Guest viewing is limited

THR Every Step Is a Destination

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope you're doing well and enjoying the progress you're making.
Have a great week! :wave:
@ClownMagnet
 
Thank you! At one month, all is well. Or almost all. I’m still struggling with iron deficiency anemia and will probably need IV supplements. I’m also scheduled for a B12 injection. The anemia has left me with deep fatigue and extremely low energy which is hindering my recovery. I still need to use the walker. It’s not exactly pain, but something in my right hip sends me a loud & clear signal that it doesn’t want to bear full weight. I saw the OS on Friday and he told me it was definitely best to keep using the walker.

It’s not surprising since I spent two years before surgery being very sedentary due to intense pain, and have needed a cane to walk at all for the past year. So I’m having to rebuild everything from scratch. Also the AVN in my hip was just one of many issues: I also have severe scoliosis and just about every disc and vertebra in my spine has multiple problems. An MRI showed that the scoliosis has caused many of the muscles that support my spine to atrophy so just standing up straight is an exhausting ordeal. I really have my rehab work cut out for me.

On the bright side, my life is so much better now without the constant chronic pain. For the first time in 2 years I can sleep for 8 hours without being woken up every two hours by excruciating pains shooting down my leg. I can put on my socks without the sock aid device, and I can even trim my toenails! Quality of life for the win.

All in all, I’ve had a good experience. I’ve had almost no pain, I stopped taking the Tylex after 2 days. I’ve had almost no swelling, never needed to ice or wear compression socks, and very little bruising. My incision has healed cleanly with no problems. I’m not sure whether to credit the direct lateral approach, the skill of my (very cute) surgeon (whose ears stick straight out, making him look a little bit like my childhood hero Alfred E Neuman), the robust resiliency of my own indomitable body, or just pure random luck. Most likely a miraculous combination.

So, onward to month two! Looking forward to more and more progress, no matter how small it seems at the time.
 
Hello again CM :wave:
Overall it sounds like you're doing well, especially considering the shape you were in pre-op. You'll get there, slowly but surely!

Alfred E Neuman :rotfl: forgot all about him, lol.
Have a great week and thank you for the update!
@ClownMagnet
 
I'm glad you'll get the iron and B-12 properly as it's often difficult to get a therapeutic response from oral supplements as we age.

If my surgeon made me think "what, me worry?" I'm not sure if I would find it reassuring or frightening!!!
 
Fantastic update.
Am so happy to hear that you are pain free and able to sleep. That was a game changer for me as I couldn't sleep without pain meds prior to my surgery.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
It's been a month since we've heard from you. Hopefully all is going well and you're enjoying life with your new hip. Let us know how you're doing next time you're around.
Take care and have a great week!
@ClownMagnet
 
Thanks! My new hip was two months old yesterday and we (the hip and I) had quite the celebration (though it was a little awkward trying to keep its party hat from constantly slipping off…any tips for that?).

I’m still having weekly B12 injections, and while my red blood cell numbers are still low they have been improving steadily, and I have considerably more energy and ambition.

I still can’t bear full weight on my operated leg, though I have switched from a walker to a cane. I saw the orthopedic surgeon on Friday and he said that’s not surprising: because of the AVN bone death, my bad leg had become significantly shorter over time. Now that the surgery has corrected the leg length discrepancy, the muscle structures that support the new hip have to play catch up to accommodate the increased length and that can take time. He recommended a physical therapist and I’ll schedule an initial meeting soon. (First I went on eBay and ordered some colorful cotton t-shirts with variations of Monty Python’s Ministry of Silly Walks on the front. If the PT doesn’t share my sense of humor I may need to try someone else.)

IMG_5012.webp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the great soft tissue reset affects almost all of us, and yes (good) PT is helpful to get tendons and ligaments readjusted to our new structure.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope you're pleased with the progress you're making.
Let us know when you have a minute.
Take care!
@ClownMagnet
 
Thank you! Life is good. I still use a cane outdoors (we live on a steep mountain in Costa Rica, which is also a currently VERY active volcano :yikes: and the terrain is challenging) but I tend to forget to use it indoors. I still walk with a limp but it’s considerably less noticeable than it was one month ago. The soft tissue structures supporting my new hip are growing stronger every day.

I’m working with a physical therapist who has been really helpful so far. One of my biggest challenges is that muscles along my spine have atrophied, most likely due to nerve damage resulting from severe scoliosis. When lactic acid builds up in these weakened muscles the pain is severe.

I’m also still receiving weekly injections of B12 and taking oral iron supplements. This is keeping my red blood cell counts pretty close to normal, close enough that I no longer experience the profoundly debilitating fatigue of a few months ago.

All in all I’m very happy even though progress has been slow. Not a single day goes by that I don’t celebrate my pain free and blessedly silent (I HATED the crepitus that went along with the AVN) new hip!
 
What a lovely update. It's so inspiring to hear you express a positive, thankful and courageous approach to life. I'm really happy that you are celebrating a good life with a new hip :flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom