Guest viewing is limited

TKR Eight weeks post op extension issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news that you can ice and elevate at work!
 
Anyone have experience with workouts in the pool for improving extension?
I'm 8 weeks and two days out from surgery, flexion is great >125 but extension is about a 5. For the last few days I've been attempting to avoid anything that hurts. I tried a pool workout for three days in a row and they seem to be helping. I'm kicking 3x10 lengths of my condo pool that is about 15 yards long with stretching between sets. I'm thinking that the kicking motion might help break up some of the scar tissue that is preventing full extension. I have no increase in pain or swelling after this session.
 
So long as you're not hurting afterwards, I'd think there should be no problem and it might help.
 
Try this in the pool....in the deep end, use a pool noodle or float to keep your upper body afloat, and move your legs in a motion like you are cross country skiing, like a scissors action. This is a good way to stretch and is no impact.

I found the pool to be a really good way to increase my extension. It sounds like you are going in the right direction. Just don't overdo it.

Be well,

Dawn
 
Surgery date 5/12/14 I'm feeling much better since my first post. Almost no pain medication, swelling significantly reduced, walking more comfortably. My extension is still about a 4-5 degrees. I'm not real good about sitting with my knee extended fully extended and considering buying a used knee brace that keeps it extended. I would use it while watching TV etc. Has anyone else tried using a brace to improve extension?
 
Surgery 5/12, 17 weeks out I've declared myself healed :) !! Walking up and down steps without holding on which I haven't been able to do for at least 10 years. Riding my bicycle stronger than before the first replacement last December.

I do have a question: extension in the knee done in May is still not 100%. It does not seem to impact my gait or cycling? Should I be concerned?

Thanks to everyone associated with Bone Smart you were all a big help.
 
@krbrx I have seen on different threads that ROM will improve up to a year or more after TKR.
 
Personally, from what you have shared, and what I have read and learned from my OS and PT, you are doing great!! I am six weeks post op and my flex walking into PT "cold" (and after a thirty minute car ride), is 105. Up until last week, the PT was able to slide his fist under my "straightened" knee when I arrived, but after PT, could only slide his flattened hand under with some resistance. (I cannot remember the numbers!). For extension, which is my biggest concern, he only recommends stretching exercises and concentration on walking with heel to toe. I do hang off the bed from mid thigh several times a day (face down) to work on the extension. It is helping, and recovering more quickly each day. At PT he does some very gentle pushing on the knee after lots of stretching and warming up. There is no pain, and he eases off at the first sign of discomfort. According to my PT and OS, current research shows it is easily 6 to 8 months to regain extension. The PT was excited this morning because the upper calf and lower thigh are now touching the table when I extend my leg. This was before the session began. It is only right behind the knee that still needs some time and work.

Bear in mind that I had a partial replacement, and therefor all the cruciate ligaments are intact and the normal neurologic pathways that are often interrupted with total knee replacement were spared. This may allow me to rebound a little faster than someone with a TKR, but who knows?!?!?

Hang in there! I hope you soon find yourself with full extension and walking pain free!
 
I do have a question: extension in the knee done in May is still not 100%. It does not seem to impact my gait or cycling? Should I be concerned?
To answer this question, you really do need to tell me what your extension is. Just saying it's "100%" without that doesn't really give me anything to go on.

Well done on the other knee though. Isn't it great when it all comes together like that?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom