THR Elf1 Recovery Road

So glad you had a good weekend.
We were stationed in Ramstein for 5 years but actually were on the economy for almost 2 in small German town.
My first phrase I learned in German was
ich muss essen
so we can tell the children we were playing with we had to go.
Have a great week, @Elf1
 
Good Morning and a Happy Monday to you! :wave:
The weather you had for your party sounds perfect. :SUNsmile:
Good to hear you were able to celebrate your twin grandaughters birthdays also. Best news...you handled all the prep, the party and clean up without more than a little achiness which most of us of a certain age can relate to on a daily basis also. All in all, a great success it seems.
Have a wonderful day!
@Elf1
 
Glad the party went smoothly and well, and you got good weather, @Elf1. Sounds like a great weekend and hope you can take a well deserved break this week and just lounge about. Cheers!
 
Had a really great weekend, thanks everyone for checking in. One minor comment was made by a friend that ticked me off. Folks were helping bring dishes and stuff in towards the end and my one friend goes, wow, you really don't have a lot of counter space. I said I know, it's a small kitchen but it's usually just the two of us so not a real issue. She then proceeds to say can't you do something with this pile of magazines and mail, that might help? Would I prefer that stuff was elsewhere, yes, but it is what it is and that really wasn't a but worry of mine when getting ready for the party that wasn't in my kitchen! I'm probably letting it bother me too much but I would never say something like that to a friend, let alone one who's recovering from major surgery!

On a good note - I got a call this morning from the hospital where I had my surgery. It was the head of patient services the PT/OT. Spent a little over a half an hour on the phone with them going over my letter and me adding some comments on things. They apologized profusely and asked if they could read my letter at their staff meeting so the employees can actually hear what a patient felt. Told them to please feel free to share it. They are definitely going to look at things, talk to the employees involved and figure out how not to have this happen again. The good thing like they were saying is with the newer electronic records everything is recorded in real time and a lot of things I commented on were being backed up by their own records. They are both sending me their cards and encouraged me to reach out to them if I'm ever admitted there again and they hope that if I need to be admitted I won't let this incident sway me.

The OT/PT lead is taking over their joint camp as the person that was doing it had moved on. I said just a couple insights from me, don't make it death by PowerPoint! She said that this would be more interactive which I said would be great as the one I attended was a waste of time. Also that the PT that was in there that had 30 years experience was not impressive and seemed to be self serving, blowing his own horn. They also took note about my comment that if it hadn't been for this site explaining how to get in and out of a car, have a pillow if needed, etc that I would have been up a creek as the aide that brought me down in the wheel chair didn't know how to do anything but push the chair. A big light bulb went off for them when I brought this up and said that they need to start training aides as they aren't currently. Duh!

Also told them they might want to take a look at BS because without it I would have been totally lost with the lack of useful information/mis-information from discharge paperwork and surgeon's office. Sorry so long but wanted to let you know that we can make a difference if we speak up. :egypdance:
 
Good Morning and a Happy Wednesday to you!
It's good to hear you enjoyed the weekend, Elf. I'll bet a lot of time and effort went into prepping your home for the party and extending hospitality to those you love and hold dear. I'm happy for you that you felt it was a success.

Ugh....ignorant people. It would be tempting to say, Sorry I didn't tidy to your satisfaction....don't let it ruin your day, aside from you, everyone else seems to be having too much fun to even notice. Bahaha :heehee:
Like you, Elf, I would have taken the high road. But...maybe stuck my tongue out as she walked away. :wink:

Wonderful response from the hospital! it's great you took the time to spotlight all that went wrong. Hopefully it initiates change. It sounds hopeful and others may have a better experience all because you took the time to address issues.

On behalf of BoneSmart, thanks for recommending the site. Also thank you for your contributions here. You're much appreciated.
Hope you have a lovely day!
@Elf1
 
@Elf1 You did great with the follow up. You very well may have prevented others from having the bad experiences that you had.

Your friend. ugh. The end. Sorry she tried to rain on your day. :censored:
 
@Elf1 Whenever I run into idiots like that I think....at least I’m not married to them. :rotfl:

This exactly!! Lol. Next party, I’d loose her invitation. Yikes!

I am so glad the hospital took your feedback to heart. A bummer you had to be the trail blazer, but way to pay it forward for the next joint patient. Staffing varies so much at hospitals. I had two different local hospitals, one for profit, one not for profit. Later was far better staffed and it showed in patient care.
 
@Elf1 That must have been some letter you wrote! Good for you, for speaking up about the issues which made your immediate recovery such a horrible experience, when it did not need to be that way.
Some folks lack common sense and manners, regarding the “friend.” That comment is not how one friend supports another friend, IMHO.
 
I don't do filth, but I do clutter.
Doesn't bother me.:shrug:
My house, my clutter.
The only thing I can relate to with your friend is her lack of self control.
Things you think, things you don't say is my daily mantra ...doesn't always work:oyvey:
 
Great report, @Elf1 about how your thoughtful and detailed letter to the hospital generated follow-through on their part, and, I hope, some real changes that will benefit future patients. Good for you being willing to share your experiences with them, that clearly started the ball rolling and lots of folks will be the beneficiaries of your actions. Hurray for you! And, yes--heavy sigh--sometimes you really must shake your head at how dumb some folks can be, "open mouth, insert foot"! But other than rolling your eyes to the ceiling and feeling irritated for a few minutes, I think just blowing off those remarks was the way to go. I totally agree with @ceezee, you ain't married to that idiot! Happy Thursday!
 
Thanks for all the nice comments and reminding me not to sweat the small stuff. Not going to let someone bother me that only comes to my house twice a year when we have a parrty.

Actually felt like the ladies from the hospital really took my letter and additional comments to heart. I didn't feel like I was being paid lip service. I also gave them praise where praise was due so a few people are going to get recognized for their great care. And I let them know that pretty much all the sections I have dealt with all these years are very good at taking care of the patients and mentioned the names of some that go above and beyond. I said I wanted them to know that it's not the entire staff, they just seem to lack once someone is admitted.

Getting ready for our Sleep Number mattress to come tomorrow so was straightening up the bedroom, getting rid of the clothes rack, I mean walker! :heehee:

Climbed on top of the bed and decided to do a good dusting of the light bridge that's the top of our headboard. Wow, cat fur travels! My hubs came out of the shower and said well aren't you brave?! He started following me around as I was going from side to side to make sure I didn't face plant and then he helped me down. He knows what a klutz I am. And, didn't think it would be good to get down like I used to do. Usually just lift my legs up and drop to my butt like on a trampoline! :eyebrows:
 
It seems you balanced your grievances with the hospital with a generous amount of grattitude for all you appreciated. It makes your critique even more credible since it wasn't all negativity. its hard to imagine there won't be some changes made that will benefit future patients.

I hope you and hubs adjust quickly and end up loving the new Sleep Number bed that's coming tomorrow. Have a great evening!
@Elf1
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom