PKR Dragonflywoods 2 days post op PKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations. ! Keep up the great work. Ill be on the otherside soon ! Im jealous. I cant wait. Read the mantras . Be patient .
 
I've got Cabin Fever! I need a little field trip out of the house. The roads are so icy and filled with snow, most places are closed around here. I was hoping to go to PT today, but a no go again. My next PT appt is Friday, so hopefully the ice will melt tomorrow and I can get out. While I'm ready to get out, I know it's safer for me to stay home, so I don't take the chance of slipping.
 
It is so strange to think of North Carolina with snow.
 
Ice has been one of my biggest fears for years! We've only got a few feet of snow, but I live right on the coast (3 blocks from the ocean) so quite often snow storms will turn to freezing rain. Ick!
I am starting to get a bit bored. Trip to PT yesterday and again Friday. We are supposed to go out to dinner Friday night for a friend's birthday. I really hope I am up for it !

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Went to PT Friday and was amazed how easy it seemed, left there feeling great. We went and got some groceries, by the time I got home I was tired. Since the orthopedic/PT office was closed for 2 1/2 days this week, they opened up today for busy. So I went again for PT this morning. Today was a lot harder. I did my ROM from 78 to 95. And I am now able to lay my knee flat, so I'm pretty happy with that. I will go Monday to see my Dr, I guess to see how I am progressing and I am guessing he will look at my incision. My knee does feel slightly weird tonight. If my pajama pants rub over it, it feels more awake or nub, I'm not sure how to explain it. Will post on Monday how my appt goes. OH I am wondering if it hurts to get the staples out? I'm not sure if they will do that at 13 days post-op, but I am trying to prepare myself.
 
Congrats on your progress!!!! I had staples with both TKRS. It was not painful , for me anyway, when the were removed . It went quickly and the PT is very good at his job. You will do just fine!!
 
I was really nervous about the staple removal as well, but it honestly wasn't bad. 1 or 2 did sort of pinch a bit...but nothing major. You can do it!
I am 3 x a week for pt and still not lifting leg but I can lay it completely flat and my ROM was over 90 the other day.
I also got hooked up to a machine that beeped whenever I did quad sets. Weird but helpful to show me how I was doing.
It sounds like you are doing awesome!
I went grocery shopping today and needed a nap after getting home lol.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
You're making great progress!
 
I've been missing in action. With PT 3 times a week, doing an online college class and I started a classroom class last week, I have been exhausted. I went last Monday and saw my ortho Dr. They removed my staples and said everything looks good. I have the steri stripes on now. It's so nice to take a shower without plastic on my leg. LOL On the same day I asked PT if I still needed my walker, PT person looked at me like why I was asking that and said NO. Well I have had a few issues with this PT person already, so I asked to see another PT person at the practice. Of course when I went in the next time, they asked about my walker and then asked if I had a cane. So I got a cane that day. I don't need it all the time, but feel more comfortable when out or walking at a quicker pace. I have been doing well at PT and have noticed a difference, though it is sometimes painful.

I finished up my blood thinner shots today, YEAH!

I feel like I am doing pretty good at 3 weeks, though I seem to tire easily still. And then there is the thoughts I have every night when going to bed... when i wake up in the morning, I will have to start all over again with stretching, bending and straightening. I'm just ready to be driving, moving around like normal. My husband and I were just talking about this last night. Will I be stiff every morning for the rest of my life or will this get better in time? Hubby wonders if I will limp forever? I don't really feel myself limping, but I am trying to correct the way I walk. I think for being in pain for so long, I favored my right knee and I'm having to retrain myself in many ways.
 
Glad my anticoagulant therapy consisted of aspirin for a few days! The limping is something PT should address--if they havent, ask them to watch you walk and make suggestions. There are tricks to using both walkers and canes successfully, and you're right, years of knee pain can sure make us walk funny. Not to mention that your leg will have to adjust in all kinds of ways.

When I secured permission from PT to ditch the walker and use a cane, and later ditch the cane, they had me walk between parallel rails and observed me closely. They had been unhappy initially that I was "limping" with the walker, when in fact what I was doing was using it wrong. I still have to remind myself at times to lengthen my stride and make sure I am landing on my heel first then rolling off the toes. None of which is made easier by the fact that the other knee seems to have gotten over it's honeymoon with the replaced knee--I think round two might have to happen sooner rather than later.

Keep checking in, always good to know how a "partial sister" is doing!

As regards feeling stiff every morning for the rest of your life... good news bad news--bad news first, probably yes. Good news, you adjust. I started getting creaky in my late 30s and it didnt get better as I moved through my 40s and 50s--getting old is hell, and it starts in the joints; like the boxers say, the legs are the first to go. The key is to stay active and not give in to it--it gets MUCH worse if you sit and do nothing. Having knees that work helps a lot in that area.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey dragonfly. I remember your first post. You are doing very well. Keep up the great work. Be patient.! ( easier said than done. ). I woke up this morning after a very pleasant night relatively pain free with a stiff knee. 2nd morning post op. I anticipate stiffness for months. Its tough dealing with PT and hospital staff at first cause we have know idea about there personalities. They could be Crudmudgins &Know it alls. well breakfast is here. Bye
 
I got to 107 ROM today at PT and many questions answered that I had been wondering about. Pretty good day, except for a lot of stiffness, I think it's from this yucky weather we are having. Keep pushing on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom