TKR Drug addiction question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, dear friends! Today I'm going to ask the question many of you were asking since your surgeries. But my case is different. I have avascular necrosis for at least 2 years and I taking Oxycontin on the daily basis. It is 50mg a day. I'm taking it for 2 years and I'm really very afraid of addiction. After my surgery I lowered the dosage because my pain from right knee has almost gone away. But my left knee is still at pain. I'm taking 40mg a day now. My question is how not to become addicted? And tell me everything you know about that. Thank you very much!!!
 
Or maybe not as bad as your first. My second THR was a much easier recovery. Weeks instead of months. Every TKR is different - even on the same person.
Oh, I hope so! But I'm more a pessimistic than optimistic. That helps sometimes but I'm always waiting for worst :heehee:
 
You'll know what to do and what not to do with your second TKR. That helps a lot.
I've had three knee replacements and each one seemed a little easier to recover from than the one before it.
 
You may have become physically dependent on the pain meds and will have to withdraw slowly with the help and guidance of a Dr. Addiction is that you constantly think about and crave your next dose, taking more than prescribed to achieve the "high", it starts interfering with your job, relationships, etc.
I have fibromyalgia and have been taking hydrocodone for 6 years. I do not take it every day and have never raised my dosage, so when I need it it works.
Generally people with chronic pain do not become addicted and abuse their meds. If I had to stop taking the hydrocodone I would not suffer physical withdrawal because I use it only a few times a week.
You definitely need your pain medication and when the time comes you can slowly lower your dosage to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Hope this helps you some.
 
I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I have a teenage son and as a mom I hate to see young people in distress or pain. I have no advise or words of wisdom- I just want to comment that you seem so eloquent (in multiple languages!) and poised for someone your age. I expect you have a very bright future. Please keep us posted on your progress!
 
As long as you have pain you need pain medications, the problems start when you start taking them for the way they make you feel.
Here is an interesting video about addiction, click on Myth or Medicine.
broken link removed: https://secondopinion-tv.org/episode/addiction-pain-medications
 
Welcome to BoneSmart! I merged your two recovery threads----it is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to quickly see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery---just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between multiple ones. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

These folks are so right. Please try not to worry about addiction. It should not be a problem for you since you are taking the medication for pain that is present now. It is possible for your body to develop a physical dependence on the drug, but that can be managed after your second surgery. At the point where you have less pain from your knees, you may find yourself just naturally increasing the time between doses of the medication. If not and you are ready to try a reduction, you should be fine as long as you do it gradually over 3-4 weeks. In fact, we have a schedule for getting off prescription pain medications that you can follow. It works for most people or you may need to make some adjustments (longer times at one or more levels) if needed. You'll be fine! Please read this article from our BoneSmart Library (tab at the top of the page).

Weaning Off Pain Medication

 
The suggested video is great. After my motorcycle wreck with numerous broken bones I had withdrawal symptoms. I was on morphine while in the hospital for 11 days. I was released on methadone. I don't care what they said methadone is the most hallucinagenic drugs I have ever had. I saw an angel dancing in the bushes on the way home from the hospital. But I wanted off the drugs as quickly as I could be. I tried to fast by switching trammadol. I then went back to 10/500 hydrocodone. Finally I went to trammadol. On 10/13/15 I broke the head of my fibula. The lateral collateral ligament and the bicep femoris tendon broke off the fibula according to my ortho. In the emergency room the doctor said "I'm going to xray your finger but I don't think your leg is broken because your not yelling and screaming." he xrayed the leg anyway. I knew my finger was okay. just like I knew my leg was broken. After seeing the xrays he repeatedly asked me about pain. I was fine. No meds. When it came time for discharge he wanted to give me percocets or something stronger than hydrocodone. We had a little talk and I went home with my favorite trammadol. Since my motorcycle accident I have had to take trammadol and flexiril as needed for pain and muscle spasms. I wait until I can't sleep any more before I take either. As my wife says I am in a pretty good amount of pain daily. I use the drugs to let me sleep. I work full time in fact I worked 21 12 hour shifts in 21 days. And I make do. Of course everyone that knows me can tell you how hard headed I am.

Okay that's a lot about me with no advice. Here is what I learned in those years. I take pain medicine for pain. I don't take it for feeling good and I am fully aware there is no pain free life. Only you can decide when you need pain medicine. Find a doctor who trusts you and will prescribe what you need. Learn your tolerance level. I can stand pain as long as I also can get restful sleep. When the pain interferes with sleep it begins a process that wears you down. It takes over your thoughts and occupies your life. That is when I take pain meds. The physical withdrawal was mild and I wondered what was happening. The doctor never mentioned it. It passed quickly. Take it as needed for pain and you will never be addicted.
 
@Misharost, welcome to Bonesmart. As people have said, there's a difference between taking pain medicines because you're in pain, and taking them to get high, stoned, whatever.

I hope your cancer is in remission. You've been through a lot already, so I hope you don't have to have cancer treatment while you're recovering from your knee replacements. Are you still in Israel, or have you returned home to the Russian Federation? A number of our members live in cold, snowy climates. So if you have any questions about recovery in a snowy, icy climate, I'm sure someone will answer them.
 
Ask your doctor about working on a schedule to cut down on the oxy (or transition to something not as strong) as your recovery continues. For sure don't quit all at once!!! A very bad idea -- you think you feel sick now?
Meanwhile, your Hebrew will continue to improve, and you'll be able to curse in three languages if you have that second knee replacement.
 
Glamg1979, thank you for your advice!Really i'm taking the same dosage every time and it isn't making me "high".First few months taking this pain meds was interesting,because of this weird feeling.But now it is just so boring or sometimes even depressing.This pills are making me soooo lazy,i'm fighting with this.I'm just dreaming to quit this oxycodone nightmare...
 
Hi there, been reading your posts, and I just want ed to say, that I had both of my knees done, my left last oct, and my right this past july! And with having them both done, I feel I have 2 strong knees! Going through it the second time isn't bad at all, and I seem to get through it even better!
 
As long as you have pain you need pain medications, the problems start when you start taking them for the way they make you feel.
Here is an interesting video about addiction, click on Myth or Medicine.
broken link removed: https://secondopinion-tv.org/episode/addiction-pain-medications
I've already watched this video and it is informative.Thank you!
 
Jamie, thank you for advice and i was thinking about starting a new thread or just write in this one)I will post everything here and ,when i will my second knee replaced-i will start a new thread)
 
jugornot, Your story is very interesting and your advice is helpful. When I was in hospital I was taking percocet and I just can't stand it! Oxycontin is ok and Percocet is not:rotfl: With all my health problems I can stand a lot of pain. I'm the lucky one in this case) Really a lot. My doctor is an oncologist and he prescribes me these pain meds. I've known him for a long time really. I can say we are a good friends. He is the best! And that is the problem,I'm afraid to lose his trust...
 
SarahJane, now I'm in Russia. But I'm visiting Israel more often than I stay in here :heehee: I like the snowy climate and there is no big difference for me in the recovery here or in Israel. Thank you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom