is well with you!
 
Back
Top Bottom