Guest viewing is limited

February 20, 2017

Thank you @Jaycey will continue resting it and hope it's less sore tomorrow!!!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sam,
What on earth was it about yesterday? So sorry to hear that you too have had a setback. It must have been so frightening. You go through all of the worry pre op, then the stress of the op itself and think it should all start getting better now. You did the right thing to rest up and ice. Hopefully by tomorrow it may have settled down. If it is still sore, I think I would get it checked out, just to put your mind at rest.
Thinking of you and sending you healing hugs!
Diane xxx
 
Hi Sam, sorry to hear about your slip... hope you feel better after a bit of rest.
Sounds like everything else is going ok though from your other updates? Look forward to hearing what they say/what's involved at your 2 week check up.
Take care! X


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Little update - after a weekend of feet up and doing very little (so boring!!) my leg feels a little better today and I can put more weight on it. I think I have probably just bruised everything in there and have appointments tomorrow and Wednesday with physio and OS so will check. Was a big wake up call not to ignore the advice and restrictions at this stage and I will be going slowly from this point (literally!!!) will Update when have had the X-rays and follow ups. Thanks for all the support. Go slow fellow Feb hippies!!!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Morning Sam,
Good luck today with your appointment. Hope you are feeling better,
Diane xx
 
Thanks Diane! Am looking forward to seeing what he thinks. The physio yesterday thinks I did soft tissue damage on the weekend so will just make recovery a little slower but it is getting better every day and am back on one crutch. I couldn't do some of the exercises in the next phase she had for me but she said not to rush them and do them when it didn't hurt.

Hoping the dressing might come off today. She told me to massage my bottom where it feels like a bag of golf balls as it's just internal swelling. Will update when I've seen him! Oh and can sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs now but didn't dare to do it last night!! After @ponymad and her dislocation I am too nervous!! Maybe I will brace it tonight!!!!

How are you doing?? Hope it's all going well.
Sam xxx


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing ok I think. Still got a hip that Beyoncé would be proud of, and my scar is incredibly itchy, but bruising is pretty minimal. Have definitely seen improvement in my mobility, now managing to get leg in and out of bed much easier and walking better. Am on 2 crutches for 6 wks anyway, but feel I need both for stability. The district nurse is coming tomorrow to take out my staples, which I am not looking forward to! All in all,I feel better than I thought I would, so can't complain.

The idea of sleeping on your side again is very appealing, but like you , I would be very scared to try it. I've actually not found the back sleeping as difficult as I thought. It's more difficult to get off to sleep, but once you have your nest of pillows supporting you, it's quite comfortable.

Hope today goes well. I do not have this 2 wk intermediate appt with physio/ doctor, only a 6 wk review with surgeon , so will be interested to hear what they say, and exercises they tell you to do. My only instructions were to rest lots and gradually increase walking every day. Seems they all have their own favourite routes, even within the same hospital, to the,hopefully, same conclusion.

Let us know how you get on,
Diane xxx
 
Ahaha @Delphi I too have a Beyoncé hip it's pretty spectacular but luckily the only place I had swelling!!

Just back from my two week check up and all is well!! He said I'm coming along nicely!!! The hiccup when I slipped on the stairs has done no serious damage just soft tissue so that's a relief. He told me that I should look at it as a wake up call not to try and get ahead of myself which it has done! I am cleared to drive as long as I feel comfortable to do so (automatic) but think might leave that til next week.

He said my right hip looking good for now and should have a good few years before needing to do that one - phew!!! Restrictions still in place for 90 degrees but side sleeping with pillow allowed :) see him again in 6 weeks. I talked to him about the tiredness after doing things and he said that is completely normal and to go with what my body tells me. He said the surgery takes a lot out of you and that all the energy is going to heal the hip. He thought I would feel a lot more energetic by our 6 week check up.

And my dressing came off! Looks good. Can pick off the steri strips in the shower but he's very happy with it. All in all it was a good appointment so onward with the healing and physio!

Hope everyone doing well with their recoveries.
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Excellent news Sam!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's sounds like all of you are progressing well...thanks for continuing to post here. I'm waiting for a phone call back from my OS office to see if they have word on the x ray machine being fixed or not. Patience is the name of the game..
 
I am so sorry you got delayed as that is really tough when you have prepared yourself. Make sure you really look after yourself in this run up and I hope they give you a date really soon.
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a great result, Sam. I bet that has given you a lot of reassurance after your mishap. Seems incredibly early to be driving again, but if you have the go ahead, I guess it comes down to confidence and the type of car you have. I think I would definitely struggle to get into mine for quite a while, as it is low.
Hope your recovery continues apace. At this rate, you'll be back to your best in double quick time!!
Diane xx
 
@sammylou99 I just got off the phone with OS. They are planning on next Monday for me. March 13th. They will call me back by the end of the day to verify for sure. Aww the sun just popped out. Life is good. [emoji295]️



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Awww I'm so envious of you getting the ok for driving and side sleeping @sammylou99 Sam!!!!!
Great news for you though, and really pleased for you!

I also got the advice to massage the harder areas around my incision... to be honest I didn't notice them until the physio pointed it out!

Here's to you for an exciting next step for you getting out and about [emoji16] !

Take care x


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's fantastic news, Cherdonnay - not too long a wait now. I laughed with my surgeon that a Monday was a good day for the operation as he'd had a relaxing weekend!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Three week update! All going well and soft tissue damage from fall seems to be easing up a lot now. Am pottering around the house on no crutches unless leg is tired and am walking twice a day total of about 3,500 steps and am really enjoying getting out of the house in the spring weather!

Night sleeping getting better as only up once to pee now so huge difference and sleeping for about 6/7 hours. Still on back. Have tried on non op side with pillow but hip aches too much so leaving that for now.

Been shopping a few times which is a huge excitement lol!! Who would have guessed the supermarket could be so exciting!!

Was cleared to drive last week when I feel ready (automatic) and have been practicing getting in and out for a week. Plan to go for short drive today / again huge excitement!!

Dressing off my scar for a week. It's still very sensitive and am struggling having it rubbing against clothes. (5" internal stitches). It's closed up completely in places and very slightly separated at the top in others but not bleeding or leaking. Just hyper sensitive and a bit sore. Have resorted to a lint dressing and micropore in the day to protect from clothes. Wonder if this will set back healing? I leave it open to the air at night. Have been rubbing it along the scar as per physio instructions to desensitise it. When should I expect it not to hurt/be so sensitive roughly.

Anyway that's my update for now. Hope everyone doing well.
Sam :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
am walking twice a day total of about 3,500 steps
For pity's sake, put that Fitbit out of the way - somewhere where you cannot find it! You shouldn't be 'marching to a tune' at only three weeks! Did you not read this Activity progression for THRs from your recovery articles?
Been shopping a few times
Shouldn't BE going shopping at three weeks!
It's closed up completely in places and very slightly separated at the top in others but not bleeding or leaking. Have resorted to a lint dressing and micropore in the day to protect from clothes. Wonder if this will set back healing?
It won't but being exposed to the air is the very best way to get it to settle down.
When should I expect it not to hurt/be so sensitive roughly.
Anyone who can answer that deserves a Nobel Prize for seeing into the future! Could be a couple of weeks, could be a couple of months - who knows!



And I also ask you not to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course!
Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)
 
Hi Sam,

Good to hear from you! What great news! It sounds as though you are doing really well, certainly a lot further on than I would have expected at 3 wks out. Sorry your scar is still irritating you , although when you think of the amount of healing that has taken place in such a short time, it's nothing less than miraculous even for it to have reached this stage!

Where are you off out to today? I expected to start getting a bit of cabin fever by now, but funnily enough, I have been quite content with my daily routine and little forays out so far. That said, I've started doing some serious holiday research for a bit further down the line! I didn't want to book anything pre op, as I wasn't sure how I would feel. I've had membership of the RHS for the last few years, but could hardly use it last year, so now enjoying also looking at the various garden festivals that we might now be able to visit a bit later on. I love festivals of all descriptions, music, food and drink, country etc , so hoping that this Summer we can get out and about to some of them...! Also started doing part of the Anglesey Coastal Path walk which was curtailed by my hip, so aiming to try to do a bit more of that when I feel up to it.

Lots of good things on the horizon for us all to look forward to, hopefully.
Take care of yourself and enjoy your jaunt today,
Diane xxx
 
Ah thanks @Diane! I only drove around the block to get used to it again but it was fine. Not planning any big trips just yet!!
Great idea to do a bit of holiday planning, might do the same!! RHS membership is a lovely thing to have. Just think we will be much more mobile and energetic for the summer - such a good thought!! How are you feeling? Getting some good sleep now?
I am feeling a little cabin-feverish but am aware not to overdo it.
Thank you @Irish Joe and @Josephine for your comments. Point taken!
Sam


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom