MUA Done in Time for the Carolina Basketball Game!

In my opinion, 100% better. I actually bought 2 of them, one for my recliner and one for my bed. The regular bed pillows continue to shift and squish down. Not so the leg elevators.
 
I decided to just do the pillow thing. I used a strap to keep the 3 together, but staggered them like the photo. I used them in bed and DH would carry them down to the main level for the day and sofa naps...

I still use two at night, but find one on the floor or next to each other at this point! I even find myself asleep on my stomach in the AM with no knee repercussions!? I wasn't a fast starter in the beginning though, even the blankets were too much at first! I would just elevate and put a thick sock on for my cold toes!

It looks like you're getting opinions from both sides :heehee:!
 
Sleeping on your stomach this early? Wow!

I'm glad you found a way to make the pillows work for you. As Celle said, elevate any way that works for you.
 
Oh! Oh! Oh! Guess who changed her clothes by herself today! Plus a sponge wash. That was a treat, really. I’ve been through two big leg surgeries before, and I know how good small victories taste!
 
My Acetaminophen is running out today. Does that mean I shouldn’t keep taking it or that I should buy it over the counter? On BoneSmart people seem to really like the acetaminophen. I think it’s been good for me.
 
Great job changing your own clothes!! WHOOT!

Whatever covers your pain for you is what you may want to stick with. People's bodies react differently with acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc.
 
Keep taking the acetaminophen until you feel you no longer need it. Just buy it over the counter - the 500 mg, extra-strength Tylenol.
 
Thanks guys. Ever helpful! I’ve got loads of acetaminophen, from years past. Time to use it up.
 
Make sure you use the correct, safe doses of acetaminophen. Don't use the Tylenol arthritis, which is 650 mg, slow-release.

The most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets 6-hourly, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.

I know that the US FDA recommends that you only take 3,000 mg in 24 hours. That's because they are being cautious, in case people neglect to take into consideration any other acetaminophen that might be in things such as cold cures.
 
My husband has gone to work. Still, too adult sons who can help, and a lot of my own strength to rely on. HOWEVER, I’m anxious and a little resentful. Ugh. I guess my mood is a little wonky from the meds.

I was able to get my own soda from downstairs and bring it upstairs in a little bag, so I kind of feel like a superhero, too!

I keep thinking about people who go through this recovery alone, and I am reminded how lucky I am to have so much help.
 
Yes I have loads of respect for those whom have to look after themselves plus mega respect for those whom have bilateral at once, like you I for the 1st 4 weeks was really looked after once I was more able it petered out now at 8 weeks I only get help with carrying heavy stuff :-)
You will have grotty days just try and be extra nice to yourself, watch a good movie or snuggle up with a good book tomorrow will always be better.
Sending a virtual hug to cheer you up xx
 
On a personal growth note, I just asked my friends for help with food that is easy to grab and eat during the day. My tendency would be to rely on unhealthy sweets, so I need help to have better choices around the house.
 
I was able to get my own soda from downstairs and bring it upstairs in a little bag, so I kind of feel like a superhero, too!
It's those little things that mean so much and together add up to a big thing!
I keep thinking about people who go through this recovery alone, and I am reminded how lucky I am to have so much help.
I was one of those who went through this mostly alone. It took a lot of before planning. It wasn't bad and I had Bonesmart 24 hours a day when I couldn't sleep or got the blues. Plus, I had no one pushing me and telling me that I should be doing this or that and be able to bend more. Being alone had its advantages.
 
Seeing PT tomorrow, first visit. Anxious to unwrap the leg and see how the skin is faring, see how the wound is healing, etc. Today the knee has felt like a really bad scrape, in progress, much of the time.
 
I wouldn't feel comfortable letting PT unwrap your knee if I were you. Only a nurse or doctor should do that. Your knee is an infant and you need to be very careful with it.
 
Only the nurse or your doctor should unwrap your knee, after the surgery a special plaster is placed with anti inflammatory this shouldn't be disturbed at all - I certainly wouldn't allow nor was it ever suggested by my PT to look - be careful as you really don't want to get an infection at this stage.
Speak to your surgeon first xx
 
Good advice. My wound is covered with a waterproof bandage. I think I remember that home PT visits included a wound check. At one week, which is today or tomorrow, I’m supposed to change the dressing at home and send a photo to the doctor’s PA. I’m not doing home PT, but I thought the outpatient PT could do the wound check. Maybe not. I’ll call the doctor about this. Thanks for your cautions!

Oh dear! I just realized that I’m supposed to change the dressing today or tomorrow! Yikes! Empowering and a little daunting!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom