Guest viewing is limited

TKR Done and Dusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Just the patient" with a crew of doctors! Take care and I hope you get home soon.
 
@Maeve, though I'm glad to see you now on the recovery side, I'm terribly sorry about this setback you've had to endure and hope that you see the light at the end of the tunnel before too long. How very scary for you. Please take care.
 
Maeve, I'll bet you bounce back in no time. Sorry you had to go through that.
 
@Maeve just read through your thread - I'm so sorry that you had to go through all that after your knee operation - and happy that you are back on track with your recovery!

Keep well and keep us up-to-date with your progress.

Deb x
 
@Maeve The stress test came back completely normal. I was so relieved but at the same time I told them that it would be. I didn't see how anyone with a bad heart could be as active as I am with no problems. Well 3 times is a charm, lets get this, as your thread says, done and dusted!!
 
Thats great @mystikfairy61 !all hurdles out of the way now! What is your date again now?
I seem to be back on recovery track now. Went to Day Patient Rehab yesterday. Checked out by the Dr...all vital signs good, seems I looked fit enough to exercise...it was great. Think I needed to get the endorphins going!
Did it carefully, needed flexion exercises as I lost so much progress while in emergency,
So an hour in the gym. A massage and a bit of pain as the Physio 'encouraged' the bend. Only 85 when REALLY pushing it!
Lots of lunges and calf stretches. I dont need any strengthening. Then a slow hour in the Hydro.....15 mins of walking...forward, backward, sideways. Fifteen minutes gentle cycling hanging onto edges/ corner of the pool.
The Physio is a nice younfpg guy I know from last time. In fact he is the son og my OS.
He watched mme walk into pool area and said that at the 12 day mark, especially as I lost 5 days of movement during the gastric emergency, I am walking well.
He feels, although hips are difficult and with lots of restrictions, knees are tougher. To really get optimum outcomes post op you need to work through some pain. He doesn't mean just ignoring pain and overdoing it but with each of a selected set of exercises you need to focus on just pushing that little bit further to the point of discomfort. E.G. With lunges you should bend the knee as far as you can, hold for 5-10 secs, bend it a bit forther, hold again and so on...until the pain is about 5/10. I sort of agree with him.
So now I have a clearly targetted set of about 6 exercises to do...on PT days and at home. At home I will do them twice a day. 3 sets of 10-20 Reps.
That's the plan anyway!
Sleep is difficult. I dozed off about 9.30 last night, woke at 11. Read until 12.30. Tried sleep again. Awake, iced, endone at 3 am. Dozed until 6.30 ish.
Getting moving in the morning is tough too. I feel like I've been run over by a steam roller. Icing is a great relief!

So that's my update. @TeeEm seems to be msking fantastic progress!
How Are you going @mystikfairy61?
Thx for you support and good wishes @Wilma, @LeeMarie, @Peaches, @marmora, @janeb and @tiredwife!
 
@Maeve If you find that the day after PT you are stiffer than usual, or that there is more swelling then you may be pushing it too hard. That is something you will have to decide. I am glad you are doing better!
 
Welcome back @Maeve. You're doing wonderfully well. Only do what you feel comfortable doing. Please don't allow anyone to push you too hard. It does more harm than good xxx you sound like your well in the way to recovery after that very scary setback.

I'm so relieved that you're ok xxx
love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@Maeve ,
Looking at your exercise program, you may be doing too much too early. If you have any swelling, tightness, pain, etc the next day you probably need to slow down. Be sure to pay attention to how your knee is doing and adjust your program. It is OK to skip the home program, plenty of time later for more exercise.
We have many members who spend the first month doing little but normal activities, such as walking around the house, and a few heel slides everyday, they have great outcomes.
Sounds like you are doing well, listen to your knee and you will be fine,
 
@Maeve I went yesterday for my preop's and surgery is scheduled for Nov 18th unless they get a cancellation and then it could be sooner. Doing ok at the moment, have the good days and bad days. The part I dread the worst is going without the NSAID's for the week before surgery, but I know that is just part of what has to be done. Will be so glad when I am on the other side. Glad you are doing well after the scare!! Will keep watching for your posts!!
 
@mystikfairy61 Oh I do hope you get an earlier slot. You've waited long enough I think.

@Maeve Go girl. Sounds like you have a fantastic PT who knows just what to do to get you going. The quicker we get over this op the better as far as Im concerned. We have lifes to live. :running:
 
Yes @TeeEm ! That PT routine I outlined makes sense to me. A lot of people on Bonesmart counselled that I was doing too much according to Bonesmart conventions, when I had my hip last year. But ultimately the PT advice was correct as my hip is now a non event!
My fingers are crossed @mystikfairy61 that you get an earlier date but the 18th is not much longer than three weeks so hang in there!
NSAIDS are not my friends as the ones they gave me post surgery combined with the asprin are the probable cause of my gastric ulcers and bleed.
Alwyas having refused them before ai don't know what relief they give but it must be good or they would not be so widely used. Is there another drug you can use fir the week before surgery?
 
@mystikfairy61 Hubby is on Diclofenac and he hated being off it a week before surgery. He could take Tylenol though and that helped some.
 
@Maeve - just read your thread and all I can say is, "Wow!" - you've had a tough time. Glad you are finally recovering!

You mentioned that your leg is now longer than the other due to your TKR straightening it - has your OS or PT addressed that at all? Will that cause more issues down the road, or are you planning another TKR to correct the other one? I guess with the troubles you've had, you don't want to even think about that...I'm just curious how these types of issues are addressed.
 
@Maeve I was told I could take Tylenol and tramadol if needed, but they don't do near what the NSAID's do since they help with the inflammation, tylenol and tramadol don't. I will make it though, just won't be a happy camper for the week before.
 
Hi @lunula ,
Thanks for your good wishes! When my hip was done in 2013 that straightening added 3cms so the right leg was 3cms longer than the left ..because my left knee was shot and not straightening. Now the knee is doe...or at keast when the PT work gets the knee straight, they should both be the same length! Finally! Lol!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom