THR Early Christmas Present - New Right Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Mamababs and @gardengal. I am able to shuffle around this morning but really can't engage the hip flexor muscles - too painful. I was really fearing the worst last night; at least I am ambulatory this morning. My doll of a wife brought me some ice cream and candy last night in bed to up my spirits- it worked! So lucky to have her by my side.

I spoke to the PT this morning and he confirmed that I likely pulled some of the hip flexor muscles. He wants me to ice it a lot over the next 24-36 hours and take it easy; I see him again on Friday. Hopefully we do some light soft tissue massage/manipulation. My Rx for the next few days: chill out!

Still waiting for the post-surgical nurse to return my call and give me some care instructions.

I'm just glad there's nothing wrong with the hip joint itself, which feels totally fine.
 
Day 30 status

Injury update: Last week's muscle tear was diagnosed by my PT as the rectus femoris where it attaches to the hip. Lots of rest, NSAIDs and a week has given me more mobility (I can raise my knee about 4 inches now without much pain) and hope that this injury won't totally derail my recovery. I will still baby this muscle for a while; I don't want to feel that pain ever again!

Overall: The hip joint itself feels awesome: so stable- just rock solid. I love it. My hip flexion ROM is also coming along. I also love having two legs of equal length. It is surreal to look down at my right leg these days; sometimes it looks like someone else's- that's how accustomed I have been to waking up for almost 30 years with a short right leg.

Sleep: Sleeping has been pretty good lately, though last week I was having trouble falling asleep with some restless leg symptoms and what felt like restless arms (is that even a thing?).

Mobility: My gait is getting ever smoother, a good sign for sure. I have mostly abandoned the cane around the house though it's useful for later in the day when I'm tired.

Other exercise: I have been going to the gym on occasion to putt around and do some upper body work. It's nice to feel active and wake up with sore muscles.

Work: I am trekking into the city on Friday for work (this week I have been working remotely, probably too much to be honest). Maybe two days of commuting next week...a few more the week after...until I am finally back in the office full time. I am trying to hold off as long as I can given the hellish commute and long working hours. But there is a certain amount of pressure (mostly self-imposed) to get back in the swing of things at work.

Doc: I see the OS on Tuesday for my first follow-up appointment. Fingers crossed...
 
Hmmm the incident getting into bed did turn out to be a muscle tear, ouch! Sounds pretty serious, will your upcoming doctor visit be the first you talk to the OS about this ? I'd be disappointed to only be lifting my knee 4 inches at week 4, but I guess you just do as they advise and get back on track. Hopefully when you go for that appointment they give you good review even with the set back.

I've had a couple home PT visits both have been helpful. They tell me I'm doing good, but it's to be expected because 46 is younger than the normal hip replacement patient. I realize now that I've been kind of whipping through the exercises & need to slow down, focus more & try to hold some of them longer to get the maximum benefit.
Glad to read that the new hip feels secure & stable & that having normal leg length is feeling so good. Those have got to be pretty good things to be feeling after so long dealing with that aggravation.
 
7 weeks post-op update: I've been very busy lately with work and family life so it has been a while since my last update.

I saw the OS on the 5 week anniversary of surgery. Here are the takeaways from that visit:
  • He was not surprised that I ended up tearing a hip flexor muscle given the weakness and tightness in those muscles pre-op and having added 1" to the leg during surgery which resulted in lots of tension in those muscles even at resting length.
  • Restrictions have been relaxed although they warned me not to go from zero to 60 in a day.
  • Focus now is on figure 4 flexibility so they gave me some stretches to work on.
  • I was cleared for the exercise bike and elliptical trainer as long as there is no discomfort.
  • Next appointment is on the 9 week anniversary.
I returned to work full time a couple of weeks ago (although I had a few days in there when I was home with the kids and so didn't make the trip into the office). The commute isn't as horrible as I thought it would be although the walk across midtown NYC to my office takes longer than it used to! Also, by the end of the walk (it's about a mile) I end up a bit sore, particularly on the outside of the knee of my operated leg. I figure it's IT band-related and that as my op leg muscles continue to stretch out, those symptoms will go away. That's the biggest thing I've been dealing with lately: the tightness of muscles and tendons around the joint from the leg lengthening.

I have been leaving the cane at home for trips around town to do errands, go to church, etc. but I grab it for longer outings.

I did 15 minutes on the exercise bike the other day. It felt a little unusual at first but felt better as the muscles started to loosen up. I still believe I was rocking my hips to avoid the degree of flexion at the top of the pedal stroke. All the same, it felt great to be pedaling again. I expect to be out on the roads this spring once I'm able to develop more leg strength.

On the whole, the rate of progress has slowed (from my perspective). It was a big leap forward from 1 week to 3 weeks and then I had a set back (muscle tear). I haven't noticed a ton of progress from weeks 5 to now but it's there- it's just more subtle like being able to go down stairs in a normal fashion, use a normal toilet, put pants on without assistance, walk fairly normally without assistance, etc.

All the best to my fellow bionic humans!
 
It is great to read your progress report, I have this all ahead of me, I am quite fit and active and hopefully this will help my recovery. You seemed to be back in work quite soon, did you feel strong enough to go back to work at 4 weeks and could you do it without crutches or a cane. How many weeks before you were driving?

Best of luck with the rest of your recovery, I will be following closely. Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom