THR FAI + 2 scopes = THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
broken link removed: https://dorrhipnav.com/pdf/hip-05sugicalreleaseiliopsoas.pdf
broken link removed: https://dorrhipnav.com/pdf/hip-05sugicalreleaseiliopsoas.pdf
 
@Josephine Now that I'm reading more about this psoas rubbing against my capsule I'm wondering if this is due to an error in the placement of the hardware? The surgeon has taken xrays as recently as 2 months ago and I believe he was looking at placement among other things, he didn't mention concern about there being too much of an overhang....but would he say anything even if I was in his office complaining of hip flexor pain?
 
Well I would hope he would! But it's not the only nor the most common reason, to be sure. The most common reason for this structure to get irritated is overuse in the form of exercises, abduction exercises such as clam shells and sidewards walking and the like.
 
@aprilc what in the world are you doing? Still pushing the envelope? I had a little pain in the left hip on Monday, so I jumped on here to see how all are doing. My hip probably hurts from doing way too much lately, you think! LOL! Wishing you the best...
 
@aprilc what in the world are you doing? Still pushing the envelope? I had a little pain in the left hip on Monday, so I jumped on here to see how all are doing. My hip probably hurts from doing way too much lately, you think! LOL! Wishing you the best...

Ha! You know me waaay too well @waterman1 !! I just hopped on here today to see what the limits are for jumping. Been doing some box jumps and double unders (jump roping) for short periods of time during workouts - (Yes I'm doing Crossfit sssshhhhh don't tell anyone!). But in reality, I've taken it very carefully with Crossfit and it's actually really making my glutes and everything else really strong again! I have muscle once again!! But i have in the past couple of days done a lot of jumping with the box jumps and double unders - only like a few minutes of each one each day but I'm a bit achy now. Guess I should listen to it - as should you! I've been seeing an Active Release Therapist and she's been helping me out a lot!
 
@aprilc Ha, I knew it. Yea, I have been lurking on here a little bit, thinking of you of course. I have been building pole barns, riding ATV's, offshore fishing, hitting a little tennis, tripped and fell a couple of times nothing real extraordinary here, just living life and having fun. Hoping the same for you, thanks for the reply. Please be careful...
 
Haven't been on here in awhile but have bad news. Maybe some of my old friends will see this.

I've been having ongoing psoas issues since I started getting active again. I've tried Active Release Therapy, of course physical therapy, chiropractic adjustments and ultrasound guided cortisone shots. The first shot made a big difference in that my ROM increased from barely being able to lift my leg off the floor to being able to get it to just under 90% but no higher. I'm still lifting my leg to get it in the car and putting on pants is really hard, have to hold the leg hole very close to the floor. FYI I'm 9 months post op.

So the ultrasound guy said my psoas was rubbing on my socket hardware and he was hoping that the shot would decrease the inflammation enough that it wouldn't rub but that hasn't worked. Today I heard that, indeed my socket hardware is just a wee too big. So now I guess I head onto a psoas release. I"m sooooo bummed!! I've had very little input from my surgeon. I saw the ultrasound doc twice, I asked if the socket was too big he just kind of hummed and hawed. It was actually a friend that went to the same surgeon today who is also in need of hip replacement who asked about my situation and asked if it was a missized socket and the doc said it was and that I'm the first one that's ever happened to. But the surgeon has never said anything to me...I had to reach out to his nurse to ask if I should make an appt with him or the scope surgeon to look at my psoas. And she just said, "sure you can make an appointment". If it didn't cost $70 to go see him I would go see the surgeon just to hear from him what exactly is going on!

So my questions are (help @Josephine )
1. Have you heard of them shaving the rim of the socket down? Is that a thing? Maybe that's more invasive than a psoas release?
1. I've heard mention from time to time on various websites that one never really gets their strength back in their hip flexors after this surgery. Is that true? Should I expect with some work to be back to normal strength in due time?

2. Is it within reason for me to ask the doctor who's doing the scope that this be covered by the hospital since they screwed it up? It seems unfair that I have to pay for a surgery that is due to their mistake. I don't want to nor am I going to sue I just really don't want to have to pay for this surgery. (not the hip replacement surgeon who put in the wrong sized piece but same hospital-Duke) .

3. I would love to hear from anyone who has gone through the same thing....

I'm trying not to wallow in my exasperation but I'm beyond bummed. I was starting to get stronger, getting more muscle, seeing results (even though there's a lot I can't do b/c of my psoas) and to think I have to START ALL OVER AGAIN makes me want to punch a wall or just give up and lay on the couch eating chocolate and drinking wine for the rest of my life!
 
just give up and lay on the couch eating chocolate and drinking wine for the rest of my life!


Can't give you any answers except I am sure many of us would agree with this approach. I hope you get replies that help you so that you do not have to give in to a decadent way of life!!
 
Hi April, nice to see you again but sad to hear of your problem.
Today I heard that, indeed my socket hardware is just a wee too big.
Curious if your surgeon won't discuss it with you - where did you hear this from?
1. Have you heard of them shaving the rim of the socket down? Is that a thing? Maybe that's more invasive than a psoas release?
Nooo! These implants are made very carefully to have perfectly smooth surfaces so no debris will be shed. They can't even be even used if there is a tiny scratch on them anywhere so even if it were technically possible, shaving it is a definite no-no!
1. I've heard mention from time to time on various websites that one never really gets their strength back in their hip flexors after this surgery. Is that true? Should I expect with some work to be back to normal strength in due time?
Not true that I've ever heard of. Not in the 'never' sense, anyway. You should read some of these Stories of amazing hip recoveries.
2. Is it within reason for me to ask the doctor who's doing the scope that this be covered by the hospital since they screwed it up? It seems unfair that I have to pay for a surgery that is due to their mistake. I don't want to nor am I going to sue I just really don't want to have to pay for this surgery. (not the hip replacement surgeon who put in the wrong sized piece but same hospital-Duke) .
Judging the size and placement of an implant is not an exact science and therefore is specifically liable to variations. But I suppose if the US system allows you to do that, then go for it. It can't hurt to ask but I would suspect that the surgeons might not be that forthcoming on it. However, if the problem really is a malaligned cup, then the answer to that is not a psoas release but a new cup.
 
@aprilc Hello, I Hope you get better. And no, the added sugar fix is temporary and lying around will make you soft as a marsh mellow. Get that surgeon to check you out then proceed.
 
@aprilc Girl, Crossfit ? Some things are pretty brutal but then you add your kickbutt attitude that you have been showing since one day before me. Please give your body a break.
 
So sorry to hear about your situation. It seems to me that you really need to get in to discuss this with your surgeon so you can find out all the details regarding your hip. Depending on how he reacts, you might want to seek a second opinion from a revision surgeon who is completely independent of your original doctor. You may have to drive a bit to find someone who specializes in problem cases and revisions and is not a pal of your doc (works at the same hospital, golfs together, etc.). I wouldn't agree to any procedure until you are 100% sure that the problem is correctly identified. As Jo said, if the cup is improperly aligned (and that does happen sometimes), it will need to be replaced. While this is another surgical procedure, it shouldn't be the same as "starting over" for you if that's what needs to happen.

Of course you can always propose that you receive some compensation for the "mistake" if one can be identified. But, I would be surprised if anyone offers to do that without attorney involvement. Right or wrong, it just doesn't usually work that way. I understand and agree with your decision not to file a lawsuit. It can be messy and take a long time. The stress can be very great. In the end, sometimes it's best to just get things fixed and move on.

Please let me know if you need help finding a revision surgeon in your area. I'll need your zip code, but I can do some looking for you.
 
I've been reading more and it does sound like I may need a new cup and tenotomy. I do plan to look around, I just emailed my surgeons nurse.. Asking if I should see the thr surgeon or the scope surgeon? Again, hate to spend copay fee to have a conversation with my doc but it may come to that. The communication is horrible, it was great right after surgery but now that I've entered "not normal result land", it's much harder to get info.

@Josephine heard about MY hip from a co-worker who had an appt to discuss hip replacement with my surgeon. He knew I was having problems so he asked the doc directly what was up with my hip to e if it says something the surgeon did and the doc told him. Even though this is against HIPPA I don't really care, what blows me away is that he hasn't called me to come in and discuss next step. I'm calling his nurse asking for pain killers bc I'm at the point of not being able to deal with the pain and I asked his nurse about making an appt with the scope Dr. So it's not like he doesn't know I'm not doing well. I have am appt 5/5 with the scope hip surgeon. I'll keep everyone posted. @Jamie 27516. I live near Duke and UNC chapel hill.

@Michegon crossfit had actually been great for new. I've been going to the beginner classes and my gym is very low key, I have given up on comparing with others. I've been taking it slow and easy and not doing the things that hurt. Lately that's been about anything that requires me to lift my leg! But I can squat :)

At
 
@aprilc I live near you (27703). I'm real happy with my OS, he did both of my hips. Let me know if you want details. Don't know if he does revisions but maybe he knows someone.
 
Just one more thing related to hip flexors. My left hip was replaced in 2012. The hip flexors were very slow in coming back--3 weeks after surgery I couldn't lift my left foot more than 2". Then things got better, and after one year I was squatting and dead lifting like a champion, at least until my right hip got arthritic.
 
@aprilc OK, just checking in on you with over doing things. I hope the you don't have to have further surgery. Tell that Os to get in gear on follow up.
 
@Erushka I'm at about 10 months. I think there is some shutting down of my hip flexors happening bc no matter what strengthening things I do it still hurts and won't get stronger. Yes, please give me the name of your surgeon.
 
Asking if I should see the thr surgeon or the scope surgeon?
To be honest - neither! The scope chap is most likely and 'enthusiast' for scoping and your hipe surgeon has already shown his complete lack of concern and empathy for your condition. Plus since he put this hip in, I'd figure he had his chance to do a good job and fluffed it!
 
Spoke to the hip surgeon in the phone today FINALLY! Yes there's an overhang (he said it's small but from what I've read it doesn't need to be in inch!) He said he doesn't recommend a new socket piece because the hole is there and they can't put a smaller one in. If anything, he can put it a little deeper in my pelvis but didn't recommend such a big surgery. He said I should see hip scope doc to look at psoas release as well as debriding the scar tissue in the front.

@Josephine if I shouldn't see a hip scope doc who should I see?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom