TKR Falcon6210 in recovery

my question is should I be able to walk further at this stage? I don’t feel like I am doing enough - the pain is getting better and I am sleeping a bit better
Like @MSuki I was just like this at approximately 2 months post op also. You are doing fine, and doing enough. Remember, you are still recovering from a major surgery that caused a lot of trauma to your whole leg. Healing takes time.

 
Thanks so much Jocette for getting back to me - I was a bit worried as I read others that seem to be walking a lot more but the swelling is still an issue for me - I do feel like I am turning a corner so i won’t worry anymore
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Falcon!
Wishing you complete and perfect healing in the New Year.
Many blessings to you!
@Falcon6210
 
Hi Layla thank you so much - I just had a query regarding swelling - my knee although it feels a lot better than it did - my knee is still a swollen as soon after surgery it does not seem to be going down at all and I feel like I am carrying a brick around with me - I bumped into a lady that had a knee replacement a few years ago and she said she thought it was abnormal at 3 months - my bend is 120 and my surgeon at 12 weeks said all looked good - do many have this lingering swelling? Thank you in advance regards Jill
 
You might want to look at your activity and see if you are doing too much. I am just at 12 weeks and still use ice a few times a day. I get some swelling if I do a lot. Some people are hairtrigger on this - go over the invisible line of too much and they swell and have pain. Is it swollen all the time or just later in the day?
 
I still had swelling, after increased activity, for at least 9 months. I learned to ice and elevate after an extra-busy day to help minimize the swelling. I don't think it's unusual to have swelling for quite a while.

Your knee is only 1/4 of the way through the normal timeframe of healing, so swelling isn't anything to worry about unless it is accompanied with redness and a lot of increased pain that can't be explained by increased activities. You can try increasing your icing and elevating to see if that helps.
 
Thank you Both for your replies - my swelling is there all the time not just when I exercise it looks like a Christmas ham - I don’t think it has gone down since I had the surgery I just hoped at 3 months it would - the surgeon didn’t seem concerned - I am walking about 20-25 mins a day with the dog and doing activities of daily living I don’t think I am doing too much
 
Hi Jill,
My OS once mentioned that there can be swelling up to a full year
post op, usually easing over time. So I wouldn’t consider it abnormal at this point of your recovery. It’s certainly not too late to ice and elevate either, if you’re not already.

It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there. Elevation will help with this.

BoneSmart FA, CricketHip, is involved in Therapeutic Massage and has shared this exercise to assist in manual lymph drainage. This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion - you may want to give it a try and tag her if you have any questions. She’s very helpful.

While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

Hope this helps. :fingersx:
@Falcon6210
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom